Collision model - Game breaker - however no priority?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTrFreak, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Nick88

Nick88 Registered

That's why he's asking? I am guessing...

2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

;)

3. stonec

stonec Registered

The known issues file is 95% the same content as in the first rF2 build when I compared them, I don't think it reflects the development very well. Yet damage has been altered by ISI in the previous builds, as Tim states on page one.

As Johannes said, I would like to understand if this is a mod issue or an engine issue, since certain cars seem to behave better than others. If there are damage properties in the mod that can tweak this behaviour, I would be happy to know, as it would be a potential quick fix.

4. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

Engine issue 100%.

5. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

im not so sure its 100% engine issue tbh mate...our league used a damage file directly from our rF1 mod into our rF2 mod and it works very well, we havnt had any of the issues that the above videos have shown.. in fact it works better than it did in rF1 as the wheels dont go inside each other on contact anymore (open wheeler)

6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Only weird crash I see here is in second 9... all other I think are OK, maybe a little ugly because of the poor replay quality but nothing strange. Improvable? Of course, but nothing that prevents to race with any problem... if you want to finish the race, you have to drive the car like if were yours. Some people thinks that contacts at 100kmh desn't affect the cars in real world.

7. coops

coops Banned

the thing we found was those that had a high ping in game was causing some bad crashes maybe set the ping to your server lower that might help. know its not a fix but does help. IMHO i believe more work on it and the tyre mod and mechanical damage and it will be perfect for league racers. not saying its not good enough at the moment.

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Some weird stuff happening with the WSR3.5, I've had my car barrel roll on a straight with no contact from anyone (damaged front wing).

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hope you're posting that in the bugs forums? Easy for me to miss it here. :)

10. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

:D

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Its like the cars had mini cat fights in the middle of the race.

12. 10speed

10speed Registered

Martial arts?

13. marcatore

marcatore Registered

chuck norris was in melbourne... :)

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

to be fair thats a mod damage bug not a game damage bug

15. Axly

Axly Registered

The guys at Bugbear certainly have another focus than ISI, but still? :)

16. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Flatout series damage model has always been nice. But it is a lot different from rF1 which has dynamic vertex damage (I believe this will be the case with rF2 as well). Flatout has pre-made damage models. Such thing would not work in rF2 because many modders would not bother to make nice damage models (a lot work!), so we would end up with indestructible cars. Thus vertex damage is good compromise.

17. Alesi

Alesi Registered

it will be amazing if such damage system will be made in RF2

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Noticed this a lot lately

Maybe as a quick fix & if possible
    Some code could be implemented
    So if a simcar raises above the track by a certain amount (5feet?)
    Then the forces of gravity increase by x5

If there is gravity on he sim world!

19. Johannes Kunkel

Johannes Kunkel Registered

The main problem here, and it´s something I have noticed on other servers and in other races, is that the collision between the two vehicles causes some sort of server freeze that makes all cars lag hugely and causes collisions between cars close to eachother all over the circuit.

The behaviour in this main collision here isn´t a Mod bug as well i think, i have seen similar behaviour with isi content (and as far as i know, this mod uses the exact Formula Masters damage model).

20. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

I'm not talking about on-line/net code here, but single player mode...

Some of the basic vehicle dynamics/physics looks wrong to me. Even before you hit a barrier, across the grass the cars appear to wobble/oscillate just on the roll axis and at a frequency you'd expect from a toy car a few inches big. Hitting the barrier they bounce off unrealistically - and I'm trying to allow for lack of damage model and guessing there's therefore a lack of energy dissipation(?) - but it still looks wrong. When the cars get airborne, they flutter around.

LFS, iRacing and now AC have cars clearly moving in a very realistic fashion. They appear to have mass/inertia and to observe the laws of physics - and yes, we all know there are videos of bugs and where the maths has obviously just exploded, but we're talking of what's typical. rF2 needs to do better IMO if it's to be taken seriously. What's difficult to understand is that I think it's the best sim to drive at the moment although I haven't tried AC TP yet.