Lola T280 by PIXSIM [WIP]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Mauro, Oct 1, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think it is as it should, grippy because of huge tires, nervous of all that horsepower, steady (well..) because of aerodynamics of era, I just wish it had more feedback at slower speeds, but this is a problem of all sims atm, afaik.

btw I think rf1 mods were impossibly difficult, I never could feel happy with them, when they spinned they didnt give you any feedback as any IRL car should..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It is a good mod but seems lacking a bit of twitchiness maybe a bit more flex ( tires / suspension ) needed, of course I've never driven a real one but expected powerful cars like these from that era to be less refined

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

getting used to murder machines like f1 eve, arent we :D

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Totally agree with lbird and will go one step further and say amount of grip is ridiculously excessive.

The popularity of this mod is all you need to know that it is way to grippy. Very few would be able to drive this car if it was realistic.

Great mod. Very fun. Realistic? Not.

Recommendation would be to make this a fantasy mod and then do a real Lola.

5. lbird

lbird Registered

I would support kknorpp001 on that subject: It SHOULD be really difficult to drive, because that is what it is in reality. So without any driving aids this car should be a real handful, because we are talking about simulating it, not having a need for speed car here. If that would be not to somebodys liking, then you can always activate the driving aids till it is going like a car on rails.....
    But the basic goal with the physics is always to emulate the real thing as close as possible, otherwise we won't discuss rF2's physics simulation anymore.....

6. lbird

lbird Registered

You are absolutely right John, i can't back up my opinion by real world experience with the actual car (who can?). And yes, pixsim said they used real world references, which i totally believe, because the car looks and feels great.
    I don't want to argue to be right (which i can't prove anyway), i am just interested to have the most realistic representation of the car. And if we compare the actual behaviour of comparable rF1 cars (see HistorX GT40, or the P330 or even the TVR Griffith V8 although they are not 3 litre prototypes), than they seem more believable to me.
    Perhaps this is just because we don't have sufficient understanding of the new tyre model and there are no reference tyres available by ISI from a comparable sports car of that era. I don't know. The Lola just feels way too "easy" to handle for me atm...

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Wouldn't speak of Lola and easy in the same sentence. Clio is easy, Lola is challenging. If everything feels too easy for you then just enjoy winning :p

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

PIXIM has done a top job on their skins too, fantastic attention on historic details

[​IMG]

they even modelled one of my childhood heroes in the seat appropriately

[​IMG]

Jo (Joakim) Bonnier (1930-1972), Swedish, owner and racer of Ecurie Bonnier

[​IMG][/URL]

9. lbird

lbird Registered

No, i am afraid i am not a good racing driver, either IRL or in rF2. Beeing cautious saved my life a couple of times on the road, will stick with that...;)

10. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

Ideally a car should be on fine line of hard enough to drive to keep racing fairly close...but easy enough so that you can actualy race and not just spend whole time trying to control car

To me it doesnt make sense to think that you need a car to handle "realisticly" with no seat of pants feedback ...you would feel g-forces nearing handling limits before you would get a visual cue, which is all you have in this game

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It surprised me how easy they are to drive, they look powerful too & they feel very tight & refined which surprised me considering the era they're from

It can still be an enjoyable mod but do hope some updates come

+not sure if it's up just me but these also really hit frame rates

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Or the Historix Porsche 906. Smaller tires but only two liters and you better know what your doing. Love it. Come on give me a real Lola.

Also, what does "real world reference mean" in this case exactly?

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do not think it looks twitchy at all just needs precise throttle control....like any race car.

Lots of grip what I am, looking at.

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I hear this all the time but the opposite is true. The harder the car the better chance I have. The easier the car is, the more arcade gamers will have advantage. Seems obvious to me.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Disagree. Car does not have to be hard to drive slow. Any car can be driven slow. Driving fast should be very hard in a car like Lola. If you want close racing then Clio is for you.

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I'm going to mod this for my own personal use. I'll come back and rub it in LOL :p

Maybe I'll post some videos to illicit begging. LOL. Is that uncool? Nevermind. Don't answer that.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

DMT, 327 4bolt, Muncie Vgate, 9"

Popped the glovebox when hooked up ;)

18. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

Not sure who said anything about driving slow kknorp to make racing close...what makes racing close is cars that have wider variety of handling thru the corners...easier for a mistake that allows a challenge ....

and basicly point of my original post .....im saying its silly even if you get a car in a game like this to handle 100% like its real counterpart does...when you cannot drive it ...thru seat of pants ...like you can the real one ....

even if you think you are a great driver correcting a twitch because of a visual cue...you would generaly be slow in Real life having to wait that long to correct a misstep ....so i say let sim cars be sim cars and real cars be real cars

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Interesting b/c u drive such pussy cars online.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Me neither. I sure didn't.