Just looking for a few pointers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Hi there all,

I'm new to the rFactor world, and I'm loving it. Bought the beta 2 days ago after seeing some amazing vids on youtube. Pretty much all my previous simming has been in GTR2...and GT Legends :cool:

I'm wanting to try and get a comparison for my laptimes though, and I haven't been able to join any servers for some reason. Maybe it's to do with being in NZ, I'm not sure.

I've managed a 1:25.705 with the Eve F1 around Monaco, and a 1:35.something with the Eve F3, both with the default setup. I don't know how fast that really is, and I also haven't got right into the car setups with the 60's F1 cars. I feel pretty sure I could drop another second off the Eve F1 time with a bit more track learning

Are there any major pointers in regards to car setup with the old F1's? What should my tyre temp profile be?
    I knew how to go about GTR2 for setting up, but this is a whole new kettle of noisy, drifty fish :D

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sounds like you're going pretty fast. Maybe this site will help, but worth noting that the major difference with rF2 is that none of you have done laps in exactly the same conditions, like real life. The times still count for something, but always remember that. :)http://rf2.gplrank.info/

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ahh cool thanks for that, should help a bit :)

Yeah for sure about the different conditions, tracks temps, etc. I was running with 8 AI so I don't run into too many traffic issues as well, which could be a factor. Hav'nt seen many people in online mode either, which is sad :(
    Managed to get down to a 1:25.217 as I'd mucked a couple of corners. Still on the default setup though, as I still can't figure it out.
    I guess it's going to take a few hours just sitting down and seeing what each parameters effect is.

I guess it's that I don't know how they tyres are meant to work, and what temps they should be sitting in. Plus, how extreme can you get with the cambers, etc.

Also, what do people use for recording with rFactor 2? I've been trying to figure something out so I can record while racing. Fraps seemed to be terrible and give me a huge FPS hit. Any ideas?

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Minibull, I LOVE GT Legends, i still play it to this day. If you ever wanna do some online racing let me know. (Havent been online in GTL since about 2007). But yes, RFactor 2 is by farrr the best sim at the moment, in terms of, well, the sim part (which is why we play simulators after all lol).

For recording I like to use DXTory, its probably the 2nd most recommended recording program behind FRAPS, i like dxtory better. It also has options for a frame rate limiter for games that dont have one, I love this feature as I hate using VSync (although vsync looks so beautiful due to its fluidity, it has too much lag for me), so I set the max frames to 59 (setting of 60 seems to actually stay around 61-62 fps, where a setting of 59 keeps the game more often at 60). A constant, non fluctuating framerate can help with some stutters, even if the fluctuations are for example from 123fps -> 87 -> 105, those can still induce stutter, even more so with multi gpu setups. It can also help with tearing. I use this very featue for GT Legends, but RF thankfully has the frame limiter feature built in (every damn game should have this option lol).

Not sure about your laptimes though, re-formatted my computer so dont have RF2 installed atm, I havent played V107 or the F2s yet either, going to try RF2 every 4 or 5 builds or so rather than every build, because I like to wait and get everything at once, rather than gradually build up. Im more of an all or nothing guy, so id rather wait 4 months and get a bunch of updates and new content all in one big shot, rather than gradually build up to it update by update.

Im weird I know lol.

But ya, use dxtory, if you want an awesome car setup program let me know, I can send you one.

Off to do a little GTL :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  5. osella

osella Registered

Welcome to rf world and forums :) For most people it takes some time before they start to love rf/rf2 but once you do you dont really go anywhere else much.
    If you did 1.25.217 on default setup, you're pretty damn fast.

As for recording, I think majority of people use fraps, not only in rf, in all games. Theres a number of alternatives today, besides dxtory theres also bandicam which I tried but I liked fraps better. I also heard about Jing, Camstudio and Snagit. Not sure if those do any good in recording 3d games though.

6. coops

coops Banned

be nice to your mother.

7. osella

osella Registered

^huh?

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Hahaha, yeah there is something about that old Simbin title. It's good fun, and the car sounds are just perfect. Sadly if the GTR2 servers are anything to go by, they took them offline a couple of years ago. Maybe they weren't getting enough players to justify it. Some forums set up their own ones though, for the die hards like us XD
    I'm always down for a race haha

Yeah, fraps drops my frames to 15 odd whenever I try to use it. I'll give that one a shot and see what happens, cheers man

And whats this about an awesome car setup program? Sounds like it could be handy.
    I used to use the Motec software with GTR2, extremely helpful. But with these old things, the only datalogging would be checking the drivers underpants when he comes in...more brown = the car is too scary or something

Well, thats now a 1:24.322. Only thing changed was the brake bias to something a bit more favourable with me. Ran for a good few laps though too, so the fuel would be a bit lower. I uploaded times to the RaceRank thingy that Tim suggested.

I'll give them all a shot, and if one works I'll run with it.

Ah I see, good suggestion :p

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Minibull, you could try MSI Afterburner. It comes from MSI, but works with both nVidia and ATI and is capable of recording video as well as screen caps. Very nice tool.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Jeez that depressing! You won't be needing any advice from me. Unless your desire is to go slower!

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ok, another request for help haha

Is there anyway I can change my rFactor name? I registered with Warwick Bull as I thought it was tied to the payment process, using my Fathers CC. I didn't seem to click this would be my racing name.
    If I could at least match it up with my rf2 Rank name, that would be a lot better :)

12. modmate

modmate Registered

do you know the setup developer tool ? It was on race2play but not longer avilable there No clue whats happend to it, i can send you the tool/link if you like. Its really worth it for getting the right setup.

There was also a thread here about it:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4860-R2P-Setup-Dev-Tool-Has-Anyone-Use-This

But like i said the DL is not longer on r2p , just write down if you need it.

Greets Modmate

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

HERE GUYS!

SETUP TOOL V3.02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://speedy.sh/PsEvn/r2psetupdevtool.rar

- Click on "r2psetupdevtool.rar" near the top, next to "download:" on top of the 5 stars

or

http://www.sendspace.com/file/82javh

- Click on the "Click here to start downloading from sendspace" in light blue box, NOT THE "Click here to start download.." in light yellow box.

You're welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered