Ideal Multiview Screen Setup Theory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blakboks, Sep 1, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, maybe it isn't multiview, but I'm still not convinced there's a difference--or if there is, I'd like to get to the bottom of it. If you or anyone else anyone wouldn't mind take 2 screen-shots (I believe F12 by default--which should put them into rFactor2(data)\UserData\ScreenShots), one with multiview, one without (but filling all three screens), I would be very grateful. To do this, just take the screen-shot while sitting in the pits in an OW car (i.e. FR3.5) at Portugal--that way they're both taken from the same exact spot and we can overlay the images in Photoshop to see the differences (if we need to).

I also took a frame from your video, and overlaid some lines to show how the line on the road 'should' look to the driver (blue lines) and how it actually appears (red line).
    View attachment 3858
    So, it still is not matched up 100% correctly with that setup. The only way I've found, from checking out my own little 'virtual' multiview setups in the 3D application, to get that sort of distortion (horizontal lines angling inward, toward the viewer) is from using a setup where the outer screens are angled too far inwards.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. That will have to be a project for either later this week or over the weekend, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  2. coops

coops Banned

hi gearjammer is that using multiview? i have 3 screens just trying to get my fov to be as gd as poss.
    3x23 inch screens
    height:11.5 inches top to bottom 23 to top / 24 to bottom to the screen
    distance from center of eyes to center screen:22 inches..... .5 inch shorter to side screens
    my fov using the calculator is 28
    fov with or without multiview ? any1

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yup, that sounds about right. 28~29--close enough. When you set FOV in game, it sets your vertical FOV, then it automatically calculates the horizontal FOV according to your screen resolution--it should do this regardless of whether you're using multiview or not.

4. coops

coops Banned

tyvm

5. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Now for the multiview question it only depend hows your screens are oriented.

6. coops

coops Banned

45% angle

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

That seems weird since you seem to be using 3 monitors. Not sure how it could be that you can’t see your mirrors

Will do after work this p.m.

The apparent mismatch could be due to the camera height. With tilted monitors that is critical. If you move your head up or down all the lines begin to show an angle. There is only one sweet spot. That, and my monitors aren’t at exactly 45 deg. But it is all close enough that the small errors are never noticed when racing. Actually I add another error (not in the vid I posted) by overlapping my monitors to reduce the bezel width. (like Gearjammer)

Please do!!

8. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

How are you achieving that? What are your settings? I cannot get side monitors to not show world at a different angle than the center monitor does - which at best makes me crash because my steering angle input is all wrong and at worst makes me want to vomit :)

It should be noted that in iRacing, although not dead-bang perfect ( my outside monitors are slightly different than center monitor) it is good enough to drive and not vomit. I can see people beside me (which is my goal). in rFactor2 I am not able to set much of anything in order as can be set in iRacing. I have tried with/without multi-view I have tried a large amount of FOV settings. It doesn't matter what is done.

It should be noted that my outside monitors are at (or very close to - i need to buy a protractor!) 45 degrees in relation to center monitor.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You have to set 'multiview' in gfx config, then setup angle between monitors to match correct view (probably 45*)

10. BlaringFiddle5

You mean in nVidia control panel or something? In rFactor2, you can check Multiview, but there exist no angle setting or anything as is present in iRacing...

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here you go. I used Mid Ohio again because the chain link fence on the right is makes it wasy to see changes in perspective. FYI the break point between the center monitor and the outer monitor for both shots is identical. In other words the picture in the center monitor is identical with or without multiview. I marked the edge with a yellow line.

I wish I knew how to get a picture or vid to show up full size in my posts. Mine always show as thumbnails.

got it! :) thanks blakboks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Awesome! Thanks very much for sharing! That finally proves it, doesn't it? It's clear from just flipping back and forth between the two images that there's definitely something different about them. Multiview is definitely appears to be using 3 cameras!

Now the question is--at what angle are they set at? I'm thinking that the angle the cameras are at (and therefore the angle the side monitors should be at) is dependent on your FOV--rather than a static 45°. To do that we'll need to know your settings--what do you have your vFOV set at? Are all three screens the same resolution and aspect ratio (16:9)? The vFOV that would require the side screens to be at 45° is about 26°. A narrower vFOV (or squarer aspect ratio--i.e. 16:10 or 4:3) would require them to be angled less, and vice-versa. So, yes I would imagine that if you have your vFOV set to around 25° with multiview enabled, then an angle of 45° (the acute angle measured from the center monitor) for the outside monitors would appear almost perfect.

Cool.

13. blakboks

blakboks Registered

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Jesus... Do you ask for the same in various threads or have I dejavu?
    Multiview option is available in game gfx config. Did you never ever seen this config?

Hmm. Interesting theory. But after a few moments of thinking it might make sense. Have to check if changing vFOV affects how lines drawn on neighbour monitors match with each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  15. Armando

Armando Registered

He is asking about angle setting, not Multiview.

@BlaringFiddle5: There is no angle setting in the game or the drivers. The angle you have to set correctly is the physical one of the side monitors. What we don't know exactly is which angle is that...

16. BlaringFiddle5

I think 45 degrees is not it ... I tried 45 degrees with 25 degree vFOV and it was way distorted on the sides (at least on mine). It probably depends somewhat on where your head is in relation to monitors as well - mine is about 24 inches from center monitor. Even iRacing, with its advanced settings, isn't perfect (but is MUCH better) on mine - i chalk this up to different brand monitors on the sides than in the center on my setup...

Perhaps at some point, some ISI personnel will respond in here to tell us what we need to know as in single camera? three camera? what angle of side monitors should be if it is indeed 3 camera? Surely someone there knows...

17. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Could it be that the multiview apply some sort of image warp instead of two new cameras? So render flat and then apply a transform to 'sorta' make it look decent on side screens? That would probably be a cheaper method than rendering three separate viewports, but incorrect, of course.

Edit: I LOVE this discussion! This is important stuff that the discerning user will want to know. This isn't a matter of making it look 'good' it's a matter of making it look RIGHT!

18. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I already post this, but here we go again ;)

All screen must face perfeclty the driver to have a good 3D projection. Also, Drivers eye should point center of screen, so be carrefull on what height you setup your screens.

1) Download Math Java applet at http://www.geogebra.org/cms/
    2) Download attachement View attachment 3894
    3) Sit on your cockpit measure distance to center screen, measure screen size
    4) Setup the configurator in geogebra
    View attachment 3895
    5) Setup the game with the computed fov AND angle between screen ( ERR you can't in rFactor2 :( :( )
    6) Enjoy

19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I've wondered myself if that kind of soultion is possible. I'm of the notion that if it can be done then someone has already done it and it won't need to be invented. Didn't someone post here that iRacing has the same effect of ISI's multiview but with much less FPS loss?

20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

25deg FOV, 5040x1050, 16:10 x 3, 22" monitors