FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I noticed that the spring rates are inversed as well. + meaning softer and - meaning stiffer. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

Is it normal or realistic, that understeer inverses the pneumatic trail forces?

3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Heh. Yes I know but my question was about tires grip and forces on steering wheel. ;)

It looks like it's very easy to loose front tires grip and it is very binary behaviour.

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Ah sorry. If you're reporting the steering force issue when you're near the max steering lock I can confirm. I've the same problem.

5. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Yes it's realistic, but if the car has enough mechanical trail the forces at steering wheel won't inverse and the feeling of force drop off is less.

6. TJones

TJones Registered

About the strange force with steering at full lock. I think it depends on suspension geometry, must not be unrealistic.
    edit: a little late :)

I guess a possible reason for this heavy understeering could be, massively overheated tires in this particular situation.

7. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

but I have inverted forces at steering wheel by heavy understeering, seems, that there is no mechanical trail

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The ISI content we encrypt is usually done for a reason, no to that. But there's no harm in asking for us to encrypt your files.

9. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

Hello all!
    I think that it is a bad attitude to criticize this car without real world experience or real world data; if you don't have solid arguments to indicate what is wrong in the simulation then please don't spread such negativity, keep your opinion to your self.
    ISI says that they have worked with the engineers, they have seen telemetry and they had a real world driver validate the simulation.
    So it all comes down to trust, you don't trust ISI? Why? Do you have real world data? Do you have real world experience with this car?
    If you don't have good answers for that questions then there is no point in posting your opinion and hurting ISI's image, reputation and wasting everyones time reading endless posts without solid ground basis (from both sides, defenders and offenders of ISI).
    Thats not going to help rFactor 2 being a better simulator or inspiring the developers to produce a piece of art.
    Please be helpful and positive, be constructive, appreciate the developers and they will appreciate you.
    I am hoping with this post to change somebodys mind, to change a bit the attitude towards a more positive feel and constructivism, to improve the signal/noise ratio; this is not an specific attack on anyone, please don't look this post that way, just meditate and think about this.
    Thanks a lot for your consideration!
    ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Just out of curiosity, what steering lock r u guys using. I think with the default setup its somewhere aroud 25 which seems really fast. I would imagine such a quick steering ratio could cause understeer to b even more pronounce because its really easy to turn the wheels past the point of optimal grip. Just a thought.

11. TJones

TJones Registered

Can´t confirm, here + harder, - softer as expected.

12. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I'm not talking about inverted forces at full lock ;) but about loosing tires grip when you reach some angle. Like I mentioned above it's very binary behaviour and because of that it's hard to feel front tires grip.

Take F2 or any other car at Malaysia, after T1 and T2 you will see what I'm talking about ;-)

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

As far as I remember SL for F2 is something about 20. maybe 21. In case of this care I'm using default. But for other cars (ie Megane) I have to set aroung 17 (from 25 default)
    Edit: always lock-to-lock set to default for car

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  14. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

My point to posting is, I have personal problems with feeling this car, that's not a judgment about ISI, but I have a good anwer to this question for possible doubts :)

There is no universal realtime physics engine for a PC without invalid effective ranges :)

15. krivjur

krivjur Registered

The max lock for me is 20.7, I use 400 deg lock-to-lock range on CSW with that, slightly less on practice though. Haven't played around with it, but just enough to save some slides with my skill level. Likely faster than the real steering.

16. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

Little Bug: If you turn off the Engine or Ignition you still hear the Turbo-Whining when pushing the Gas Pedal...

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. :)

18. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

Why do you do this? ;) :)

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Well imho and as I`ve said already, the F2 suffers from very bad understeer. Obviously I`ve never driven one in real life so maybe they are under steery cars but surely they can`t be that under steery?

Oh yeh, could someone please explain what the "Hole 4" etc setting is all about in the aero setup screen?

Lost... lol :p

20. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I mentioned spring rates but I mean suspension bump and rebound settings When clicking + indeed the LSR/HSR/HSL/LSL change in the right way (+ meaning up and - meaning down) but the result is + getting softer and - getting harder. Is this meant to be like this, and can this be confirmed??

Did a short test and indeed, setting the car up with every setting + maxed, the car is soft and vice versa