Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This is such an amazing piece of road. I can't get enough of it! :)

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

LOL, remember the first few pages of this Targa thread, and comments about getting a Nords track? Look at what we got now, and newer(Nords) version coming soon.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Absolutely :)

4. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Having a weird issue with the AI on this. Not sure if its map specific or just an RF2 thing.

Starting at the back of the pack (Howston G4's) I can take the entire field within the first 20-30 corners or so with relative ease.
    However, I cannot shake them afterwards, no matter how hard I push, they stick to me like glue.
    It's like they're programmed to play follow the leader, as when I (inevitably) crash out and go to view them racing each other they proceed as a nice orderly snake. Heh. :)

Doesn't really matter too much, brilliant track and great fun in the Howston!

5. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Is anybody working on this track? With HDR the most textures especially track surface are way to bright. It would be glorious if someone could release a new version with adjusted textures.

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

+1

;)

7. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

Absolutely true. I tried loading up Targa with the Cobra and immediately wished there was a 'Sunglasses' mod lol

It's actually kind of a distraction.

8. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The Cobra was also the reason why I booted it up! :p

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Try the Lola, for me is one of the best combos, hypnotic.

10. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

And the little Palatov Jet Powered Rollerskate!

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

+1.000.000

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Some numbers.
    1784 textures. Sao Paulo for instance has 417 textures.
    15386 gmt files. Sao Paulo 435.
    1800 gmt files where you have to separate the road mesh from the terrain mesh to have at least a chance to implement a very basic real road (road mesh density is sometimes one poly for 20x8 meters).
    This track is Nordschleife x 3. Maybe when I retire. :p

13. whiplash

whiplash Registered

So what are you waiting for?? :p

14. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

Then, Tosch, this must be the first community-funded retirement.

Please, share a paypal account so we can start making our donations ;-)

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Maybe someone can adjust only the road textures that would be at least a starting point. Tosch?[emoji6]

PS: Wäre doch ne tolle Aufgabe zum Herrentag... [emoji12]

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I really think this approach is the only viable option. We will have to survive with incremental improvements, prioritized, and it will be a long, long, time before it will ever be done. Everyone who wants to use the track will have to shut-up and wait as these small improvements are made and new far from finished versions are released. Hopefully as work ensues, people will be encouraged to see the potential and will be willing to contribute in various ways.

It could be like watching a tree grow from a sapling. Please post here anyone who has the skills and willingness to contribute. Include what component you are able to work on/fix/improve. We'll see if there is support or not to do it.

17. myself9

myself9 Registered

I am a PhotoShop guru, and I am capable and more than willing to help out with textures. I'd initially need a bit of guidance as far as how the files need to be exported, but once I have that info I could bang out files at lightening speed.

1784 textures

Bring it on :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  18. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Just PM one of our numerous modders here. There will surely be one who can say what you have to do. AFAIK you have to desaturate the base texture and add an albedo map but thats only superficial knowladge.

Edit:
    In the Track Technology Documentation is a "Realroad" section. The document is from January 2012 and the section is not very long but together with recent tracks as example maybe this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Just install the rF2 SDK, download the ModDev version (see first post of this thread) of the track and extract it to ModDev\Locations. You will find the textures at ModDev\Locations\Targa_Florio\Assets\Maps. The format is DXT1 and DXT5 for everything that makes use of the alpha channel.
    When you adjust the textures you need a bit of imagination. rF1 textures look always like photographed on a sunny day. There is no sunlight in the gfx engine, so you have to put it in the texture. For rF2 you have to remove the sunlight and that's where imagination comes into play. The end result should look like photographed in fully cloudy conditions. A bright white object doesn't have a bright white (255 255 255) albedo map but instead a grey tone (maybe 200 200 200).
    Use the color picker and check the rgb values. Values greater than 200, regardless which color channel don't exist in albedo maps.
    To get an idea how your albedo map would look like in game (sunny conditions), add a new layer in photoshop on top of the base texture, mode "Vivid Light", and fill it with grey (rgb 180 180 180).

20. myself9

myself9 Registered

Thanks for the interesting info, Tosch.

At first:

---------------------------> Albedo Maps

----> 1000km

---------------------------> My head.

:p

Does the albedo map live in a channel within the DDS?

EDIT: Rather than making you come up with a possibly lengthy reply to my question, I'll do some digging around in the Targa dev files and see how things are setup. Should be pretty obvious. I hope.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015