FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

To be honest, I always compare with the reality of his eyes and his ears ... On any video recording I have not heard of such a whistle.
    And rattles are not at the wheel F2.
    Believe promotions, I can not.
    I enjoy many aspects of rF2, but very much dislike.

2. Nicola Trivilino

Nicola Trivilino Registered

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Is it possible to highlight changes you made here regarding the wheel?

4. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

FFB feels inverted on my Logitech MOMO. When I let go the wheel in a slow turn, the wheel turns even more out of itself, instead of returning to centre, due to lateral forces. Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: On the straights, when waving, cornering forces feel good, but when in slow turns, FFB snaps the other way round.
    I've then tested with inverted FFB (Steering effects strength="-10000.00000"). In the pits and on straights it's definitely inverted (nearly impossible to drive), but when mid-corner is suddenly feels 'normal', well more neutral anyway.
    I haven't experienced this before with rF2, although lateral forces always were quite weak, compared so suspension forces for example.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Alright go back to a technically inferior sim, get blinded by the ffb when the physics are inferior to rFactor 2

6. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Can't wait for the first laps! I will also seed. I have 1Gb upload :D

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You cant judge the sounds of being inside an open wheel race car by some onboard camera. When I watched an F1 race in real life (Canada 2005) every time they down shifted there was a huge BANG sounded like some crazy explosion like a gun shot, not a loud firecracker, but an actual freaking gun shot it was so loud I couldnt even tell if it was exhaust or mechanical, it actually sounded mechanical. It happened on every single down change just once as soon as they down shifted.

Well I never ever ever heard that sound from any onboard or external or any camera whatsoever in my entire life of watching those races on tv, you didnt even hear it faintly, it was as if it didnt exist. If someone told me those cars made that sound I wouldnt have believed them, then I saw the cars in person and heard sounds you dont hear in any camera, onboard, external, whatever.

So pretty much if you havent driven one, you honestly have no idea what it sounds like.

Oh, and I know a guy who once got a ride in a Ferrari F40, well in every video online you hear the beautiful exhaust and engine, even in onboard videos. Well he told me that when he went for the ride he heard TONS of turbo sounds from the inside, his exact words were something like "it was all turbo noise", probably exageratting a bit, especially with a Ferrari, but you get the point, completely opposite of every video, onboard included, that you see of that car.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

One point some of you seem to forget or missed is that there has been a real F2 team helping with how the car feels and drives, and I am sure sounds. If the F2 driver says it feels, looks and sounds like the real thing, I think I will believe him. Obviously most of us are probably not using the same hardware that he was able to use, so this would indicate that if you feel that this car doesn't feel real, you might need an upgrade :)

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

well, I agree, but why is it then leave the whistle on the outer chambers, at least his mute ... or turn off the sound of wind whistling ...

10. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Had my first go, a quick 30 laps at Palm Beach, and so far I'm impressed. I think it drives really well and I like the cockpit sounds very much. I agree that the FFB seems a little light compared to other rF2 cars, but then this is a different car. Also agree that the brake pedal seems to need a light touch, again can't say if that's realistic or not and maybe setup changes can help. Tbh I didn't find this very difficult to get used to anyway.

I was thinking, looking at the setup pages, particularly the wings and dampers, that real-world values seem to be used here. That's great, but it would be very nice to have the setup manual to help us! I found the manual for a Dallara F3 car a little while ago, very interesting and such info would surely be useful.

11. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

iracing doesn't prevent this from happening, as my old
    g25 sequential shifter used to double shift a lot and i
    always suffered with it.

i also tested it with a script i made myself and the
    shifter is perfect.

anyway, i found another thread for this problem and
    reported there.. thanks for your help! ;)

12. Domi

Domi Registered

Why are the physics files encrypted this time?

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Perhaps something to do with licence, tires, don't know.

There is issues with car still, but of course still WIP.

I managed to spin and stall it, when I floor accelerator I still hear turbo sound, it is very faintly audible at no throttle too, my guess is that turbo rpm is left what it had when engine stalled?

Also there is something funny about turbo sound, as I drive turbo car in real life, volume of turbo as well as frequency builds up gradually, now if you put big gear with F2 car, hold bit of brakes so that speed is constant and modulate throttle you should be able to keep turbo at certain pitch and volume, but it is too much on/off, especially when lowering throttle. Of course if F2 has VNT turbo it does have less of spool up time, but still it is gradual, it should be able to make it go smoothly silent to noisy with that test.

I don't know if F2 has VNT turbo, but if not then there would be more issues, if it has VNT then I guess other stuff can be how they are as computer can control rpm of turbo with blade angle, minimizing lag, but if not such kind of turbo, then rpm is too constant.

But of course it is F2 car, it can have some really weird things that are not related to common cars in any way, so it can be correct too as it is now, but that brake hold speed test is something that can be tested and compared to real thing to get reference.

What comes to sound levels when going at full throttle and racing rpm, I think that it can be possible, put helmet on to get proper experience of course. Everyone surely has helmet for simracing, right? :)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

F2 data isn't something which can be shared, I think. They should provide another example.

15. 88mphTim

Don't know how it works, but I do know they know about it not working sometimes.

16. 88mphTim

That's strange... Please check your graphics settings.

17. 88mphTim

At lower speed I would think there should be less resistance, as there would be less load from downforce, less resistance full stop?

18. 88mphTim

Only thing I can probably think of there is that you are either driving it like a simulation historically may have been driven, rather than a real car. Or, that the downforce of this car is generated in a way which affects your feeling of it (amusingly, that is exactly why I love it).

19. 88mphTim

Good. :)

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That sounds how I imagine aero car to be, but at full stop resistance should again be more as anyone that has driven car without power steering knows, you have to move car a bit to actually turn steering wheel without needing to do a workout.

F2 car is quite nice for open wheeler though and I like especially from idle sound, also this time startup sound seems to blend nicely to idle sound, clearly lot of effort has gone to this car.