Curved screens DIY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1959nikos, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It seems a lot of people wont change their triple screens, why should they, easy to fit, perfect resolution too, no luminocity problems.

Though this thread badly misses input from continously curved screen actual users!

Arent any out there?

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Even dome users would do nicely.

I was in a thread recently, where a guy made his half dome by cutting an actual acrylic dome by half and painted it with White Goo Paint (???). Anybody knows what paint this is?
    He bought the dome from a company that manufactures acrylics and he said that the cost was something like $250 while Frex charges $1500?
    Now he has the other half to spare lol. Ill try to find the link.

I did a little search for domes like that, I cannot find a local company yet, just special order imports from abroad :(

It does have to be local, wherever anyone lives, as transport costs will be impossibly high for such a bulky item.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Just had an estimate for an 1.60m diameter, 0.8m high dome, import from Nederland to Greece at 500 euros.
    So, Dutch people you have no excuse for not trying, as cost there will probably be half than this and you can sell the other half of dome to a local simmer :)
    Prety same applies to all central Europe.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Lol, breaking news.
    Local made, transparent or semi-transparent, 3mm plexiglass, dome of 1.35m diameter, 100 euros without cutting costs but can go and take it myself, no transport costs!

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well...seems screen search just ended for me :)

With simplest way too. As Im simming on a table, all I have to do, is just place the semi-dome on it, perhaps on some small clamps screwed on table to secure its position, not much to warry about.

1.30m diameter seems to be quite adequate, looks like much bigger than Frex, any suggestions about optimum diameter cause I can order whatever I choose, but maximum is 1.35m.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

After seeing this

just realised I could have 360deg vision if I dont cut the semi-dome, for FSX. Needs second Projector though, but resolution is really good imho!

7. modmate

modmate Registered

All very interesting but seriously 6 posts in a row? There is a edit button right?

8. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

hmm...i think nikos is very serious about this project, and of course very excited, who wouldn't be :)
    I wished i had the means and know how on how to do this sort of thing, but all i can do is wish nikos
    luck with this very interesting project and hope he pulls it off, i'm sure he will.

p.s plus there will be alot of usefull information here for anybody else that wants to take on this sort
    of project

oh...and keep up the good work nikos, amazing stuff mate.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Seriously what is your problem with this?
    Please explain, I dont understand why this could be a problem to anyone.

As I understand, if you edit a post, somebody who has read the post has many chances to miss the edit as it happened to me a lot.
    Also, if you dont post a new post and just edit, people who follow thread dont get modified that there are news.
    Isnt it so?

On the other hand, Im not at all familiar with forums ethics and maybe Im doing something completely wrong that offends somebody.
    In this case please let me know.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

As I know you have the know how, lots of it. This project turned out to be ridiculously straight forward.

The means estimate is appr. 800 euros for projector, not more than 200 euros for dome and 250 euros for software (I suspect there is freeware somewhere, but havent located yet).

Luigi looks super Brian :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Oh and afaik, editing means correcting something, making it better, not adding info and changing subject.

12. modmate

modmate Registered

Hoooly....

Calm done guys, i was serious while i say "all very interesting" and just ask if it wouldnt be better to edit one post instead of post 6 times in a row. No offense here from my side so what the heck are you acting like im a complete morron here??

Anyway, every forum i know dont like doublepostings in threads and got rules for it. After i see that:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1233-The-simplest-forum-policies-ever

I have to make an excuse for ISI cause we dont have any rules in here at all...;)

Just try this in iracing or pcars forum, anywhere you like its a dislike cause its nonsense to make one single post for nearly every sentence you write down. And NO edit is not just for corrections.

13. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

LOL

no probs here modmate :), i was just pointing out that nikos is very serious about his project i didn't
    mean to sound offensive, i'm sorry if i did :).

nikos, thankyou for your compliment :).

14. modmate

modmate Registered

I am NOWHERE less serious then him, trust me. You see my postings in this thread here?
    I received my Acer HD6500 yesterday, everything else is already here also. Just fiddle with the best solution for the screen to cover, dunno if i paint or use some else.

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Which screen modmate? Maybe I can help.

16. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Yep like i said, Sorry, i'm outta here.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

For small edits, that's right, but sometimes it is easy to miss those edits. In any case, nobody is being charged by the post here...

If it crosses a line to spam, where nonsensical information was being posted in multiple threads, or multiple posts of one word (as has happened), then I do have issue with that, but surely this is OK, it's just a bit of extra scrolling... Not the end of the world. :)

Again another argument over... IMHO... Nothing.

18. modmate

modmate Registered

Dont remember?
    View attachment 3770
    Pages 3-5?
    Just the "paintjob" needs to be done.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Oh yes, I thought you changed yor mind and went for a plexiglass screen.

For a wood screen you have two choices imho.
    Either you use a white cloth (I dont think anything special is needed) and staple it from the back, or,
    you just paint it matt white with a spray can, in which case you will have to do some sanding if wood is rough and then some plastering so surface is smooth. Usually wooden boards are absorbing, thats why you need plastering.

There are smooth wooden boards available though, even painted white.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Something puzzles me about h6500 though.
    Did you try the calculator?
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
    For such a small screen you have there, it seems screen gets a lot of light (and h6500 is very strong on light as I red in the tests) and perhaps you should check if gray is a better colour for your screen (depends on your ambient lighting too).