What I believe to be wrong with the RF2 tire model / grip levels / lack of control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

See I respect James, because although he doesnt agree on certain things he talks with sense and a right attitude, you on the other hand are just a straight up bashing troll.

How can you say real cars dont drive like rFactor 2 at all. rFactor2 is the closest thing to reality that we have in any sim. Nothing is perfect though.

Just because Netkar Pro may feel easier to correct oversteer doesnt mean its more real, but of course your not going to complain about that because who would complain if you can save every slide, most wouldnt as it feels good to be controlling and saving every slide.

Also how in the heck can you say rFactor 2 is not close to reality at all, and that we are just fanboys and all this other crap you keep saying? OTHER THAN YOUR OBSESSION WITH OVERSTEER (which like I said isnt perfect in rFactor 2, but also way overdone and way too easy in NetKar Pro), so again, other than some oversteer issues in rFactor 2, can you tell me where the physics model is just sooooo terrible??????

In my view rFactor 2 is BY FAR the best/most realistic simulation of racing car dynamics, correcting bigger slides is not perfect, but is just one aspect of thousands maybe millions of things that make a sim and affect how a vehicle acts and reacts.

The fact that you can say a sim is soooo horrible because one aspect (controlling certain oversteer in certain situations) is maybe not perfect, yet proves that you are being very narrow minded and ignorant. I say this because there are many, many, MANY things that affect vehicle behaviour, how it reacts on track, how you affect the balance of a car with the throttle, brake, steering, how that affects the handling based on car setup, different amounts of throttle affecting mid corner balance depending on your shock settings, how the rear left tyre got just a little squirmy while it was under heavy load on a long fast right hander, how that quick bump affected the suspension, and how that affected everything else, and how that affected the balance of the car for that split micro second, etc etc etc etc etc etc. I can go on and on and on about the thousands of things invlolved with racing car handling/behaviour, but you on the other hand judge an entire sim based on one fact, "correcting oversteer". Well Project gotham Racing 1 for Xbox 1 had very nice drifting control and "feel". Does that mean its way better than rFactor 2 and that rFactor 2 is crap? Come on, lets get real here.

Your analysis is very narrow minded. Your obsession with one physics flaw (in certain situations) in a sim that BY FAR leads the industry in probably most of or all other physics aspects of a racing simulation, is severley affecting and "blinding" your judgement of rFactor 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

if its so good, why are they still working on the physics then.

explain that.

leads the industry? what industry. the 'simracing' industry?

ALSO...my post wasn't even about being able to catch a slide, it was trying to explain the depth to the game - the depth in terms of how the car handles, and reacts, when on or over limits, compared to RF2.

It was nothing to do with catching slides.

again clearly english isn't your first language, so im not going to judge your inability to understand.
    (and seriously dont take that the wrong way, thats not a diss, as i said before i wish i could speak another language)

your comparison with PGR 3 is RIDICULOUS - ......the reason why i wouldnt say PGR 3 is better than RF2......is because RF2 is more realistic than PGR 3.....

that much is obvious. You can also control drifts in Ridge racer........that doesnt mean i think its more realistic than RF2.

we've given plenty of examples and reasons as to why NKP is better, you just dont seem to get it.

The reason why the issue of Correcting oversteer is SO IMPORTANT - is because it is a certain moment in driving that is fundamental to how you drive a car. It is a behaviour which is very important to be able to use, not just to correct, but to actually use as a driver, either on turn in, or correcting on exit.

It is one of the behaviours that totally influences how you drive a car on the limit + its actually one of the most enjoyable things about holding a car on the limit.

For a game to simulate that properly, it has to have good enough physics to replicate that behaviour properly. It is a very good test of the game. RF2 fails the test. As I say - i can easily do world class laps in RF2, because the game is very easy to learn - and if you drive in a totally linear fashion, with total smoothness and precision, its very easy.

Theres absolutely no depth to the driving at all - NKPRO gives you an infinite amount of variables to play with..............exactly like the real thing.

