Production car stuff

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by God Of Gaming, Aug 12, 2012.

1. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

I don't know if one of these wasn't implemented already since I haven't got rFactor 2 yet (I'm waiting for the final version) but I think most of them haven't been added since they aren't in rF1. Basically stuff I'd like to have for when I start making a mod with lots of production cars.

*laggy turbo and blow-off valve
    *active torque-split AWD system, like ATTESA-ETS
    *4-wheel steering, like HICAS
    *active suspension, as seen in some supercars
    *active pop-up rear wing, as seen in lots of supercars
    *active pop-up air vents, as seen in some Lamborghinis
    *3-stage headlights - off / low beam / high beam
    *maybe turn signals and hazard lights could be nice to have
    *windscreen wipers if there aren't already, if we're gonna have rainy weather finally
    *talking of weather, snowfall weather might be nice to have for snowy rally tracks, though the only effect would be to obstruct vision, also lightning storms, even fireworks in the sky as a ''weather'' type for pure eye candy
    *anything else I haven't thought of which could be relevant for road-going production car street racing simulation

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  2. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

I will throw out one more ... real world automatic transmissions... if you have a car with an automatic transmission a real production car will try to shift to high gear when your off throttle (or light on it) to save fuel .... or can this be done now ?

I know not the best for racing but it gives you the downshift delay that you see in the real world.

3. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

I heard there's gonna be active aero in rF2, is that true? Great news if so.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Well, real automatic boxes are quite essential for drag racing, there are many classes where they use those, as it has been suggested before, it would be good.

One can make low and high beam, but then lights will never be off.

Wipers are there already and turn signals would be useful for racing too, when lapping etc.

5. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

As you said drag racing, I've just got another idea - nitrous oxide? But not arcadey like in NFS, it would have no regeneration and it will add a lot of weight to the car and strain to the engine, so only really useful for drag and very short races. It can be available as an upgrade.

6. osella

osella Registered

*laggy turbo and blow-off valve - the turbo code is already there, its just modern F2 have almost zero lag so its not noticeable, but the code should be able to simulate old turbo with huge laghs already
    *active torque-split AWD system, like ATTESA-ETS - thats definitely not there yet, but would be cool to have
    *4-wheel steering, like HICAS - unlikely imo
    *active suspension, as seen in some supercars - unlikely imo
    *active pop-up rear wing, as seen in lots of supercars - not sure but think its already possible since I saw some rf1 mod with veyron having this
    *active pop-up air vents, as seen in some Lamborghinis - unlikely imo
    *3-stage headlights - off / low beam / high beam - should be easy to do
    *maybe turn signals and hazard lights could be nice to have - unlikely imo
    *windscreen wipers if there aren't already, if we're gonna have rainy weather finally - 100% will be
    *talking of weather, snowfall weather might be nice to have for snowy rally tracks, though the only effect would be to obstruct vision, also lightning storms, even fireworks in the sky as a ''weather'' type for pure eye candy - will be possible for sure, not so sure about actual snow surface physics though

Generally dont have many hopes on production cars-only feats, sims like this are focused purely on racing cars..

7. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

^Which is too bad, other than NFS Porsche Unleashed there are no other street racing simulators, and even that is not exactly a simulator. Forza Horizon kind of looks like one, but I don't want to buy a console just because of 1 game. I'm not really interested in pro racing, but I'm not interested in arcade street racing games either...

Maybe then release a small portion of the source code as sort of a SDK to allow us to make gameplay mods like old-school first person shooters did? Then I'd try to implement these by myself...

I'm making this mod anyways, I'd just love it more if I could have these features so that it could be as realistic as possible.

The closest I've seen in rF1 was the High Voltage mod that adds DRS for F1, but it does it with external application...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Nitrous is already there, well if you make it. There is that boost button feature, so that you hit button and engine gets boost, you can adjust how much more wear and how much more power it gives to you.

We are going to include such in our Chase USA mod that is about 70's USA street machines and car culture + chase movies of that era.

First Nitrous kits were introduced around 60's and used of course at drag racing, age old tech, but kids found it only after certain not so good movie...

Our need for automatic gearbox is of course quite obvious too, some of our cars never had manual box in first place.
    Also for drag racing, they still use those 60's boxes like powerglide (2 speed only!) as they are so good, can take a lot of punishment.

9. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

^That's not exactly the same IMO, I think that just increases the pressure of the turbo. A real nitrous oxide system should add a bar on the HUD... ok, the bar is not exactly necessary, but what I mean is it should be able to be depleted and then you can't use it till the end of the race, but the bottle is still in the car and adds weight. That boost setting can be used indefinitely as long as you don't get a mechanical failure from overloading the engine for too long.

10. osella

osella Registered

What about using DRS/KERS then, those are purely time limited.

Nice you mention jtbo that the whole nitrous is actually very old tech, it's funny how until it appeared in rubbish kid movie, nobody knew about it

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, it would need limited supply, but I think that is coming when push to pass system is published.

Boost works just fine without turbo, it did work even in rF1 too. One can of course set it so that engine wears out if used excessively.

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

At 80's car magazine here put nitrous kit to Volvo 240, of course they did that at winter and it was completely stock otherwise, naturally aspirated. Not quite what one would except either.

Return to Macon County movie from 70's had Chevy with nos system, imo. So it has been brought up by hollywood before too, of course it was very minor part of that movie.

But somehow it took that one movie to make it known by every boy racer :)

13. osella

osella Registered

But that's not the same, God of Gaming is right, what should happen that after depleting of the nitrous you can no longer use the nitrous BUT the engine itself should work just fine, in rf you can either have everything working or nothing working, once the engine gets destroted because of the nitrous you have no power anymore.

Only the push to pass system would work that way..

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Of course it is not the same, point was more about that turbo is not needed to have nitrous, two have nothing to do with each other. actually.

15. osella

osella Registered

Ah yes ok

16. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

I can live without the nitrous, the mod that I want to make is in the spirit of the first NFS games (1994-2000) and the first Test Drive games (1987-1999), meaning concentrating (mostly) on rare supercars and prototype/concept cars, and arcade-like street courses. So what I need the most (which is not there in rF1) is laggy turbo, active aero and active AWD systems, the other stuff is just for improving realism and accuracy and driving experience.

17. God Of Gaming

God Of Gaming Registered

How about brake steering? Automatically activating the brakes on the inner side of the corner to make the car turn faster? McLaren MP4-12C and Audi RS5 Quattro for example have this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That would fit well for realistic stability control, abs and traction control, which also would be needed. Current ones are just helpers that don't actually do same things like their real world counterparts.

Stability control should brake individual wheel which those cars you mentioned uses to go faster, bit of same, but extended I guess.

There are traction controls that use brakes, some use only throttle control, some use brakes and throttle control, at some point ignition cut was used, but I think that was very short time and rare cases, but I have had such, shot nice flames at times...

Yeah of course injection cut can be used too, but I think most use electric throttle butterfly control and brakes.

Those should be possible to make similar to what car has instead of how it is currently set, imo.

19. modmate

modmate Registered

While Forza Horizon has NOTHING todo with a SIM , its a pure arcade game with all stuff NFS series got also, like over the top Nitro, baaaad physics and more.

20. LowRider

LowRider Registered

Modern automatic transmission works mostly different. They learn from your driving style. If you're driving tend to economical you're right. But if you're driving tend more to sport the automatic transmission shift later to higher gears and earlier to lower gears. Some automatic transmissions have preferences for (example) eco, normal, sport, etc. There are also systems that detect if the car is driving through a corner etc. and act accordingly.

1 person likes this.