Is there any point in us reporting bugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pax, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Alesi

Alesi Registered

just list of known bugs and mark them (check (or done) uncheck or WIP) that s it, so we should not to to repeat them, so we can see what already done and what still need to do

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's the wrong idea. If you see a bug has already been reported, you should report it again (repeat).

If only 2 people say they have a bug, maybe it's not important...... If 20 people say they have the same bug, then it becomes important.

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

+1 with buddhatree
    Besides, how much time does it take ;)

Further on, I think you should ask yourself a question: what if you find a bug and don't report it, because you expect ISI doesn't do anything with it. Could you forgive yourself if the bug is still there in gold??? I think not, so I would report it, and then you can always blame ISI (when not fixed) if you feel like it.....

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think most (if not all) serious development teams are powered by issue tracking system.
    Some of us suggesting that is is useless tool :) good to know ;)

buddha and Numugp: it is not competition about who will find more bugs. It is about not reporting the same bugs by the same person multiple times for each build. Additionally if some one want to contribute he may add comment to existing bug. There is no need to report it as separate issue.

Jezus, some one invented bugtracking systems and whole word (including ISI) is using it. But you are trying to prove it has no sense?

A few seconds. A lot more than reporting the same bug multiple times, creating screenshots, describing issues etc.
    We also assume that ISI reads all bug reports, right? So do you think that reading the same report 5 times takes less time than hitting a button for setting issue status?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  5. Alesi

Alesi Registered

exactly

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Well, I was thinking here how nice it would be to have buglist and to be able to click button "I have had this"

Then I started thinking that we have buglist, bug report forum, we can add text "I too have experienced this" to bug thread.

Maybe it is more of point of view issue than issue?

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Try to add your comment to issue created for let's say build 85, and still remaining in current version ;)

Also this approach makes no possible to get to know if ISI is/will work on this, or maybe some one is missed it.
    I can imagine Tim digging in post archives to give developers complete list of reported issues, lol.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

New thread to 101 bug forum with link to old thread, yeah it has bit more work, but doable?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's what I do, not for 101 yet though hehe!

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

As well as providing us some kind of tracker system (ie plugin for this forum).

Also no one said that the issue is reported by the same person for older and current build. You always dig whole archive before adding new issue?

BTW: If they don't want to spent 5 seconds managing issue in bugtracker, why you suggest to spend minutes searching trough archive?

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

5-30 seconds is time most of the devs do not have to spare. It works how it works, if you need to feel appreciated and responded to, know that we do appreciate the people testing and reporting, but we're not going to take the time (and that's the important factor) to respond unless we need more info while we're focused on development.

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

nobody talk about need being appreciated.
    as mostly Tim put words into some other mouths. I found his answere quite arogant also.

ISI should be happy long tail effect exists

13. 88mphTim

Even not responding to you like I haven't the past few days does not stop you from attacking me. You need to stop this, MaXyM.

This is your final warning.

14. Pax

Pax Registered

I am sure both ISI and the users here understand and respect that both ISI staff the the rest of us have limited time to spare. So, when both you and we put time into improving rFactor2, we both want to know the time is not wasted.

Before reporting the bug mentioned in the original post, I did have a look in the bug sub-forum for info on the bug reporting and handling procedure, but there was no info to find. A few weeks later with no reaction from ISI and an archived bug report, of course I wondered what happened.

I am perfectly fine with no response, just as long as I know the bug report is taken care of. In order to avoid threads like this in the future, I suggest that you simply post a sticky thread in the bug reporting sub forum that explains the bug reporting and handling procedure.

Thanks,

15. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Who said it has to be a developer? I thought you mentioned before having in-house testers? Couldn't they just provide an exported list of defects from whatever internal tracking tool you use and make that available so people know if it is known or not? That process would take maybe ten minutes if that.

16. 88mphTim

Yeah and I'm sorry, the process was posted a few builds ago. When you post a bug and it gets archived, if it still exists in a new build, please repost it, linking to the old archived post. That process got archived along with the build it was posted in. I'll re-post the process as a sticky in this forum though. :)

17. 88mphTim

Time is not the only factor (but is the most important), we are not going to change how this works. If you are unhappy reporting bugs due to how it works, you are not forced to do so.

18. 88mphTim

19. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

My god.... always the same issues... basically you report a bug and if you get no answer or if its not solved in the next release, you can repost it...if you again get no answer you can hillibilly again and if you get no answer its either because its not important because it will not be considered because it has been forgotten or because you did not repost it again. Got the procedure?

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

so, I have to report single issue five times to get to know it's not important? are You kidding?

sorry guys, but it is amateur approach. they does't respect me for time spent on reporting. I'm not gonna support ISI In that way. Maybe its because I have experience in serious developement excepting too much from ISI-to-open beta testers. but it looks unprofessional to me. that's all.

btw Tim, My post was reaction on yours. It's not an attack but ancomment. If it is Ok to behave that way, but you are not ready to take responsibility (being commented) - its your problem. just ban me or so. but remember Internet doesn't ends on ISIforums. it's you who create ISI's image

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012