[WIP] Monterey Laguna LIDAR

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mario Morais, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I would buy it

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I know there are split views on the topic but I've long said that with the amount of work needed for today's detailed content, payware is a valid option... would be a shame to not see this track realized as the road itself is already quite impressive.

3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The video was a test.

I redo all road with my tool "splineTrackMaker"

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

go for it Mario,

personally I don't mind giving couple of bucks every now and then to get ISI quality tracks from modders (ISI quality but more fun tracks, my favourite layouts are other than ISI tracks)

But I would pay only for quality scratch made work.

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Yep, I'd pay for this.

6. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I'd pay some bucks for a nice track like this, for sure!

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, I'd pay for the quality I see Mario producing.

However, to get the track to the most players, I'd like to see a donation system in place (1000 people donating $5 goes a long ways) or a hybrid purchase, where paying customers get it now and then it becomes freely available after a year? Or how about a donation system where Mario continues showing us the previews and it gets released when there are an adequate number of donators (200 or 500 or 1000 or whatever makes sense)?

8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I've got my money ready.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

But if not all content is created by you, or "licensed" to you, how can you charge for it? I understand wanting to make more money out of this but the primary factor for modding comes from making something you really want exist. If you don't have the joy in seeing that, even if it's just for yourself as a personal project, then no money in the world can bring joy into trying to replicate something as accurately as you can to meet your standards.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

11. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

TOTALLY AGREE

I have no problem making donations specially to someone who is creating tools to make a very difficult program somewhat easier

but on a track even if completely created with no licensing ..thats a shady area .... buuuuuuuuuuut thats me ;0

12. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

You know why pCARS have different tracks names ? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  13. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I think pcars only hides the names until the track is 100% finished

At least that's what I heard, anyway

14. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Not true actually ;) Same goes for there cars but you know that ISI has this kinda tracks to right? Just saying. But im not sure why this is beeing discussed again. We went trough that for many times allready.
    Give Mario a chance, i know that some do donate but that doesnt come up as it could.
    After all, in this way you will atleast have a chance to get the track in quality. Not saying this becase im doing this way allready but i do rather have an option to buy it atleast than not having option of none.

And guys, do you rather lose good track modelers to another game dev to than going this way? We lost feels3 allready, are you aware of that?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  15. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Real ? Sweden ?

16. hoover

hoover Registered

I'd also be willing to toss in a couple of bucks to support Mario and his excellent work.

Uwe

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

They have the assets in place with fake names as they try to obtain the licenses.

18. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Ah I knew it was something along those lines.

Not used it for probably 6/8 months, seems to require deep blue to even get it going at 20fps...

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It seems to me that there is a difference between "Sell" and "Donate". In order to sell, one must have ownership, donate is a desire to support another's efforts to provide.
    Yet the permission question is still applicable.

(sounds like and intelligent argument). Anyway, I do find occasions to support a modder's efforts.

20. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Yep completely agree, hence why I cannot support payware mods... They do not have intellectual ownership plain and simple and have no right to charge for someone elses intellectual property...

The risk to the community on a whole is too large just to support someone to do their hobby in such a way... Which is all it is, if you were getting paid for it as a job you'd be working in a studio or starting your own studio... If you feel like you should get paid to do your hobby you're doing the wrong hobby...

In saying that I'm not against donations, I've made a few here and there in the past myself...

But to actually sell something you have no ownership over, no matter how many hours you've put away on the project, is harmful to the community as a whole... As it splits it up between the haves and the have nots...

Then there's the legality... In which through my knowledge of copyright is far more illegal to sell an unlicensed game than it is to mod tracks and cars from other games into rF2... For ISI it's a different matter, they can't be seen to support rips, but for the third party modder and the community it's a different story and is far more dangerous as a result... As the big car companies and game developers won't want to lose out on any revenue, and a ripped mod that isn't payware doesn't come with a price tag so can't make any revenue...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013