Tim's Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Aug 9, 2012.

1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Its early . :p fixed that for you Tig.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You guys want me to spit on my monitor or something? ;)

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No, but nobody can tell me what I should say o not say!:)

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Twit twoo

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You just gave me a Mr. Dressup flashback. :p

6. freew67

freew67 Registered

But I put my jacket down.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Add him to your ignore list. :)

8. 88mphTim

If you go ahead and do that, then the guys don't need to bother with the raindrops. Bu-dum-tssscchhhhh!

9. 88mphTim

We're starting simple. No shifters right now. 125cc. I don't know enough about real karts technicalities to know what to tell you. But I actually think in terms of pure "fun" - karts are to the top of the list with me, above the Civic. Not what I expected really pre-testing. Obviously those of you who have driven karts will be right at home like I was. I made the same mistakes braking too hard and kiling my momentum, etc. You can drive it sideways, but you shouldn't a lot of the time. Steering will be the major issue for a lot of people, as it's as responsive as a real kart. In terms of weight transfer of the driver, we do that for you right now, which is a good thing for me because I found out I actually lean the wrong way (to increase stability) in a real kart, rather than the other way (to help turning) as the Pros do. The Quebec track comes with 3 layouts. Very enjoyable. :) Of course there's other places we will add karting layouts. I even got permission from Indy to do an infield karting track in one of their parking areas (when I surveyed it one of my trips there, they had a karting track setup).

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

:D

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the karts more than anything else

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sweet!!

13. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Thanks very much for the info - I really can't wait to try them.

Yes the steering is very sensitive on real Karts so I'm glad you've got that replicated, and as you said - keeping your momentum up is extremely important. That's something I didn't realise when I first started Karting, but if you brake too hard and knock off more speed than you should it takes a long time to get it back (and you have people passing you left and right).

Another thing that shocked me when I first tried Karting was the heavy steering, obviously being used to power-steering on road cars - my arms were wrecked by the end.

Oh and one last thing - the weight of the driver! And I'm not talking about weight transfer here - I mean how much you physically weigh. :eek: It's more important in Karting than other motorsports because the engines simply don't have that much power, especially on the slower Karts, so a heavier person will be accelerating noticably slower than someone very slight.

Perhaps you could have a feature where we can type in our individual weights before we get to drive them! lol You know, to keep the realism. ;)

Thanks again for the reply. My favourite cars so far are the MR01 and the Skip Barber, but I think I'm looking forward to the Karts even more than I was with those, which is saying a lot.

14. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Depends how you define increasing stability :p If you lean to the inside you will get less oversteer initially, or more understeer. For me it definatly is more unstable leaning inside rather then outside, with terrible understeer. Most people will have that excually (more understeer). Therefore most people will have a hard time from mid-corner to corner-exit. Because of the understeer most people will off course steer sharper, but then somewhere through the corner the kart will have lost enough speed due to friction of the front wheels and/or braking (depends on corner obviously, in wide quick corners it doesn't happen as much as tight hairpins ;) ) so that the front end regains the grip to turn as sharp as you are turning your wheel. Only problem is that that happens while you are steering sharply, and that will unsettle the rear end.

The problem with Go-Karts is that they have a solid rear axle, meaning the inner and outer rear tyres can only move with the same speed, but in a corner the outer tyre has to make more distance than the inner tyre. Because they move with the same speed, the friction of the rear wheels will try to push the kart straight (Understeer). If you lean to the outside however, then the chassis will flex a bit, causing the inner rear tyre to excually lift of the ground. Because it isn't touching the ground, the kart won't be pushed straight (so less or none understeer). That makes that you can be easier on the steering wheel, which also resolves the problem of having oversteer on the second part of the corners :)

That really depends on both technique and setup. Depending on setup off course it will be lighter or heavier, but also the thing I described above causes it. If you lean the wrong way (to the inside that is), then you will have more understeer, and it will be heavier to steer, especially on corner entry.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

You shouldn't tell him to do that Tim!shame on you......:confused:

16. 88mphTim

I can't say I found steering in the sim particularly stiff in terms of FFB, but running a race in the karts I do feel more worn out, sweaty, 'jelly arms' than I do in a full race in the Civic, if that means anything.

17. 88mphTim

It's far better for you, for him, for the forum, for people who annoy each other, to not be forced to read each others posts. Using the ignore function makes forum visits better for those who use it.

There's no way in real life you would listen to someone who annoys you in the same way you are forced to on a forum when you don't choose to ignore them. :)

18. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I will never ignore anybody. Even the most annoying one can sometime share valuable info about our beloved game. If not i can still grab a beer and think: "This is only a internet, nothing was really happend :) I still have my Family, our house, my car and my bank account and earth is still running in the same direction :)"

19. 88mphTim

Some people can't do that. ;) Good for you though. :)

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Power of self control is valuable thing these days :)