Build Updates taking too long?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flibberflops, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Ok, I fully expect this thread to be pretty controversial. However, I believe that the time taken between build updates seems to be way too long?

Firstly, it must be pointed out that I am talking about the builds not content.... RF2 seems to be using a system where content is mod added in a seperate process, and yeah I understand that stuff can take some time. However, the actual builds are supposed to be fixes, tweaks and updates.... I cannot understand why weeks need to go by before another one can be released?

In the end this is a beta program, but It feels more like a gold game that is only getting patches when a comittee of private beta testers have spent 2 weeks testing the updates... which I think is making the forum stagnent about 3 weeks after each release.

There is another "car" beta game that releases builds on a weekly basis... and indeed almost a daily basis to some. Yeah, you get stuff half finished and not correct all the time... but it involves the people that are supposed to be on the beta?

For my mind, little and often keeps the momentum going, however I am sure others will dissagree?

1 person likes this.
  2. Craig Booth

Craig Booth Registered

Another one spoiled by PCars. Just reading the thread title, I guessed PCars would be mentioned. Seriously I feel for people who can't tell the difference between how the two are funded. I'm guessing many other games in beta get the same comparison crap on there forums also.

3. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

A) I never mentioned any other name
    B) That was only a small portion of the point I was making
    C) I am not sure how funding stops you from release updates regularly... even if it is one fix? I find it hard to believe that over a month can pass and there is nothing to chuck out as an update!
    D) Getting regullr updates to test... in a beta program. How is that "spoiling" someone?

However, well done for biting.... I am sure many others will also

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You never mentioned it directly but it's quite obvious what other game you're referring too. Obviously you want to rile up the locals especially with your last sentence!

Finally and yet again, every game company goes about beta processes differently so there is no defined way of releasing updates...it's up to them when they please....not us!

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I try to answer you:

It is misinterpretation of the stage name. Even if called "beta" it is no beta and never was. It is some early development stage when things being prototyped, developed (sometimes by trial and error, I feel) and tested with help of community. What you expect to be a fix, in fact it is next testing build. Sometimes a build fixes some things but breaks another. It's just not stage when only fixes to final product are released.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  6. Alesi

Alesi Registered

agree, it another stage. if it was a beta updates every week or two will be fine, but this is not that stage as MaxyM said

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Here with go with the " this is not a beta" comments, lol Sorry Maxym I had to say it :)

Honestly though, ISI or at least Tim has mentioned on more than one occasion that this "beta" was put out so modders can see what is going to be involved in creating content for rF2. There was no other purpose for the release. The fact that the "updates" are taking longer than some care for is beside the point. If you don't like waiting for the updates, then leave the beta and sign back on when the sim is released, simple as that.

8. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

How are we to judge? We're not making them. Only ISI can define and evaluate their progress.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Nice line... not!

So your posting here to see how many people you can get to "bite"?

Says it all really... :rolleyes:

10. 10speed

10speed Registered

You are right, I could lean back and just wait. But to be honest that's not what I was expecting for the 65 Euros already spent. Somehow the announcement that all regular buyers get 6 months additional free online use made me think that the beta period would last just as long. Foolish thought I know ...

All users can evaluate the progress of rfactor2. 9 months have passed since the first beta and most major features are incomplete, not working properly or not working at all: weather, real-road, tire-model, graphics, bugs in multiplayer ... First previews of rfactor2 were shown in 2008, now it's late 2012. Considering the beta development progress I am not expecting 1.0-release for 2013. Of course it might be that internally rfactor2 is close to being finished but that's very doubtful.

11. perplex

perplex Registered

close pls.. one of 100 threads in that forum ... trolls are coming again - vacation time i guess...

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's was not mentioned to be "this is not beta" flame. It was simply explanation. When in real beta, updates might be released even weekly, because in most cases it's case of just independent fixes . But when product is in early development, even small features might affect a lot of code, which additionally may require to perform tests for greater part of existing product etc. In result it is not possible to release build in short time periods. I'm talking about simple rules, however one who is not experienced in this area may just don't know about it.

To be honest I'm not sure about it, since rf2 is still changing, there is lack of documentation, a lot of features are disabled etc. However I can see one good thing: modders (especially 3d creators) has been forced to work with 3dmax mainly which may resulting better quality at the end. They got a time to get used to this environment and requirements.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

It was the intention to be only 6 months. Clearly they didn't make that. However, Tim has previously stated that if the beta phase would last longer, then the additional time would be added to those 12 months (So that you still have 12 months in gold). At least, that is how I understood, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, when reading some comments of the staff/testers, I get the idea that in the public beta there is more then enough stuff lacking compared to private beta. In other words, I personally have the feeling that ISI is further along then it looks to us. I have a feeling that the beta will allways look as not nearly ready, and then at one point, when no-one expects it, the rabbit comes out of the hat, and it is gold. Off course, I might be wrong, but looking at it this way feels better anyway, and makes it way easier to cope with the excitement for this game ;)

14. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

How could you dare? Any kind of critisism is strongly prohibited in these forums.
    A few simple rules, which will help you being accepted over here:
    1. If there's anything you don't like about rf2, it's an subjective feeling which can only be wrong.
    2. any statement from ISI, official or not, has to be interpreted in a positive way: if they mention that the beta would take around 6 months, it's very clear that they did not put it in stone, hence you must be stupid to really think they meant 6 month.
    3. it's rude to ask for updates, even if you paid 65€ 10 months ago
    4. it's stupid to ask for updates, as ISI know exactly what they do > also refer to #1
    5. it would even be rude from ISI to inform us on updates
    6. never ever mention any other racing games because there are none and there will never be some, never ever!
    7. never compare rF2 developement with anything, it's not comparable at all.
    8. be aware of "THE" default answer: you did not buy the beta but pre-purchased the game with access to beta. > all other rules are based on this fact.
    9. Not getting a response from ISI is the way you wanted to communicate with ISI. If this is not your feeling, you're wrong.
    10. Last but not least: ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, include a "THANK YOU TIM" or "THANK YOU ISI" in your posts. You should gratefull for anything that comes along, even if nothing comes.

Apart of this, I must say that I enjoy rF2.

2 people like this.
  15. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Exactly right.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hehe :) Good summarize ;)

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

18. ethone

ethone Registered

It's a simple choice between distributing every little fix (which comes with much more overhead, having to prepare builds every few days) and distributing more or less major updates at irregular intervals, whenever something noticable or significant can be distributed.
    I guess most of the small stuff that gets fixed or changes go far over most users' (not just average Joe's) heads.

I'd love more frequent updates/faster progress, since it would mean we'd get better stuff sooner, and aren't we all little children wanting their new toys RIGHT NOW. ;)
    On the other hand I've been personally disappointed with the pCARS progress as well, and I've already switched to only testing a build every three months instead of every single one.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW pCARS at least has road map. I recently read roadmap for sound development. Really impressive (as well as advanced). I Would like to see all those improvements in rF2.

20. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.