you know what I'm really waiting for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Sep 21, 2012.

1. coops

coops Banned

after the great race i would like an update ASAP for RF2

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I remember seeing a tweet by Tim saying that ISI will be releasing Bathurst and V8SC official mod at the chequered flag of Bathurst, but maybe I was just dreaming. ;)

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'd actually prefer ORSM to do that :)

4. coops

coops Banned

i would too they have the best mod out there when it comes to v8s

would be nice to see v8 supercars get behind them as the rest try but dont do it as gd as ORSM

5. martymoose

martymoose Registered

If there was one mod team I would love to turn pro and go the Reiza, Simbin route it would be the awesome guys at ORSM. If they had the opportunity to use a good base like ISI's engine and build a complete V8 supercar sim along with all tracks and maybe a couple support classes such as the utes and maybe "Aussie racing cars" Id happily buy that.

All other attempts with official licensing by others with v8's have been pretty much rubbish and ORSM's have been the best by far. Physics still weren't ever quite spot on but much better then the others and with the RF2 engine Im sure they could do a much better job in terms of realistic physics for this great series.

Beyond that they could make some historic aussie touring cars also so they would have plenty of content to work with and a good sim to pays some respect to the series would be a great way of promoting it. I know there are many overseas series I had no interest in before driving them in a sim and so it would broaden the v8 supercars appeal worldwide, as the brand is trying to spread its wings this would only help. I racing is doing this to a point atm but it doesnt look like they have an exclusive license so there should still be an opportunity to make a sim from the series.

With big changes next year too this would be an ideal time to try and get this out for the launch of the new category so a big opportunity if they would be willing to take up the challenge. But from the few posts Ive seen by the guys there they dont have any real interest in taking this route, which is a bit of a shame as Im sure someone else will likely step up and do this and the last thing we need is another arcade v8 supercar game.

6. coops

coops Banned

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Me too.

Maybe it's time that we create a portal for projects (pCARS style??!!) where these will be funded (by those of us who are interested) so that people get interested to develop awesome mods!?

Dunna know..just an idea. I will surely chip in...

:rolleyes:

8. martymoose

martymoose Registered

The hard thing with that approach is with modding and profits, in order for a mod team to legally make money they would need to have a license and full rights to do so, otherwise they can only produce a mod and release it for free as this is somewhat excepted by most license holders but not all if you see the recent Porsche mod cancellation. Making a donation to mod teams is about the best way of getting around that but donations will rarely ever cover basic costs let alone make them any sort of money they deserve for the time and effort spent. Making mods you dont have permission from the rights holders is always a tricky subject and you can be shut down if some other company has bought the rights to make a game, they will then try hard to shut down the mod and all that hard work may never be officialy released due to possible legal issues. There are also ways around that with avoiding using brands and names but unless you have all the legal rights to make and release something your always in a bit of a grey area. If you dont make any money from it there is a little more leniency but once money is involved then the licence holders will normally pay a bit more attention.

Im sure ORSM will make a great free mod for RF2 still but if they were to take the route of Simbin who made some great GT racing mods for F1C before making the GTR sims. You would think if V8 supercars would see the quality of work these guys have made in the past then they would be a great team to make such a sim commercially if both side were interested in such a project.

The advantage of going that route over a regular mod is they would have much better access to all they need including cars data and all the tracks being able to get much more in depth and also full access to the game engine allows for much more then a mod. That and they would actually make some money out of it too and be able to dedicate much more time into the project then just a part time mod team.

But as I said its only really a dream of mine lol as I dont think they are interested in going that way and we will need to settle for another cool mod from them, and still no real decent Aussie v8's racing sim that can be enjoyed by more then just those that have RF2.

9. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Heh, I understand. you're right.

Why life has to be so complicated! Maybe once we go to 'heaven', we can have all the fun we want :)

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Exactly, like a Kickstarter for mod teams.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you're going that route, first thing you need to think about is officially licensing the content you are being paid to build.

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

And together with this, you need to make sure all the software you are using is licensed for commercial work. When adding these costs together, people can easily understand why modding is not viable way of making a living.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Initial costs can be huge, but then again, I don't think anyone that mods is planning on modding for a living. Possibly they are planning on creating 3D designs for a living, but not mod.

14. dv8r

dv8r Registered

Here is a working prototype i have created. It does create a realtime weather condition ( within some degree of accuracy ) which is created before the server gets loaded. Not exactly dynamic, but it is possible to generate it on the fly. based on current or forecast conditions.

View attachment 5795

I plan to add more configurations at a later point once ISI go to release.