Fanatec CSW with BMW or Formula rim owners - Share your settings

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by GTFREAK, Sep 16, 2012.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

I was wondering if all of you CSW owners wouldn't mind sharing your rFactor 2 settings.

I own the CSW with the BMW wheel, but really haven't tweaked it just yet.

Anyone care to share what sort of numbers you're using for your wheels and in game?

2. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I'm interested in this, too. I have a CSW with BMW wheel on the way.

3. coops

coops Banned

looks like its up to u 2 guys ;)

4. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Apparently =)

Well, I usually set my in game FFB to .90 and use 200% Force on the wheel itself. I haven't really tested a lot of settings yet, so I need to tweak the setup for sure.

I am guessing that 1.00 is 100% in game? So I am assuming that .90 is 90%...

That being the case, I remember there was a great write-up on how the in game FFB should always be set to a low number because of "clipping". If it's set to a much higher number you get forces that can't be felt due to clipping. So I tend to dial down the in game FFB because of this and set a higher number of "Force" on the wheel to compensate, which is what was suggested in the write-up.

I can't remember who wrote it, but it had some very valuable information in there regarding proper FFB and the settings to go with it. I'll have to look it up again.

At any rate, my above settings are temporary. Anyone else care to share theirs?

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

TBH I don't change anything, well maybe sometimes I increase FFB mult a bit, but that's all. FFB is good (except for the F2 car) so I don't see the point in changing anything.

6. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

If you take a look at TechAde's pedal plugin, you'll understand why it's probably good to change your settings.

When you set your FFB Multiplier too high you introduce clipping. This can have some undesired effects. Around the center you will probably feel most things, but when turning, you are asking more from your FFB motors than they can handle (if set too high).

This is why it's good to change the settings to either what you prefer, or what the wheel can properly simulate without clipping. If what you prefer happens to be the latter, then all the better.

However, if you prefer a higher multiplier, then you might not be experiencing everything your wheel has to offer.

Just to give you an example, I set my FFB multiplier to .75 in game and 200% on the BMW wheel. With these numbers I can watch the pedal plugin and it's telling me that at the highest forces my wheel is almost clipping, but not quite.

I prefer to feel what was intended, rather than cranking the power up and not feeling the little things.

Anyhow, it's all subjective. Do what you prefer.

7. coops

coops Banned

keep up with the info guys..... im interested as i would like the new csw but us Aussies left in the dark at the moment on being able to buy 1.. just hoping by the time i get 1 there will be a lot more help than what your getting at the moment.

8. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Well I didn't say that I increase the forces that much. Usually I drive with mult 1.0, sometimes I increase it to 1.1 or something. Generally BMW rim is heavier so I increase FFB mult, for formula rim I decrease force a bit.
    Oh and and in the wheel itself I have 100% strength.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

CSW on the way; can anyone tell me what the situation is with firmware and drivers? Should I upgrade anything out of the box?

10. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks. Does the new firmware make much of a difference? I dont have the wheel yet so not sure what FW it will ship with, but ive heard of bugs with newer versions.

12. elcoco

elcoco Registered

The new firmware work well for my csw with formula rim, but i only use with Rf2

13. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

This is a caution to all of you CSW owners out there.

Be very careful with the motors that are inside. Mine went bad after about 4 hours of use. They started getting that coggy feeling to them and became useless. I have since sent my wheel and base back for a full refund.

My experience may be isolated. However, there have been numerous reports of others having the same issue. Just a fair warning. You may want to consider upgrading the fan that's inside to cool off those motors.

I hope your experience is not like mine.

Cheers

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

I've been following some threads on various forums but havent heard of that issue, got a link?

I waited hoping some early issues might be resolved, such as the F1 rim paddles, so hopefully any teething issues will have mostly been ironed out by now in production. Seeing as they have sold out at first im guessing a large quantity shipped, hence statistically there are bound to be some faulty units out there.

15. thuGG

thuGG Registered

My wheel also broke down. I think I also got the cogging feeling before it broke. After that, when I made 1 or 2 turns of the wheel the FFB was turning off.
    I reported this problem to e-support on wednesday, no answer so far:mad:

So, Fanatec lives up to their reputation sadly...

EDIT:
    Also, this is strange advice to be careful with FFB motors. How should I be careful? What I'm doing wrong with it? I'm just using the wheel by turning it. Fanatec should put motors that don't brake down when in use.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I completely agree with you. The motors inside are meant to be turned and used for FFB. The wheel was designed as a FFB wheel. Period. You shouldn't have to use caution AT ALL. If better motors were used, this wouldn't have been an issue. Yet, it is.

Which wheel did you own? The BMW wheel? I'm not sure if this is the cause, but it seems that a lot of other owners of the CSW and Formula rim have the same problem. Very sad indeed. This is the second wheel I have owned that has gone bad due to faulty motors. I never even set the FFB high enough to supposedly do any damage to it. I always set the FFB lower than what is recommended because of clipping issues.

This shouldn't happen. I think Fanatec really needs to think about what FFB is supposed to do. If you go cheap on the FFB side (which is exactly what the wheel is SUPPOSED to be used for) what's the point?

Ugh!! Really makes me angry that I spent $700 on that setup only to have motors fail after about 4-5 hours of use total.

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok, Fanatec responded yesterday, so that's good:)

I own both rims, but it broke down when using Formula rim.
    Also I got more "milege" than 4-5 hours, I think maybe 40-50 hours of total use.

It's very sad that it's happening, because I really really like the wheel, I love the FFB and the feeling. It was a hard time to get back to my old G27;)

18. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Thx for the tips GTFREAK, i use your settings now on both the formula and BMW wheels!

What settings on the wheel do you guys turn on/off or adjust depending on the car used?

To what function do you map all these buttons on the wheels ingame? Anyone knows what functions the buttons has IRL?

And can i adjust the revleds on fanaleds? Now it starts to blink to early i think (for gearing up), atleast compared to Dashmeter Pro. Or maybe fanaleds start to blink at the exact moment the powercurve is at the top and therefore are more exact?

Is there no in depth pdf-manuals available except some shallow youtube movies about this advanced hardware!?

I have seen many wearing gloves when using these wheels, why? I have tried racing with my MTB-gloves and the feeling is pretty good, but is that the only reason to use gloves?

19. thuGG

thuGG Registered

I don't change any settings when changing cars.
    Only when I change the rim to BMW I usually set a bit stronger FFB.

As for the gloves, I don't use them but I plan to, because the sweaty hands doesn't do good to the alcantara fisnish.

20. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Ok, thx for replying thugg, so you can see wear on your alcantara already after 40-50 hours use? Is it like salt-stains from sweat or is it physically weared down, or both?