Can't switch between video cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaypee racing, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jaypee racing

jaypee racing Registered

Hi all,

new to the forum and already a problem :(

I recently bought a new notebook in order to play rfactor 2. It is a Lenovo Y580 with switchable graphic cards, a Intel 4000 and a Nvidia GTX 660M.

Now my problem starts as soon as I enter the game. No matter if I selected the geforce card in the rf launcher, in-game the graphic card driver is switched back to the Intel, unable to select the geforce. This leads to horrible fps :(

I updated all drivers and tried various energy management settings and different monitors. Problem persists.

Anyone has a clue on how to solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

JP

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Go to nVidia Control Panel and create and profile for rF2. Make sure your NVidia card is selected for both the profile and in the rF2 config.

If I remember correctly, Nvidia notebook driver profiles have "auto select". Things like Chrome will use the Intel graphics and games are supposed to use the Nvidia card. It doesn't always work. Make sure the rF2 profile is set to your Nvidia card.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  3. jaypee racing

jaypee racing Registered

yiehay, that's it! Thanks a lot for your help! Just clicked on customized values and set rfactor to use the geforce.

Best
    JP

4. osella

osella Registered

I know the question has been answered but I thought I'd ask here anyway - anyone knows what the hell is the point in equpping notebooks with 2 graphics!? Doesn't the more powerful gpu has more or less the same consumption as integrated chip in 2D mode anyway?

Why include a useless gpu as well if the more powerful one can do everything plus has more power in 3D.

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Because of cooling. Gaming notebooks get HOT. Having the integrated graphics chip take over for things like surfing the net lets the notebook cool down in between gaming.

6. osella

osella Registered

But consumption and heat are (more or less, in this area) connected.. if the gpu eats like 3W in 2D (my guess, since my desktop 7850 only eats 5W in 2D, the 660M should be able to do just 3W), it can't produce much heat.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You would be surprised how much heat gets created even with the low end 2D chip. Desktops have a huge advantage because they have so much better air flow. Laptops however are choked for air in the first place. I know from first hand experience that the top keyboard on my laptop gets a bit warm at times just surfing the web let alone attempting to do anything that requires a bit more power. Watching a movie I don't dare touch the keyboard for too long unless I want to get burned. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the point)

8. osella

osella Registered

Well, I use a notebook as well at school and while travelling so trust me, I know how hot they get :rolleyes: .
    The cpu (slow amd dualcore at 2000mhz) in my ntb never gets below ~48C in idle, whereas the hungry quadcore in desktop is totally cool.

Just wondering how much actual difference in heat it can make, since modern gpus tend to be really underclocked and hence cool when in 2D.

It was very different just few years ago, when the difference between idle/load was not that big, because even watching a movie or drawing windows required higher gpu load.

Hmm but it's not like they do anything horrible whatever the difference is, because that integrated chip costs nothing anyway so why not lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  9. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Pretty sure the Intel 4000 is integrated into the CPU?? much like the AMD A series. (I don't know much about Intel so correct me if I'm wrong).

10. canastos

canastos Registered

Yes, the Intel 4000 is integrated into the CPU (mobile 3rd generation I3, I5 or I7); it must be more efficient to give power and keep cool one single device rather than two ;-)

byyyyyyyyyyye

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This. :)

For non-gaming, those types of chips really are superb. Only real issue is that you'll probably have to replace the entire mobo if you have issues, rather than just a gfx card.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Ah, the joys of laptops and proprietary hardware :)

13. Springer

Springer Registered

Switching graphic cards

I have the same problem with my Lenovo y580, I have been into the nvidia control panel and added the RF2 launcher.exe and the config.exe to the 3d and global profiles is ther anywhere else it has to be added as mine still does not work, the user data file in my documents are showing a max setting of 800x 600 which gives very poor performance.Any help would be gratefully received
    Mark