Fanatec CSW 'death rattle' with F2 car

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by sg333, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

I've done some brief testing with other cars but the F2 is by far the worst with this:

On default wheel and RF2 settings, the Fanatec Clubsport Wheel has very loud and violent jolting driving the F2 car. It feels and sounds similar to what the G25 does with... well, everything. This only seems to affect the F2 car, and to a small extent, the Renault Megane.

Most of my testing has been on Palm Beach, and even driving through some corners, the F2 car gives very violent and loud jolting sensations. Its best described as feeling like im hitting huge rocks with the undertray. Driving off track onto grass and *some* kerbs seem to produce the same feeling, but oddly just driving around some turns (such as the last long hairpin) give the same effect.

I have:

- changed the car setup to a much higher ride height, changed downforce, tire pressures; no change.
    - decreased the ingame FFB setting. Does not help much; only seems to eliminate any actual FFB feeling but jolting still remains.
    - edited the INI overall controller setting; as above - seems to eliminate FFB feeling entirely with any combination of ingame+INI but does not eliminate jolting unless at very, very low figures, far beyond having ANY FFB feeling left.

The GT cars, Clio, Historics, FR3.5, FISI are all 'acceptable', some requiring only a minor ingame FFB effect lowering to be completely smooth. The Megane does give me a similar effect to the F2, but not nearly as bad (i have not individually lowered settings for this car, so not sure what it takes to eliminate the issue)

The CSW is running on latest drivers and all settings default out of the box.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

First of all, use the included screw for quick release unit as it does have some free play which might cause a lot of annoying rattle... at least that happened in my case.

Which rim do you use?
    If you use Formula rim, then its rpm LEDs might have tiny amount of free play (not LEDs directly, but that piece of semi-transparent plastic in front of them), which also will be noticable as slight rattle you could hear "somewhere near the rim".

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'm talking about a house-shaking rattle, not something little. These are massive jolts from the force feedback. Its like the G25 kerb rattle, but if anything worse. As i said, its mostly fine (perfect, infact) with the other cars, but it seems like something is going horribly wrong with the Formula 2 car's force feedback.

4. TechDaddy

TechDaddy Registered

It’s the table clamp that’s rattling… I have the same problem, just remove the top portion of the clamp and bolt it directly to the bottom part.

5. clock

clock Registered

I have the same problem, i was thinking that in some cars the damper effect was low (and the wheel did not come to center on the turn and it produces the rattling but no i was wrong)....

i feel it in some cars (F2, senna, megane (little), and it depends on the track that it goes so hard or feels better....

Maybe its the effect of tires struggling so hard in curves...

My settings
    Sen = 540 or 900 depends on car..
    FFB = 100
    sho = 100
    ABS = 100 (use fanaleds to make the brake vibrate on blocking wheels).
    Drift = off
    FOR = 150 (not sure now because i change it few times)...
    SPR = 50
    DPR = 50

6. TechDaddy

TechDaddy Registered

Think I spoken to soon… After adjusting the clamp I still get a rattle effect, which resembles my DFGT. Wonder if the V032 update has something to do with it?

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

I have the base bolted directly to the clamp, and its tight as tight can be. Its 100% the FFB effects.

Are you guys having the same problem as me, where its mostly F2, somewhat Megane, and everything else is OK?

EDIT: mine shipped with FW 32, so i have no experience with it any other way. I'm going to assume the issue is RF2 related anyway, as its only 2 of the cars doing this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I didn't see reports of this before the latest firmware, so I emailed the wheel maker.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks Tim!. Driving me nuts when the best car in the sim is doing this :(

10. DavidG

DavidG Registered

Well I’m glad it’s not just me! Although, I find that all the modern open wheelers are too harsh over curbs and bumps. The F2 is definitely the worst though; my wheel literally tried to shake itself apart the other night when driving it around Snetterton. Fortunately, it just turned out that the 4 screws on the front had loosened and there was no damage done. What’s ironic about this is that I feel that the force feedback on the F2 is too light, and then you hit a curb and suddenly your tyres turn to hardened steel. I hope it is a firmware/driver issue and can be sorted, as it’s not just rF2 where I have issues (I had boxes falling from the shelving on my desk whilst playing Project Cars the other day). In fact, at the moment, I’m pretty unimpressed with my very expensive new wheel.

