lack of mods? caused by packaging system? Does rf2 not have enough content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PorscheMR6, Aug 27, 2012.

1. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Mods are not overnight things, some mods have taken many months or years to get to a level that a team or single person will be happy to release to the public. A modders beta means modders get an early look at the game to give them a head start and an idea of what will be needed. Its not intended to have mods actually released thats not the intention to beta test mods, some people may release some early versions but I dont expect many will.

If this beta wasn't released then the modders would have no idea what to expect, as many knew RF2 was on its way they moved away from RF1 and started thinking of RF2. Modders make mods in their spare time because they like doing it and they also want others to enjoy it once done, so many will have stopped RF1 modding because once RF2 goes gold most of the users will move away from RF1. If the beta wasnt released then all modders would just create some 3D models and then sit and wait for release, this would delay many mods to 6 months or more after release. With the beta we should get a few more within the first few months of release.

Not many make public mods that most people arent going to use, and then if they release for RF1 something now the majority of sorry to say ungrateful users will be demanding them to make it for RF2.

This will double the workload and not many have that much time, this is the same with the beta. Even if a mod was to be close to release many will choose to wait til gold as any future update could break things and then all the comments such as "your crappy mod doesn't work with beta 104, fix it!" These mods may need updates with each new build and this is just taking away time these talented people could be adding to their work or starting on the next project. Once RF2 goes gold they will know what is needed from the game and can finalize the mod and release once ready.

We are just lucky that many of these awesome guys and possible even the odd girls, are sacrificing their time to bring us some great mods. The ones still here have very tough skins as there is not much worse then spending lots of your spare time doing something only to have it bashed by the ungrateful. I will give most mods a try and may give constructive criticism or bug reports, beyond that I will just wait patiently and see what great stuff both ISI and the modders will bring along for us.

If someone is demanding more mods then the only way you can actually help out is get into it yourself and release your own. Other then that just sit back watch the forums and enjoy this game or any other you like more until RF2 goes gold. Many modders wont even post WIP info because all that does is the ungrateful start demanding release dates, mods will be released when done as will RF2.

There are many titles coming too, AC has said they will be open to modding. Thats not much to go by for a modder is it, they could really do with a beta to give them a head start dont you think lol. Could that possibly be what this was released for?

My final point to all the ungrateful and that includes the one I have quoted, you arent paying modders for anything. They owe you nothing and do this because they enjoy it. If more and more ungrateful start voicing this sort of rubbish, disrespect peoples work and make any demand or hound about release dates. All this will ever achieve is make some people lose the enjoyment of modding and do it just for themselves or quit altogether giving you even less mods.

2. LowRider

LowRider Registered

Today install a mod with mayby 10 Tracks just to use only one of them. Tomorrow delete this needles vmod, one day later install another vmod with also many content i dont want, just to play with a car on a track i like. Sorry , but this is just stupid. I have much more trouble with this needless vmod thing in this short time, than i ever had with missmatches since 2005. Everytime you want a onlinb race, you're forced to install additional tracks, no matter if you will ever use them. And i am not the only one, i know many rf2 customers that stopped online races just for this vmod gadget...

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I've never played online, but if I ever do, this does not sound encouraging at all. We have only few mods right now, but later we will have hundreds...

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If I have not mistaken, then it currently is so that to be able to join server that is running 9 tracks you have but 3 tracks you don't have, you have to download those 3 tracks, which can be easily 600MB or more.

Most pay their machines by their own work and most do other things with their machines, I would not like to download gigabytes of stuff I don't intend to use, but that is only way to join to server currently.

How about those with bandwidth limits in their internet connections?

How about those that have not 100MB connections?

Have those considered and have those classified as non important?

Those are problems that I see causing major issues in future, just how many will move to something else when to join to server you have car and track, you need to download hours new tracks and maybe cars which one does not want to drive.

It really does not touch me as with my 0.5MB mobile connection I don't have possibility to race online anyway, but even I can see how this will cause lack of racers as pickup racing happens more than league racing, it is pickup racing where people move to league racing, not other way around.

I really wanted to give new system chance, I did look it with open mind, but there are some show stopper level problems in a long run if current system and ideology behind system is final.

However I think that they must understand this at ISI and they probably have more planned on that, but it is just not made public yet. I really doubt that they would be happy with current system and not seeing potential danger that these issues can lead to.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Gjon has talked about the vmod area in the modding forum somewhere, hinting that it may change but that was a while ago. Having to find random staff posts hidden in threads is no fun at all!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ISIs choice to be silent about the beta progression and especially the modding aspect (as to its future) is irritating to me and I just don't understand why they can't share their thoughts...especially as this is supposedly a modders beta that we can help with!

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

"Modders beta" means modders can learn the process of creating mods, familiarize themselves with new tools and technologies, provide feedback...
    Doesn't necessarily mean they have to release anything :)

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ok, got it. modders too lazy to learn something new, Isi doing a great job in this field. No reason to complain.
    Hope they release another update soon so this thread could sink fast.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That could be one angle to it, maybe more true with some and less true with some, but there are more to it and probably not very easy to put it into simple sentence.

All I know is that current system creates danger of less new modders. Reason for lot of mods in rF1 was that it was so easy to get lured into modding as has been pointed out.

9. GUBBA

GUBBA Registered

Build 118 and no new content, i am gutted, and very surprised

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Content is not released with builds. Tracks and cars are released when they are ready, not when build is ready.

11. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

i'm more than happy to learn NEW tools and Technologies, trouble is i cant find the tools or the tutes for RF2, what are the new contruction requirements for the RF2 wheels, where do i find the info. if modders had better access to this info you may very well have more mods and tracks.

ive found all the pdf files and all the other stuff that goes with it.

just my 14 yens worth

12. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

you should be able to get a car in game with the pdf files supplied by ISI...if not the search function at this forum works well

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry converting ugly "junk" over to rF2. I've already seen a few.
    I want to see either good content upgraded to take advantage of it's new features or totally new content with those features implemented.
    I'll wait how ever long that takes.

14. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

To this OP and Tuttle, I have stopped modding F1 cars that we use specifically for our league because all this. The Packaging system put a bad taste in my mouth. However, I'm not completely turned off because I want to see what the final release looks like. With the many stock mods that ISI will release, I don't see a need to mod anything right now anyways, especially since we don't know what the final will look like or how well/bad rF2 excepts new mods or updates to mods. I personally do not like the packaging system. I mean, I take a mod and make is league spec, which will not work on a public server...so with this packaging system I now have to 2 of the same mods that only have minor physics changes...WTH, I don't have a ton of space on my HD for this.