Tim's Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

been on Iracing for about 5 years & only mainly used 3 sim cars

spec racer ford 1st 3 years
    radical last 2 years
    f1 the last year in conjunction with the radical

only really used/mastered 8 tracks

getting into the fine details is where the enjoyment is, I've not really raced this year, just online practice sessions

I'd be happy if rf2 only had 6 cars to choose from & ive not even downloaded or tried any of the last 4 to 5 they've released

2. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Yep, I always liked the question in the early rF2 days on the public servers "can you please send me your setup" and I could honestly say "I use the default setup". To be fast is most of the time no rocket sience, but most drivers dont notice their mistake and then you have drivers who can improve when you tell them teir mistakes and you have the type that stays slow :D

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

+1, I always remembered seeing that message come through within minutes of setting a fast single laptime. And to give the "I'm using default" answer, they would always be sceptical.

Just driving the car, knowing the track, and then realising where time is to be gained and lost using your inputs. "Little bit of a lift off there, clip there, etc".

I set two pretty fast hotlaps around LRP in the Skippy with 2 absolutely totally different setups. There's so much depth in a sim that there is never one thing that you can totally improve your times on. Get out and do laps and feel the nuances in what you are doing.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

@Lazza, but those (let's call them) "less skilled" folks who DO put in lots of laps are not who I am referring to. It's the ones who DON'T try and whine for more content that I am talking about. Anyway it is what it is whoever is right but I'm standing by original statement that people who just want "more" are unskilled.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Or perhaps have a shorter attention span than some? I don't think there is a definitive answer here. Some people like lots of things, when some are just happy there are things :D

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Guys who makes statements in public forums claiming other people to be unskilled and that multiplayer is for lightweights are loners with big selfishness and races only AI offline.

Dear ISI community forgive and ignore them they simply don`t know better.

7. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

I think you misunderstood most of the above.

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Ah I get it now yeah a.d.d. is an awful disease that can strike anyone but I figured those guys that are fast are based more on raw talent than skill but yeah we're close enough...

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ADD isn't a disease, it's a disorder, and it doesn't 'strike' anyone (it's not like a cold or flu). I also don't believe in talent. But we're waaaay off track here...

10. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Personally, I agree with a lot of the folks that would like more content or don't like a mod. I believe this way because I like a certain era and style of racecars/competition. If a mod does get released and it doesn't give the people what they are looking for, then why not stop using it.
    ISI have created an amazing racing simulation and with it some fantastic cars, heaps even, I like a lot of them but not all of them, its not that they are no good, its just that I don't like that style of racing/ cars.
    As John said, I could join a league and get a full years racing with one mod, but to find a league that runs the type of mods I like and the nights available to me with a decent number of racers, is not as easy to find.

There are a lot of people complaining about what is available and don't like everything, what's wrong with that, if they don't like it big deal.
    Its got nothing to do with "skill", maybe they just don't like a particular mod.

I'm an Australian but I,d pay for an IMSA mod that contains GTP and GTO class cars from the late 80s , the Celica is one of those cars, I love it, but there aren't any leagues running at available times for me.
    I am an administrator at http://simracingaustralia.freeforums.net/ , we are currently running a raceday series with 3 different classes running on the same track over 3 nights per round, with the ability of RF2 to save the real road rubbering up each week, this gives us a well rubbered track for the last class as though we have been running a full raceday.
    We are using the Miata mod, Apex GT3 mod and the 3.5 Formula Renaults.
    I like the Miatas because they supply fun close racing, I like the Renaults but I don't " love " them, I prefer to concentrate as much as I can on the GT3s, not because I am skilled ( I'm hopeless actually ) but because I love this class of racing.

Generally most Aussie sites run V8 Supercars of one form or another, now don't get me wrong, the current supercars are a class of there own, but I prefer to have stuff that aren't so popular here or some of the stuff I loved reading about when I was younger.

So if people complain that a mod is not good or they don't like it etc, let them, its their prerogative..........its the ones that complain demandingly that there should be other mods or tracks in game that are the problem.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I totally agree.

12. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

The same thing happens in the real world. Since the engine can't be changed on the sim, many think the magic bullet is setup. In karting, the easiest thing to change is the motor. When we were the team to beat many folks would buy a motor from my builder and then complain bitterly when we still kicked their butt. I explained when telling them who built our motors that driver skill is one third of lap time, and setup is one third, but nobody wanted to hear that. Some had the temerity to accuse my builder ripping them off with a lesser motor. After a while my builder asked me to stop giving out his name, he was so tired of the abuse from our competitors. Granted, this was the junior class and a lot of parents weren't real knowledgable, but the lesson remains: many don't want to put in the effort, they want the magic bullet.

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I don`t think so. You don`t get my point. Before you can make statements that other people are unskilled and lightweights you must do it much better then this:

If you have the talent it is easy to see that video is not Profesonalsimracing.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Signed!

15. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

It wasnt me who said unskilled and my point was, that most people are by no means unskilled. They just dont realize small mistakes. I invested hours to make data overlays to show several drivers where they are missing out and everyone of them could get from 3 seconds off my pace close to 0.5 seconds or the same pace. There are very few, who cant do that and they are really unskilled, but 90% of the drivers I met have all the potential, but dont put enough thought into their driving and start worrying about the setup instead of their driving. That was my point and that is by no means offensive...
    So yeah you didnt get what I was trying to say.

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, and I guess the issue for them is it feels like they are at the absolute limit. No matter what you are actually doing with the car, if you think you are on the edge, and getting ragged, you aren't gunna progress and you will be thinking to yourself "what is going wrong, I'm pushing harder than the front guys and I am slower!". Must be dat derr magic alien setup. Your brain probably won't want to tell you to slow down and that the issues are your own skills and inputs.

I know that setup can play a massive part in race pace, especially making the car easier and more consistent over many stints. But when I see people doing qualifying style fast runs, I feel I can overcome most issues on the default setup using just the throttle and brakes differently. You'll be going hard on the tyres anyway if you are doing a couple of quick laps, so use that throttle to kick the rear around if it's pushing, maybe it doesn't matter so much if you start to lock an inside tyres trail braking.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

My reply is not about what you are saying. It is about selfishness and how some people are thinking that they are much better then everybody else.Video is good example about that. If you have talent you see what I mean. Some guys don`t realize that we have common hobby and that you don`t tell to anybody that they are unskilled or if somebody likes to race public MP that they are lightweights.
    Some likes more content to rFactor2 then others. Let`s remember that they opinion is as valid as those who feels we have cars and tracks needed to rFactor2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  18. Eddy

Eddy Registered

This ^^ i totally agree to. It is all about enjoying your hobby. I for instance am such a lightweight and love to improve myself but just dunno how to.

I've raced with WhiteShadow many many times and he is always, no matter what combo we drive, at least 3 seconds faster than me. But he never said your no good at this instead he gives hints and tips to me to become a better driver. Now that is what I call respect.

And know what? We both enjoy our hobby and have fun racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  19. Minibull

Minibull Member

I may have missed some posts here, but I dunno if anyone has said they didn't help slower drivers or dissed them.

20. Eddy

Eddy Registered

You are right i was talking about respect and let everyone decide how he has most fun out of his hobby.

In other words. Calling people unskilled because they would like to see more content. Well to me it seems that's a wrong conclusion and not showing much respect.

Just my opinion no offence ment.

Let's carry on with Tim's tweets