More Sim-Like Features

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by imonarefactor, Oct 11, 2012.

1. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

rF2 is a simulator (not just a race weekend simulator) and I’d like to take advantage that this isn’t real life to try to improve my racing skills/car setup.

I’d like to see the following:

• To improve my car setups, in practice mode being able to make adjustments to the car during a lap. A pause button where I could change any of the garage settings. This way I would be able to tell the difference quickly of small changes. As of now, I make a change, do some laps to heat up the tyres, notice the affect and then start over. Sometimes it is fun to pretend you are a real driver and go through this routine, other times I want to use the simulator to my advantage.
    • In the alternative to the above, being able to preset the tyre temp and wear so I don’t need to run so many warm up laps.
    • Rewind in single player mode. I am sometimes 20 minutes into a race and BAM; out I go. Since I am in single player mode to practice, being able to rewind to before the crash would be helpful. The race evolves and having to start over doesn’t let me practice the mid and ending stages as well. Of course I could also crash less, and I am working on that too.
    • Setting the rubbering in of the track. Not all tracks are green on Fridays!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

First two suggestions are unlikely. Others we will see.

I'm moving this thread to another forum though. :)

3. lopsided

lopsided Registered

When I am practicing solely to create a set up or set my fastest lap time I set the session to Private, but still choose 20+ cars. Then after starting practice I hit ctrl+A to accelerate things, wait a moment or two and there is plenty of rubber on the track (from the invisible 20 cars) but as they won't be present on track I don't have to worry about other cars interfering with my fast lap time.

I would favor a choice to have the car start on track, sector 3 outlap instead of exiting the pit but not that big of a deal, just cuts time down when tweaking set ups.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What about tire temp? Does it get reset when go to pit?

5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

argh!!!! :)

this is a sim, not an arcade!
    (third point is orrible for me)

Setting the rubbering in of the track. Not all tracks are green on Fridays!

this is a good idea.

6. Neuro

Neuro Registered

You mention sim-like features in the topic's title, and instead, actually you want stuff a bit far away from that. :)
    But on the rubbering I can agree too, that should be good.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1,2 & 3 a massive NO from me!
    4 has been mentioned many times before so hopeful ISI will implement this.

8. Vinceton

Vinceton Registered

Point 3 at first sounds very arcadey. Especially to people who don't give it much consideration beyond, "hey I can undo my mistakes". But when you mentioned being able to practice mid and end game, that brings in a whole new perspective.

In a professional flight sim, they can dial in any condition they want for the purpose of training. Whether it be the weather, time of day, failure of 1 or all of the engine, or practicing a stalled plane. You don't have control over weather in real life, right?

Another not so good analogy would be photoshop. I've replaced pencil and paper with photoshop for doing my sketches, and although real life doesn't have an "undo" button, I find it absolutely necessary if I want to maintain the same quality(Wacom tablets are great but still no match for real media). The reasoning is that if you're going to impose limitations due to technology, at least give advantages elsewhere. God opening a window when he closes the door, so to speak.

9. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Registered

Negative on Point 1 2 and 3.

10. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Yes it does.

11. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

1, 2, 3 nonono.

4 yes!!

12. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

@Neuro
    I say sim like features as in I want to simulate various events. F1 teams use simulators as tools, as opposed to most rFactor users that use it to simulate real life. I want more access to tools, like instant car setup and being in control of the time... all while in single user mode. Online racing won't change in this.

From Vinceton
    Is exactly what I mean.

I don't see why there is so much negativity for these suggestions, as if you don't want to use them, you are welcome to continue to setup and practice the way you like.

Additionally, for the tyre temp and wear, having the ability to adjust it would be both a realistic feature, as many F1 teams use partially used tyres in the races and well as a learning tool, for example setting the wear right to the end of the life of the tyre to practice driving in such a situation.

rF2 focuses lots of recreating real life, but I would like to leverage the fact that this isn't real life to improve my race skills in a time effective manner.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  13. osella

osella Registered

I can't but agree with guys here, the only thing I like is #4. The rest is really the opposite of sim features =)

14. Neuro

Neuro Registered

I agree on that, but it would be more close to reality if modders did a "used tire" compound option in their mods.

Still, I think that rewind-like features shouldn't be part of a sim. You have the replay, you can learn from it and do things differently next time. It doesn't really matter if you want to do that offline only because it just doesn't fit to simracing at all... that is why most people says not to include it. :)

15. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

I assume then you have never played a flight simulator? Setting up specific parameters to improve your skills/save you time are what sims are all about.

Do you think F1 teams do multiple warm up laps for every simulation they run? They don't have that time to waste, nor do I.

One great thing about rFactor is that you can use it to simulate a race weekend. rFactor is weak is allowing you to use the fact that it is virtual to push the limits on what you can learn from the cars.

I feel the argument to not include these features is the equivalent of saying that a word processor shouldn't have cut and paste functions because a typewriter doesn't have that. We use computers to go forward, to stay the same. If you all want reality, we should send you to the hospital after a massive shunt and bill you for the damage to the car;)

16. osella

osella Registered

Well, that's your opinion, which most of simracers won't agree with.

Your #4 suggestion is different from the first 3: having the possibility to set track rubber literally only saves time, it doesn't make the sim easier or less realistic because after many laps, the track *would* be rubbered no matter how bad you drive.

But being able to change any part of the setup or travelling back in time? That's purely fantasy world which would decrease the difference between experienced driver and bad driver so that's probably why I dislike it.

Also, have you played any other sim besides rf2? I played many and none of them had similar features, guess there is a reason for that (SHIFT or DIRT arent sims).

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I don't think I like this feature, and I don't think it is good for the game. The game is mainly used as an online game (also you say that you use single player just as practice mode). I think having such feature, will make the online worse. There will be people (maybe not you, but at least some) that will create a more dangerous drivingstyle, and they will take more and more risk, since they can get away with it in single player (which some, like you, use to practice). Therefore I think you will see more 'mayhem' in online races (especially public races off course).

This would be nice, and realistic as well, because like you say, not all tracks are green on friday (except maybe the green hell..... HAHAHAHAHA..... stop laughing please..... I know this is funny, but surely not that funny..... please, relax, you can act normal now.)

Disclaimer: This is in no way funny, sorry!!!!! Just having a little laugh myself :rolleyes:

18. Vinceton

Vinceton Registered

What are you smoking? You can hit the reset button, so you're already in fantasy land.

19. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

Firstly, #4, saving time is important. Secondly, it isn't realist to wait for many laps in P1 to be done before going out if the track has been used daily.

rFactor has lots of fantasy, the esc button, the fact you can add ABS to 1960s cars, brake assist, you can accelerate time, pause time etc. The main reason for asking for instant setup changes is to increase my learning on the affect of those changes. I can imagine spending hours doing instant changes and really learning what the affects are. Currently, just as in real life, other factors like tyre wear and weather can trump the setup change so I can't learn as quickly (and having commitments outside of rFactor means I need to spend my time wisely). You may be correct that this diminishes the difference between a skilled and unskilled driver, however I use rFactor to learn about cars, not to simulate a competitive racing season.

There are even fantasy mods, which are fully unrealistic.

rFactor can both be a substitute for real racing and it can also be a training tool. I don't think they should be mutually exclusive.

20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Well i have to side with the OP. If you like detailed sim of real life then you can play rf2 that way. But others have limited interest in that and just want to maximize the utility of their seat time. Why deny us that? Make everything optional. i really like the idea of not having to reheat the tires after a setup change.