WIP - F2 skinpack

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Ryno917, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

WIP - Historic F2 skinpack

I've been spending some of my spare time over the past few weeks working on a new F2 skinpack. I typically race offline with a full field, and I wanted a little variety in my opponents. I also was not satisfied with just leaving alone the standard textures, so a LOT of the time I've spent so far has been on figuring out exactly which files I need to keep in order to get a car working, and what I need to hex-edit to replace textures. So far everything I've worked on has been for the Eve F2 chassis, but I will do some Spark F2s as well to keep some variety in the chassis (I haven't touched that car, yet, though).

So far, all I really have to show is a couple screenshots of my personal skin. I've done some rebranding of the chassis to make it an RWD Motors F2 car, instead of an Eve, and done some work getting a custom driver in there, too. (That was a challenge since it looks like the game uses absolutely none of the driver files in the main Eve MAS files, only the ones from the cmaps.mas file which took me a few tries to figure out!)

When all is said and done, I want this pack to increase the F2 field from the stock 6 cars all the way up to 30, spread between the two different chassis models (though some will be branded RWD instead of Eve). I will try to keep all skins looking like they are from the era, but none will be a 1:1 replica of any real cars (though I have a couple that are heavily influenced by a couple 60s formula cars). None of the original files will be overwritten, so everything should play nicely online. Any modifications to non-paintscheme textures will be done on duplicate textures (like the driver's goggles you see below).

In any case, enough yabbering, here's a couple teasers. :)

View attachment 3567
    View attachment 3568

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Lookin' good!

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Thanks, guys :)

Here's another little teaser. Brownie points to whoever can identify which car I aped this design from :D

View attachment 3570

Disregard the logos; those will be changed to rF logos once I can get my hands on them (Please, Tim? :) ). These placeholders are fictional vintage logos from pCARS (I don't want to release their work in an addon for another sim).

Right now, I have four cars standalone in rF2, but two team cars need some quick reworking to reduce the total number of files (a lot of redundancies in the GMTs to snuff out) for smaller download size and better performance on the computer (less files = less memory being used, right?).

I have two other paint schemes in progress, and a few more ideas. Then it's on to the first round of Sparks.

If anyone has any particular 60s ideas they'd like to see done let me know and maybe I can work it in. There is a lot of room for more cars in here, and I will probably run out of inspiration for new schemes at some point!

5. ROON

ROON Registered

Those are really nice. Not sure about having rFactor logos on them though... or do you mean some of ISI's fictional 60's logos?

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

rF2 is going to be confusing when the modern F2 machines are released.

7. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

The fictional 60s logos. I might have to make a couple of my own, but I'd like to use rF's brands

8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

i thnk the thread title will be "F2 Historic Skinpack" :)

9. ROON

ROON Registered

2 F2's in rF2! ;)

Okay, cool. :)

10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Quick little progress update. I've started a couple more liveries but none of them are quite done yet (small tweaks, etc) and they aren't standalone yet, either. I've also done a little more texture-work on this one. Ignore the wonky helmet line; that was a first try at getting a stripe down the middle. It will be very tough to get one straight but it is possible. It would be A LOT easier if I could get a wireframe for the helmet model, though.

Are there any modders here that could open up the helmet GMT file and spit out a UV map with wireframe for me? It would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

I've also done some more work on the goggles. I've tweaked the way I did the highlighting on the black tape and I've added some more around the nose of the goggle. I think I might make the lenses darker on this one, too.

View attachment 3633

I've found a bunch more resource images and found many drivers actually did have some slight personalization to their helmets; Lawrence had a checkered pattern above the visor, some other drivers had different central stripe patterns on theirs, etc, so I will try to add a few nice helmets in here, too.

On this car, I have a list of about a dozen texture things I want to do; including a new seat texture to replace the one currently in the car and de-chroming the exhaust pipes. I can't decide if I should go with a white or a black pipe, though...

1 person likes this.
  11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think most pipes were white then. I suppose they were interested about gass flow which is easy to see against white and it was easy to just respray them afterwards.
    I mostly see chrome pipes in vintage racers, as they want them to last longer.
    Black pipes imho came latter as gass flow was for granted?
    Just my thoughts on this, could be completely wrong...

12. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I know the Honda RA300 from 1967 had black pipes, but the Ferrari 312 of the same year has white. I guess I'll just pick based on looks... Black pipes on the black car could have a rather nice menacing look ;)

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

VROOOOM, cough, cough :cool:

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

rethinking about this... I suppose they were interested about gass leakages from pipe welding which is easy to see against white (and I suppose they did a lot of corrections in pipes prior to races, trying to get gasses flow perfect) and it was easy to just respray them afterwards, so they could see and repair cracked pipes.

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Could be! I have no idea about such things, though. lol

I just picked up some more freelance work so I'm working overtime the coming little bit, updates will be (even) slow(er)... Once I actually get my base texture updates done, though, each individual car should be fairly quick (a session or two, working time, probably) for the Eve.

[EDIT] I think I'm done with the goggles now. What do you guys think?

View attachment 3674
    View attachment 3673

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  16. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Another small update here. New team (Inazuma Racing Team) with two drivers. All that's left on these is the exhaust pipes, which I'd like to make flat white. Once I have it working on these team cars I'll do a black one on the first car I posted.

Things should progress quicker soon (by which I mean more paints done) because there will be less texture-work and less to figure out for each successive team. :)

Goggle taping variant.
    View attachment 3832
    View attachment 3833
    Team livery

Is the colour of the suit right? I think the blue might be a little too saturated, and maybe too dark? I'm colour blind so it's tricky to match it all up.

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

In comparison with the rest of the render, the blue is too saturated.

18. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Thanks, Jim. I'll tweak it further. :)

Another update, two more team cars 'Sparwood Racing Team.'

View attachment 3837
    View attachment 3838

In addition to just a scheme, these guys also have darker windshields and grey pipes. I don't know how to keep the pipes from having a strong reflection, though. On the highest setting, they get environment reflections which I can't control. I've dumbed-down the cube maps so they should be more or less matte at lower settings, but I don't know how to change it at higher settings without modifying the material itself (which I don't want to mess with).

19. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Another car added. With this one, the total historic F2 field is now 15 vehicles (including the six liveries that come with the game). Maybe I should begin working on the Spark...

View attachment 3840

Let me know what you think. :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

All looking very good Ryno917.

:cool: