FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Hmm, I would say he has more problems than that, such as driving into people on purpose, which is shameful.

2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I disagree, there is more to steering feel than downforce, and the slower a vehicle moves, the heavier the steering would be, up to a point obviously (moving a road car steering wheel when stationery, feels very heavy, and the wheel going light at high speed on a motorway. Obviously the lightness is caused by lack of downforce but my point remains, there should be progressively more ffb, not none and then suddenly arriving when high speed occurs.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

So judging by the replies, this isn't adjustable while driving in the Formula 2 car. Will this be available in other cars later, or possible in mods? Isi staff?

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

As far as I know personally, the only cars you can adjust diff settings on are Modern F1 cars, Rally cars and some road cars like the Subaru Impreza.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You'll only ever be able to adjust things they can really adjust.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That is the answer I at least was looking for Tim, hehe, Keep it as real as possible. :)

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip me too...

:)

8. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Then there should also be a setting where ABS and anti-spin and all such "aids" is automatically enabled depending on what car is used, i mean why make it even harder than IRL!

9. osella

osella Registered

Well I'd always want to play with no aids, despite real car using them simply that I don't get used to them. You can get used to aids in a minute but going back can take a long time.

10. Christian Rosén

I prefer realism always, and i have no aids enabled in rF2, (not even auto-clutch) since i haven't a clue what technology is used IRL on the simulated car i drive for the moment, and also because there is no servers allowing it.

But I have no problem adjusting my driving-style depending on which car i'm driving. I mean its already so different to drive all the released ISI cars from the different eras and classes.

If a simulated modern race-car with all the latest technology (to help you drive as fast and safe as possible) would have ABS or traction control it seems very strange for me to not implement that into the simulation.
    Its hard enough (unrealistic) for me to not have all sensory inputs as IRL.

I'm more into hardcore=realism then hardcore=as difficult as possible (which is even more unrealistic).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  11. osella

osella Registered

I'm pretty sure all top level open wheel series ban like F2 ban all aids.
    But the GTR and Meganes, GT3 etc. may allow TC/ABS, not sure.

12. osella

osella Registered

I don't view it this way.
    If a real car uses no aids and you do, it is unrealistic.
    If a real car allows them and you don't, you just make it harder for yourself but its not unrealistic, because usually those aids could be turned off easily on the real car.

What is really wrong, is using TC on a 60s F1, but not using it on a modern gt car with tons of grip already is ok.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For me, since day one of messing around with racing sims/games I have had all assists off and that is the way I like it. Modern cars may well use them, but the rules only say that the systems are allowed, not required. I believe you can be a much better driver if you learn how to control a car without the aids.

One of the first complaints I hear from people that have always used aids is that the cars in X sim are too difficult to drive without the aids. If they would spend the time and learn to drive without them, then they would realize that the aids are merely a crutch that replaces good driving technique and a skilled driver who doesn't use aids in most situations will be faster than a person who can't control the car without aids.

Just my 2 cents here.

14. Christian Rosén

To make one thing clear, I'm generally speaking of all simulated cars, and ofcourse it's equally unrealistic to enable a "aid" which never been on the car from beginning!

I just want the car itself to have all these features built in the simulated car, and eventually being able to fiddle with them in the garage settings (those aids that are allowed to fiddle with and maybe even map buttons to the wheel), and not in a game menu for all cars.

If a real modern car uses latest technological advances and it really helps the driver going faster, and then we choose not to simulate it in a race-simulator, is more unrealistic to me.

And i seriously doubt any real race driver would disable such functionality if it helps them to be faster!? Isn't this all that racing is about?

But if those "aids" in reality makes the car slower (but safer), then its realistic to be able to turn them off, if its allowed in reality.

For me anyway its even more unrealistic to "cheat" by exploit physic glitches in the setup or cut the track or whatever is possible in a simulation but isn't in reality, but at the same time i understand why, since its a competition. I equal it to using steroids to get to the top in real life sport, you eventually get there but with a bitter taste afterwards. :D

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Think of it this way, without aids, if the driver had to learn how to drive the car properly he would be just as fast as the guys running the aids. The problem with a lot of the motorsport series out there is they want more entertainment and not better racing. To accomplish this, they introduce restrictor plates, aids to equalize the driving skills, tires designed to wear at a specific point etc etc etc.

We all know how little fun it is to run on the track alone either behind everyone else or ahead of everyone else. It is more fun to run near others so there is a fight for position, and the organizations that control motorsports know that the fans want to see this all the time. If a wreck happens during, all the better. The only reason there are systems like KERS is because the racers actually wanted to be able to pass someone and were not able to do so with the way the cars and rules were designed.

Look at NASCAR as an example. How many laps going around and around do they do and they still can't pull away from the other guys. NASCAR setup their rules, and the track owners setup the tracks to ensure this would be the case.

1 person likes this.
  16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Use whatever amount of aids you want, that is what they are there for. It's a simple premise really. :) But we're not going to code aids that don't exist for a car, such as DRS on a car which never had it.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Good post Gearjammer... :)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Glad to hear it Tim. :)

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Certainly you'll find TC in endurance. All the better for preserving the tyres for 4 or 5 stints.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Some cars have lighter and/or more numb feeling steering at low speed that weightens up and feels much better as you get up to some decent speeds, and some cars have real heavy steering at low speeds which lighten up as you get up to speed.

Then on top of that, downforce can really have an effect aswell and in some cars you can really feel the downforce acting on the steering.

Like everything in physics, its real complex, and not just black or white, or one way or the other. It matters on lots of different things, for example power/no power steering, car setup (especially caster, camber), the actual suspension layout and design philosophy itself, different types of power steering systems, etc.

Did you know that mclaren made around 5 complete redesigns of its 2005 f1 car's front suspension just for Montoyas car? Montoya was having issues all year long with front-end feel, there was nothing wrong with the speed and design of it, but the different Fr-susp layouts can massively change the "feel" you get from the car. Kimi Raikonnen wasnt having these problems.

Also, this season, kimi raikonnen was getting Renault to make entirely new power steering systems for him all during at least the first half of the season, because he was having big problems getting the feel/feedback he wanted, and just like Montoya in the case above, he wanted a much different feel than the car was giving him. Roman Groj. like Kimi in 2005, wasnt having these front-end "feel" issues that there teamates were having.

So ya, front end feel/steering feel can differ massively from car to car, setup to setup, suspension design/layout to suspension design/layout, and power steering system to power steering system (the last 2 being highlighted in montoya's 2005 and kimi's 2012 cases).

1 person likes this.