11. clock

clock Registered

yes same for me, my wheel is attached to hard my cockpit and it makes it ratling all when it starts on some curves and i think that all my team could heard that on Team speak, as the hard noise activate the micro, all open wheelers have that effect, the best FFB is from clios or Nissan cars, and the worst one is F2, that is rattling every curv as you try to go on the edge, and F2 have another problem on mine, that is that the wheel get softer as you are turning on curves, it did not try to recenter as clios or nissan, and that give me a bigger effect of rattling (as its only hard rattling and not doing force to center the wheel..)..

If its a firmware problem we will feel it on other games, as it works perfect on LFS and netkar pro, and some cars in rfactor2 i think is due the related to the ffb on that cars..

P.D: i'm with 032 firmware base, and 32 driver..and the ffb on wheel as i posted before..

what are you settings on SPR and DPR???.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
  12. DavidG

DavidG Registered

To be honest, I don’t know which firmware my wheel has Clock (how do I find out anyone?), but I’ve had the wheel for about a month and I haven’t changed the firmware. I’ve tried driver versions 1.32 and 1.40, but there seemed no difference between them. I have SEn, FF, For, SPr and dPr set at 100; SHo, AbS and drI are off. I have tried For at lower settings.

I don’t play NetKar or LFS, but I do have problems with other games. Ironically, it’s the newest programs (rF2 & pCARS) that are the worst and rF1 is probably the best! Because of this, it was my belief that it was the wheel that was at fault. I’ve always thought that the FFB in rF2 and pCARS was too severe and just believed that the issues with the wheel are magnified greatly when playing these games. Frankly, there are times when I can’t believe the CSW is belt driven; the harshness of the forces and the sounds that come from it are more like a cog system tearing itself apart. I’ve described what I sometimes feel as like driving a car without tyres or suspension over cobbles. Until I happened upon this thread, I believed it quite likely that my wheel was broken.

Incidentally, for some strange reason rF2 has started failing to read the H-shifter. There’s nothing wrong with the shifter itself, it functions perfectly in other games, but I keep missing shifts and having to shift 2 or 3 times until the gear will engage.

13. clock

clock Registered

you could know the firmware when turn on the wheel, the first number that appears is the firmware..
    1.40 i think that this driver is for CSR elite and others wheels, not for the CSW..
    1.32 is the lastest driver for the CSW if i'm not wrong...

I only have the rattling in some tracks (depending on the track i will have more or less or nothing)
    The F2 is the car that i'm having more troubles with the FFB. Rattling and loosing centering force on curves..
    Here again my settings try them if it improves your feelings..
    My settings
    Sen = 540 or 900 depends on car..
    FFB = 100
    sho = 100
    ABS = OFF (use fanaleds to make the brake vibrate on blocking wheels).
    LIN = OFF
    DEA= OFF
    DRI = off
    FOR = 150
    SPR = 50
    DPR = 50

Edit:i start to think that rattling is more related on tracks build and if the car has stiff springs and tires that makes the rattling harder, for example i feel so much rattling in Nordschleife inclusive with BT20 car... And so many people feel some rattling with G27 or others wheels.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  14. sg333

sg333 Registered

I see Fanatec released a new driver version 142 today; has anyone tried this? There are no notes so ive no idea if it fixes anything and dont have time to test it.

15. 88mphTim

let's hope we were one of 'several small bugs'

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Did a brief test; no change with F2 car. :(

17. 88mphTim

Then I'd have to say if it started when you updated the firmware, it's still there, and caused by it. If it had started with the 107 update, or the F2 by itself, I'd blame us... Are you guys sure it happened at the same time?

18. clock

clock Registered

i could not answer that, because i started on rfactor 2 with 107 build...
    but it happened to me with firmware 129 and with the new 132 firmware of the CSW wheel...
    i'm still with 132 driver, have to try that new 142, but will wait to know what new features has or wich has gone...

i start to assimilate that rattling, soon i will love it, bacause it tell me that i'm loosing my front tires grip, and it happen exactly when front tires are turning and the tires micro slide and get grip again, micro slide and grip, again (while you are going on the edge turning)....

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

My wheel came with FW32 and driver 132 - there is no firmware update. I have been on RF2 107 for all of my CSW testing

20. 88mphTim