Multipull Servers on 1 Dedicated box

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Dan AccretionRacing, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dan AccretionRacing

Dan AccretionRacing Registered

Hi all many thanks for taking the time to read my post
    after patch 1.01 I read that we can now host more than 1 server from the same box
    because it now reads the location for the server files or something
    I have tried to add a 2nd server to our box but I am still only getting 1 of the 2 server showing at any one time
    1 server is 1960
    1 server is Masters
    if both are running and I see the Masters server in the list and try to join it joins me on the 1960's server
    so I am taking it that I do not have it set up right can anyone point me in the right Direction
    I have tried to change the ports listed for the server but it still the same
    again many thanks for you help and ongoing support

2. Radar

Radar Registered

When you say you have changed the ports.. are you talking about the ports in the Multiplayer.ini file ?? if so it should work..

I'm still having issues with one server disconnecting at random with 'cannot connect to matchmaker' after they have been running for hours or even days, but otherwise they both appear in the server list and I can connect to either of them..

3. Dan AccretionRacing

yes I changed the ports by 100 on multiplayer join and query

4. Radar

Radar Registered

mmmm I'm not sure why it's not working then.. Is it a dedicated server from a host or through a firewall (home) ?? I'm at work but I'll post my lines up tonight for you just in case..

If running the dedicated server behind a firewall, make sure the ports are open on the router.

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

When you start the server you have a drop down "Select which player file to use with this server". Make sure you select different files for each server and like you already did change the ports in one of these files (i would change all 5 ports just to be sure - wan join, wan query, lan join, lan query, http port).
    Also try creating a copy of the rfactor Core directory (rename it to whatever you like) and run the second server from that copied directory.

6. Dan AccretionRacing

we are using the Launcher as the dedicated.exe has no mods installed they just will not install via that route so we had to use the launcher mod manager it is a total F*** Up

7. Dan AccretionRacing

Total Kudos to you Got them to show up as individual servers but I can only join the 1st server I start
    the other 2 I can not join so I am guessing it is a join Port issues

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Seems like you still load the same player file (same file = same ports).

I did it like this:
    In rfactor2\Data\UserData you have a folder "player" and inside is file "player.plr".
    1. First I made a copy of a whole "player" folder and renamed it to "Server1" (and inside renamed "player.plr" to "server1.plr").
    2. Then I made another copy of a whole "player" folder and renamed it to "Server2" (and inside renamed "player.plr" to "server2.plr").
    3. In "Server2" folder I changed all ports (I changed the ports numbers by 100, not only by 1, don't know if that makes any difference).
    4. I made a copy of the "Core" folder and renamed it to "Core2".

5. When you want to run the 1st server start the "Core\Launch rFactor.exe", click Host and in the "Select which player file to use with this server" drop down select "server1" (thats the name of the plr file from step 1) and close the Launcher.
    6. When you want to run the 2nd server start the "Core2\Launch rFactor.exe", click Host and in the "Select which player file to use with this server" drop down select "server2" (thats the name of the plr file from step 2) and close the Launcher.

Good luck!

9. Dan AccretionRacing

I will give it a go many thanks I had done all of the above except use the launcher I Used dedicated.exe thanks for your help

10. Radar

Radar Registered

I don't use the launcher at all.. Use the dedicated server .exe file, yes you will need to use the mod manager to install your mods and tracks but it works and I've had no issues, even using the same player name I still get both servers running independent..

The player name is just a player name, nothing more.. it will not create a problem where you can't connect to one or the other..

Use the dedicated.exe file as you have, and I'll post my info tonight..

Sorry I didn't reply the other day, I've had some long days at work and totally forgot.. I've emailed myself at home to remind myself to post in here for you Dan.. I'm in Australia so I'm not where you are and what time you will see the help...

11. Radar

Radar Registered

Ok.. These are my settings.. From the Multiplayer.ini file..

WAN Join Port="32297" // range is 1025 - 65535

You only need to change the Join WAN port to match (unless you have the server on a LAN then change the LAN also).. I didn't change the other Port settings, I left them alone..

I use the ModMgr.exe to install my mods and tracks because I do have more than 1 install and also because I have the 'Packages' location outside the install.. I do this so that I don't have multiple mods and tracks packages in the game install.. Means I am using one packages location for all my rf2 servers.

If you like, install 1x rF2 with your packages location outside of this ie C:\Packages\ and then set this server up (install mods and tracks) then duplicate it (copy paste). Name them something like rF2_1, rF2_2 or whatever, something so you know which server is what..

Edit the second server multiplayer.ini with the different port address so they both appear and can join..

Now run the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe file (shortcut on the desktop with the port addresses) to run the servers..