If real cars were like RF2, pretty much all racing drivers, in all catergories, would be within hundredths of each other, all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Dude, I don't care what your opinion of rF2 is, but that has got to be one of the dumbest and lamest comebacks ever lol

[​IMG]

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think its a totally legitimate thing to say , the fact is people are defending RF2s tire model when its known to be unfinished evan the cars are unfinished and evan aspects of the tracks are unfinished.

With NKP for example although it has good depth in car handling , the simulator suffers from a lack of initial grip with allot of the cars and the tracks are all flat as hell ( hardly any road texture/bumps) so presumably thats what they have developed and worke don with AC

5. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

er........its a valid comeback because spinelli is saying its the best most realistic thing ever.............................If that was the case.....ISI wouldnt be developing it further.

understand?

6. osella

osella Registered

I think they're so happy because of the potential it shows, I don't remember anyone saying that rf2 tyres are already perfect :cool:

7. osella

osella Registered

No, there's no conflict in those statements - example: just because someone is the fastest driver doesn't mean he can't get even faster.

8. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

If you are unhappy with rf2 just stop play it and go play NKP.

And note that no one ever said here that rf2 is finished and that the tire model is perfect, so please start read what people are talking to you.

If you don't believe me just check bug report threads. Lot of us report many issues with physics, gfx, sounds etc, but also lot of us are happy even with current rf2's state.

Is it so hard to understand this?

BTW, I'm not against NKP, it was my favourite sim (in terms of handling & FFB) few months ago...

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Because obviously ISI is not finished with it yet. Just because "people" are happy does not mean ISI is happy.

You make it sound like a bad thing: that they are still working on something most people are perfectly happy with.

I think that's a great thing. You make this thread, pointing out what you think is wrong... but you don't want them to work on it anymore??

To me, and a lot of other people, it's already the best FFB and physics we've ever felt in a sim.

That's not "defending an unfinished product", that's just stating our opinion.

Not sure what you want mate?

10. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Yeah, for me too... best sim I've ever touched at the moment. Since now I was happy with rFactor1 due leagues and modding, but I liked NKPro and iRacing phisics more than rFactor or other... but now, at the first contact with rFactor, I 'm one more that loves this despite to be unfinished. Phisics are awesome and FFB isn't perfect but It feels good :D

The best, what people are saying, the potential of the sim, now is very good, tomorrow will be better.

PD: I think hiohaa comment was... not very clever too. If NKP are near perfection to you, why they are making AC so differente like I read? all can improve

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

So let me understand...

...you can write down 33 pages of confusional stuff about rF2 tire physics (and I doubt you know how the new tire model is working)....when tire model its known to be unfinished even the cars are unfinished and even aspects of the tracks are unfinished?

Sooo....you can spread s***t about an unfinished product YOU DON'T KNOW at all (the rF2 tire model architecture) but other people can't say you're wrong because the product is unfinished?

Are you kidding? :D

1 person likes this.
  12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Wait and care ... sure he have something to say about this too. He always have something to demonstrate you're wrong.

PD: I needed to say It... sorry :eek:

13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

+1

+1

14. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Show me one place where I said Rf2 was finished or that sumone else said RF2 wqs finished ?

you telling me to read is counter productive obviously I'm reading peoples posts.

Its strange all the aggression people have on here when someone has a critical view of the product the same thing happens on WMD with Pcars which I'm sure everyone here will agree has totally unresponsive and unrealistic physics at this point in time. But there users will still defend it tooth and nail.

Also with I-racing saying one negative thing and you have the core community jumping on you apart from a select group of players that are not overly invested in any given product and just enjoy sim racing as a general thing of interest.

Any time I talk about the technical aspects of it in terms of ISI's implementation its more as a question, you will notice I have always Asked or said "to the best of my understanding" . You will also have noticed when someone gives a specific technical link or actual data or information I think them.

"Sooo....you can spread s***t about an unfinished product "

Where Have I spread **** about it ? I have multiple times said clearly RF2 us unfinished still in beta and also used that point to make the argument against people that are so happy with the way the cars are at this point in time when clearly they are still doing allot of work on them.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Too many reports coming from this thread, you've all started to get upset, and you obviously can't discuss it anymore. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular for that, I think you all need to lighten up a bit. I'm certainly not going to spend my weekend babysitting this thread though, so I'm afraid I am taking this particular one away from you by closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.