I had a dream last night...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

- What if, rF2 could be a new platform for the hole industrie.
    - What if brands like Turn10, Simbin, Codemaster (and so on) would release there DLC's not only for there games, but also for rFactor2.
    - What if all the licensed stuff would be available in perfect quality for one big commercial Simulator. rF2 in this case (dream).

1. There would be no more conversions needed
    2. Companys would benefit from the extra money of those rf2-DLC's
    3. rf2 would evolve much quicker and on a much higher quality level.

Could you please try to imagine such a Simulator.

Some say, the community has to work together and should form groups to get better quality mods.
    Fine, but what would happen if all those Sim/Racing/Game company's would get a bit closer to each other...

Then I woke up and was like,.,.. wooooow.... and a sec. later like: :mad:

Freakin Friday I guess....

2 people like this.
  2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I think you need more tobacco on those cigarettes... :D

1 person likes this.
  3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

What if... it would be true but for other title? ;)

4. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

Buddy, you are dreaming about Microsoft?? :p;)

5. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

+1, Even though it's a nice dream

6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well to be honest it is just that moment that I would love to become true..

Turn on PC
    Load up rF2
    ...update...
    Message: Would you like to add the GT5/Forza4 Endurance-Pack DLC to your install?
    ..click on "more"
    Content:
    - Peugeot 908
    - Audi R10
    - Acura ARX
    - Totoya TS030
    - Honda HPD
    - Ferrari 458
    - Porsche GT3 RSR
    - Aston Martin V8 GT2
    - BMW M3 GT2
    - Corvette ZR1 GT2 (installed)
    - Track: LeMans 2012
    - Track: Road Atlanta
    - Track: Sebring (installed)
    ... click on "update"
    ...ready...
    Start Sim....

I don't know about you guys,...but that would definitely be my Sim-Heaven... :p

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I really doubt there would be any GT5/Forzza4 titles in this/such world. Why should they exist?
    But since ISI left space for competition in a few areas, your dream will never come true.

Ideal world would be if all companies join their forces, experience and resources. One would be responsible for physics, other for gfx engine, yet another for modelling, gathering data (LS) etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

It is interesting to imagine a different industry environment, especially opportunities to increase efficiencies while keeping innovation stoked. To begin with, competition is a great thing and the motivation to differentiate in a market with many players (no pun) and supporting technology advances leads to many improvements like better game design, improved graphics, better physics, deeper immersion, etc. However, in theory, there could be much to gain via some consolidation for example imagine how much more online action there would be under a single platform vs. splintering of the community across multiple sims. Additionally, imagine what kind of amazing mods would come with specialization on mod development and elimination of redundant efforts with collaboration on the best version of each mod verses duplicate efforts building the same mod across different platforms. The same goes with technologies like real road that ISI is developing and graphics from whoever does that best, combined with the best physics, tire model, user interface, etc, etc. And imagine as a sim racer not having to tweak and learn all the technicalities and follow developments of multiple sims and versions of the same mod! In many ways the sim racing industry is in the dark ages while in other ways amazing things are being done. Oh yeah, also imagine the impact of best in class market research and software development and project management efficiencies. It's fun to dream of a world where we could have it all and faster and easier and better. Any industry predictions from anyone?

9. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

That never gonna happen, everyone "wants their piece of cake".

10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Kknorpp001: No more predictions from my side, but I'd like to sign your post. :cool:

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Well now that I think about it hasn't part of this happened already? OK I'm just being optimistic but what about other companies that use rf1 engine? And what about GSC which is a mod for sale?

Edit. Also now thatIthink about it more there are also UI enhancements in GSC and Historix etc. and I also now remember reading somewhere that AC will have much interface moddability. So now we just need an open source vs pay mod competition I the marketplace and also suffer with licensing issues.

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I'm not going to make any friends with this but how 'bout a centralized marketplace for making micropayments for mods like apps with iPhones, etc? I personally would like to support those who do great work andmaybewould help licensing issues also? Additionally, votes that people make with their dollars are good sometimes for separating the cr@p out. Would like to be able to demo first if possible unlike iPhone apps. Thoughts? Maybe ISI or AC already planning content management / marketplace? Free stuff could be there as well for modders thatdon't want to charge.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I put similar idea years ago. Most people didn't like it.
    And there is still problem of protecting mods from using until paid

14. dandar

dandar Registered

Mod encription could be solution, also releasing one car only or one track variant for demo pourposes. But anyways i do not agree with this kind of distribution in any form. I miss those days when modding was a hobby and nobody was struggling to have the ultimate reply on a forum.
    State of the art content would benefit if it remain free, and for sure will improve the growing community.
    I don't think that everyone must follow my idea, but for those who will not agree, should think in the community as a whole, and understand the economics problem on those countrys that are unable to pay for content in usd. Some are banned to buy something in US dollars, and some have so huge differences in currency rate exchange that a 7 dollar mod would cost like a 3 to 9 months of payment.

15. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

No, no no. I don't like this "Apple-like" way of thinking.

Regarding the OP, yes, it's a dream, and it will remain a dream :)

16. Jux

Jux Registered

Just a regular fanboy's wet dream, it will pass.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Why? I really like it. You may buy some precious things very cheap. Game or program for 1 USD? It never happened before.
    Track or car for 1USD? Why not especially if it;s quality work.

@KSzczech, yes, you are right.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The problem with any kind of mod payment is that it takes the whole game up one level in terms of law. Modders would have to officially license content and guess what - pay for it aswell. And those would be some serious money for a modder, therefore our payment would also have to become regular, not micro.

And since money would get serious, each modder or modding group would in fact have to start a company that makes mods, purchases licenses, pays taxes and charges for their products. A regular company as you can see.

I'm not sure if modders would like to take this kind of responsibility. Various modding groups have allready stated that they don't want money involved.

1 person likes this.
  19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Can I remember you guys, that I'm talking about licensed DLC's from other company's which we would have to pay for.

"Modding" and it's role around the rFactor-plattform is not the topic right here...

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Why would another company want that??? Like your codemasters example: They need to invest time (and thus money) in making it work in another game. Therefore they get less sold copies of their own game, so less income (or they would have to make it so expensive, that most will complain again). Also, I suppose it will be REALLY easy to distribute the mod for free (illegal), because all the files are ingame allready (people won't have to do hard work converting it properly, since that is allready done etc.).

As nice as it might sound to some/most, never gonna happen.