NOW.... This is what I added in my properties (on the desktop shortcuts) for each of the servers.. It is a setting that was used in rF1 and I just carried it across to rF2 and it works also.. Try the shortcut WITHOUT the additional properties, but if it doesn't work then add the line and try again (I'd be curious if it worked and or made a difference). So, edit your shortcuts (properties) in in the field 'Target' I have this
    "C:\rFactor2_1\Core\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +profile "DedicatedServer" +nosound +connect 100.100.100.100:32297"

The +profile +nosound probably doesn't need to be there, as I said they were carried across from rF1 but the +connect with the IP address (I put 100.100.100.100 so to not display my server IP in here) and then the :32297 (use your port number here) is something that helped me to run each server according to port number via that shortcut.. sure the multiplayer.ini file has it, but at first this didn't work for me and my +connect did once it was added.

Oh and my server is Win 2003..

Try that Dan and let me know..

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I would say the +profile is the most important setting there is. Maybe it works without because there is a default value set internally ("DedicatedServer") but how else would you load different mod per server if you use the same profile?

1 person likes this.
  13. Dan AccretionRacing

Many thanks all I have it working we now have 3 dedicated server running on 1 box kudos to all that helped
    it was a profile issue once I made 3 profiles with different names it worked

14. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

I do hope this is not the only way to make it work...

What you are doing here, is exactly what is NOT to be done with rf2. You are installing all content into the core folder this way, and thats not how it was told to be done.....

I am not sure whats causing it, but with this new system, or with the new build, it has become yet again another puzzle to get the servers working in a decent way. Again, without any instructions, all is changed.

Personally, I am getting tired of it. everytime all works, something like this happens, and you need to spend a lot of time fixing it. I am seriously wondering if ISI simply doesnt want us to be online....
    Besides the server side issues, this build has given the most strange problems with joining as well. Some issues are here since the beginning, and are not addressed by ISI. That makes me wonder....

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

No, you didn't read carefully enough - there is only one (1) content (Data) directory. Data directory is NOT in the Core directory. You only copy Core directory and that is a minor thing compared to the Data directory. And I imagine in the final release even Core directory would not need to be copied.

You probably don't know how software development works. Tim already explained and in short they won't and can't bother with things that will be different in the next release anyway. That makes sense - why would you do the same thing twice, why would you renovate a house if you will rebuild it from the ground up next year?
    And the other part is they don't bother with polishing to perfection each and every build they release because that would dramatically increase development time.
    I can understand it can be frustrating but I don't understand why are people like you (no offense) in beta if you all can't handle it?

16. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Lol :) I can handle Beta Abriel. And I know what you mean. However.

When using the modmng.exe file, in the core directory to install, the files go into the core dir. Thats needed if you want to run the dedicatedserver.exe file from there. Can't make anything else out of that, and thats exactly what was told NOT to do.

I was refering more to simple issues, which aren't working still. A way to define which instance of the dediserver is running i.e.. It's easy to add the profile name to the server screen, so you can see which server is which profile. Also, car selections which go wrong. Those are not issues you need to do twice.

I can understand software development. Been active with it for about 20 years now (professionally, and privately). I know what a Beta is, and how development goes. You could have seen that in my previous posts on the ISI forum.
    What I cant handle, is releasing updates with so many mistakes in it. Things that would or should have been known if it's tested. Hence my remark about not caring about the online games. On top of that, there are no instructions or notifications of major changes, which means that server administrators have to re-invent the wheel over and over again. When making software, providing a common way of practice, is not to much to ask now is it? As the developers know how things work, and when things are changed, they seem to be the ones to help out. Thats what I miss @ ISI.

Ow, and for the record, no offense taken offcourse :)

17. Radar

Radar Registered

I'm with you Marco, it has been a headache for me in setting up the servers and I've found the above to work for me, it could be wrong but as you say, without instructions to minimize what needs to be installed where or how, I can only go from what is working for me now..

Thanks Abriel regarding the +profile part..

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

I managed to get it working with the regular installs (so regular mod manager, and use of data folder). It DOES involve the profile tips, which I got here, so for me this thread has been helpfull as well. It's just that I wanted to warn for the consiquenses of the way described above.

In principle, just the steps to create an extra profile, and use that profile for a server instance, should work.
    Now I am not sure if this is related, but I do still have loads of issues with the servers in terms of downloading the mod content from the HTTP settings. Also, joining a server still is hard to do. I wrote a little workaround so we can still use is, but it's far from perfect.
    And in terms of the identification of the server instance, we have decided to go back to basics, and use a .txt file on the desktop of the server, in which we specify the game name, and the profile used to set it up. Again, it works, but it leaves a lot of room for human errors, and non working servers.