I'm bored

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

They still use carbs in racing cars, even though there has been great advanced innovations among car hobbyist, mostly it still is based on simple tech, computer guys are always those skinny pencil necks and so on, I guess that in their culture traditions have strong hold and new stuff gets wide adoption rather slowly. Also as an average Americans prefer easy things over complicated ones, automatic gears for example.

However country is huge, there are ton of people, so there are exceptions too, lot of people that make those maginificient things like Megasquirt, so I would imagine that there should be enough for rF2 online racing too, despite less % from general population than in europe perhaps.

But bring drag racing and ovals, there will be lot of guys then, I guess.

Of course these are just my twisted views of the place from what I have gathered from various of sources, they can also mislead. But I'm sure for example Gearjammer can point errors out, I love to learn things outside my country :)

Also that still leaves Mexico, I remember there being quite lot of sim racers?

Hopefully things pick up for guys in US too, I think that at gold release things will get lot better for there too.

2. Jux

Jux Registered

Is r2p free? It says "get started for free". I want the get finished free as well :p

3. Jos

Jos Registered

arent most US simracers just turning to the left in iracing? :p

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Actually I think it is more about what America is doing right, such as being the leader of the world in innovation, talent, technology, infrastructure, investment capital, productivity & work ethic. :)

Regarding simracing, I suspect that American interest is more from spectator and social perspective (ovals, etc. are good for this) and less from participatory perspective. I don't know a single person where I live locally who is into sim racing, but American football absolutely dominates our culture where I live and you have no chance socially or in business if you don't follow it. The only thing that comes close is basketball but only because my state Kentucky is basketball crazy.

I always joke that I was reincarnated and was originally European b/c all my favorite sports are more European / international, such as auto racing (especially rally), tennis, cycling (especially tour de France), soccer, etc. No interest at all in football (except my son's games :)) or any other American sports.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Finland is still world's best country:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html

No, I don't share that view, but that might be true for those that fit to norms and I guess norms are what in US might limit sim racing, it just does not fit to them :)

But there certainly must be lot of them that are not fitting to norms in such big country, maybe people there are waiting for game to hit gold before buying or maybe boxed versions are those that sell in US?

Still even reading those reasons why, I think there could be something more to it.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Lol, I simply cannot agree to this, I strongly remember free pcs in schools at US at mid 80s at least :)

They are far ahead from Europe in pc usage.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

r2p is free, but there are advantages to being a donator, and they feel that if you want to participate, then why not donate as well to help keep things going as you are using what they are putting together. A fair enough idea, but a lot of folks can't spare the cash right now hehe.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

We had computers at some homes back then, paying bills has been via computers here from late 90's at least (most banking stuff is done via computer here as well as other official form fillings etc.), it is rare to find anyone without computer today as it is really required, late 90's was when pc sales boomed here, by 2006 nearly every home had one and many household started to get more of them. Not sure how it is in rest of Europe though, but I know there are great differences and I would imagine so it is inside to US too? Even I had computer at 80's despite parents were below average income at rather rural area and we had computers at even smallest schools during that time, it was then very quickly everywhere.

I have VW ad from early 70's where they show off computer diagnostics of VW beetle, it surprised me how early those were brought to cars, also I did read about 1967 Camaro how it's rear suspension was designed with computer. I think computers were used much earlier everywhere what first can be thought of.

But what I referred to computer guys being those pencil necks, is how every US movie, cartoon etc. portraits computer guys, they create those stereotypes and often it is not made completely from the air, usually there is some real backing to that.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

LOL!

10. Shane

Shane Registered

The US has way more oval tracks (dirt and pavement) than road coarses. They are the roots of American racing. ISI is American based and snubs the oval racing, that is quite interesting, but maybe a lot of the staff have European backgrounds. Ovals are not popular there. It is what is for us oval racers (especially dirt). I have participated in special races in rF1 with 100 + racers showing up to run and it is not hard to find races almost everyday that have full fields of racers. It will die out eventually as rF1 will become boring as modders have done all they can with it and rF2 has really no plans on dirt racing, the 2-3 year estimate I've read would be a surprise. I'm not even sure I can stay interested in it long enough to wait. Pavement ovals maybe sooner but rules need to be adjusted to fit those racing formats (not sure how that works, if that's modders or ISI content).

I will not purchase rF2 until dirt comes along or some good pavement ovals and mods show up (preferably short track), but I will follow along and see how well the community builds content for rF2. I'm sure there will be some amazing cars and tracks made. Wish I could find the interest and enthusiasm in road racing, but I can't, and I have tried.

11. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

Console gaming dominates in the US, as it does in the UK. PC gaming is still relatively popular in mainland Europe.

12. xracer

xracer Registered

Thats partly true...there are some of us Europeans which can adjust ourselves to US times. I live in Norway and i can do racing i guess with those in the US which lives in the area Florida to New Hampshire (am 6 hours ahead in time). But the races has to be run in the area 4 PM to maybe 8 PM US time. I will look into setup of some dedicated server for this when i get the hang of how to do it. Potential problems of course are the ping values we get :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  13. Mauro

Mauro Registered

if you are intresting, every 14 days (on Tuesday) we run a fun event with F1 historic: http://www.iraceonline.com/forum/index.php?forums/race4fun.210

Race format:

All times are CET / GMT+2
    21:00: Practice (55 min.)
    21:55: Qualification (20 min.)
    22:15: Warm Up (5 min.)
    22:20: Race (40 min.)

Damage Level: 40%
    Tyre Wear: 4x
    Start Type: Formation/Standing
    Aids Allowed: No aids
    Auto Lift="0"
    Auto Blip="0"

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

The title of this thread is "I'm bored". From all the irrelavant culture war posts it appears that most of you guys are bored as well. :rolleyes: i got excited to see 32 replies. Thought I'd form a long list of interested left-of-atlantic old F1 drivers.

So far I got:

pluginz
    Kknorpp001
    argo0
    perdy450

plus me makes 5. Can all of you guys race the hours I posted at top? 5 is a start. Let's see if anymore step up. Euro guys are welcome too ( BTW, I love your quaint continent! :p ) if you don't mind staying up late.

15. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Is it F1? Cause F2 and F3 are historic also but of no interset to me.

EDIT: Actually I see it is F1 but the sessions start at 9 Central Euro time. Maybe I can just leave work early on Tuesdays! NOT!

Seriously, I specifically said I want races between 6-9pm USA Central Time. Offers for European night races don't help at all. Good luck with you league. I hope an N S Amercan league can get off the ground.

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

errrrrr.......... it says F1 historic, so I would think so yes :p

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats the way to go! Thumbs up, all the best :)

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Weekend races can be the way to unite the continents. 2 or 3pm Eastern USA is before many of you guys go to bed.

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If I would be ISI, I would set up booth on drag racing event where one can actually do drag racing in rF2 and same for ovals, when they get those aspects of racing and rules done of course.

Something like those coin games, it could display on screen offers for rF2 and during bigger events there could be person telling people about it, that way they would reach lot of car nuts that have never really experienced such possibility.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1 this doesn't work forme either.