rFactor2 Test Build 107 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 30, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

hahaha love the Python! :D

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Actually, I'm with Maxym on this one (generally speaking, not necessarily every sentiment). I don't see the need to abstract things behind config files (which doesn't always explain what each value is sufficiently) or even worse, on a forum that isn't directly linked in the app. Right now, that we're in beta, this is somewhat acceptable, seeing as getting the beta requires coming through these forums. However, new users (once it goes Gold) may not ever step a foot in here, or even be aware of its existence.

IMO, there's no reason some fairly basic, commonly touched things shouldn't be exposed in the UI. I've never had to go into a config file for LFS or iRacing--or any other piece of software, come to think of it! It's cheap/lazy software design.

While I, personally, understand that there may be budget restrictions that would make taking the time to do such a thing (how long would it actually take, anyway?) unfeasible--ultimately, the budget doesn't matter to the average user. For example, what difference does it make how much value HRT gets out of its money if they're still coming in at the back every single race?

IMO, the only time a user should HAVE to go into a config file is if there's a definite reason that 99.9% of the users (that's one in every thousand) absolutely should not be touching that value.

I'm baffled whenever someone suggests something that would make the software better for every single person across the board and is met with resistance by both the community and even a member of the developer's studio. I think this is a case where Maxym has a certain reputation preceding this discussion, and instead of people honestly listening to his words, they just argue against him. Is this something that should be changed in the next build? Doesn't have to be...but it is something that ISI should definitely consider going forwards. Making something accessible to a wider audience doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Everybody accepted that things which the vast majority of users should not be in INI files, and that is why they won't be. The argument had no basis from the first time that was stated, and the choice to manipulate answers to continue arguing adjusted points of the same type, already answered, is just not right and pointlessly argumentative. Your reply actually agrees with both sides, states both sides points, and backs up the fact that the issue, won't be an issue, showing how absolutely pointless this is.

Options which large numbers require, will be in the UI. There are options which don't even exist yet, that aren't in the UI either. That's because we are still developing the software, adding options, editing the UI, etc. It'll be done when it's done, and will cater to the cast majority. The minority, the MINORITY, may want further options, and those will be done by editing INI files, like every other software, ever.

5. Favio

Favio Registered

Tim even for me that I understand %50 of the video, my god...that was a big LOL :D

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

ok, I also didn't see this post from you before I posted mine. My apologies.

7. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

LOL way to go for the most wildly inaccurate statement ever...Glad to hear more stuff will make it to the UI this time around, I want to race not get a degree in INI editing...

1 person likes this.
  8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

ROFL awesome.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Dude your name is great. Blackbox. No wonder you don't like config files. LOL.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It seems that 107 build has some changes in tire tool, instead of ON/OFF lables, there are checkmarks, also tire tool seems to use my two cores instead of just one.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Man, I'm in simracing for about 14 years, co-founder of simracing.pl, biggest simracing portal in Poland, leagues administrator for 8 years and after that quite experienced programmer and project manager, working on big projects for big companies (ie pharmacy) as well as for end users. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Believe me, sometimes you don't.

I'm not saying this case in particular, but often enough.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

if not in this particular case then what is your comment good for?

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's a constructive criticism.
    It can be good or pointless, depending on a person receiving it and a manner in which it was offered.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Really?

Then how would you like ISI to come to your work place and tell you how to do your job? How would you like it if they were constantly complaining and nit picking every little thing? how would you like it if no answer you gave was ever good enough? How would you like them to harass you day after day after day?

Reading your posts, I highly doubt you would be as patient as Tim has been.

And btw, nobody here believes for one second you are doing this for "the customers" as you claim. Nobody believes you are concerned with sales of rF2 or how well "new" customers can play the game "out of the box".

Nothing about you is altruistic.

You just like to pick at small little things and tell ISI what bad, horrible job they are doing.... over and over and over again. That's what you are about and that's your only concern.

1 person likes this.
  16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Yet you seem to have a considerable about of time to argue with a company you have no investment in other than buying one of their products.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

my customers comes and complains. its he same as I come here and complain - I have right to do that.
    Difference is that I try to minimize probability a customer start to complain (even in beta stage) while here I may get an answer: go away to learn how to edit config files.

but finally I'm not complainin to ISI. once I clearly said that wil not report any issues anymore.
    I'm reacting to some posters who think that it is correct way.

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

LOL dude!!!! You constantly do that: you lie. :D <-rofl face

You over exaggerate and twist things... which is the same as lying.

Do you even believe your own lies? You do realize we've all been here since the beginning right? We can read.

LOL that's not what happened and you know it.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

exaggerate is not a lie. it is method of expression. yes, I do that to better express differences between two ways we are talking about.
    I'm sorry if you understood it as a lie.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hey, a confession :D