How come nobody is using rFactorCentral for new content?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by call-911, Jul 30, 2012.

1. call-911

call-911 Registered

Hi all,
    Coming from using rFactorCentral for just about all of my content for rF1, I'm disappointed to see that there is minimal content being submitted to rFC in order for the community to, monitor development progress, rate it and download it. Is it because rF2 is still in beta?

2. ethone

ethone Registered

No it has nothing to do with rF2 being in beta. Long story short: It has a dismal reputation since Simraceway bought it up, when they tried making money off of modders' work as a business model without giving them a chance to opt out.

Personally I still don't trust them much and I would not rely on a service operated by a company that runs a rival product for my modding/distribution needs. As you may have noticed Simraceway has its own sim (based on rF1 AFAIK but otherwise entirely unrelated to ISI). rFc did little that can't be done otherwise. Mirrors were mostly those 1-click hosters even at rFc, screenshots and the likes you can gather from any proper release thread.

3. call-911

call-911 Registered

Ahhh, Thanks for the explanation, Dennis! That's too bad because it was a great resource for mods. I have your page bookmarked (http://www.trackcreation.net/review/) and check it often in case I miss anything on the forums. I liked having a one stop shop in similar format for the add-ins, car and track mods though. The forums get to be a bit messy and releases can quickly drop away never to be seen again.

Keith Carter

PS. How's RA coming along? ;-)

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I was wondering why all the new submits in tracks on rfc had funky cars in the demo clips. totally put me off. guess I will get rid of rF1 for good now.

5. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

NOOOOOOO DON'T DO THAT!!! There's still F1 Classic:)

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Are you talking about the mod by F1 Classics Team, and then version 1.10 by Chief Wiggum and some other guys?

7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

How come I have missed whole Simraceway thing? Is there something I should know about rFC?

8. ethone

ethone Registered

9. Johannes Rojola

10. ethone

ethone Registered

It's still valid in that it's still operated by Simraceway/its parent Ignite. Whether it's valid for you depends on what you object to. Using mods to run "commercial" races happens in various forms at other places too, like Race2Play. Not respecting modders' wishes and going over their heads with their creations is more of a personal issue, so if you were not affected back then it might not matter.

My personal opinion is that while they have shown some respect lately (someone submitted Fuji and our other Virtua_LM tracks to their site and we received a mail asking if we still wished our mods to not appear on rFc), as a platform it's pretty much dead. Most modders who were around in 2009 don't trust them and don't upload there, among them a lot of the major groups. A distribution channel that lacks the major bits is not worth anything to me, regardless of their intent or conduct.
    If you personally want to upload/download there is entirely up to you.

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I dare them to make commercial benefit from my Kantti mod, they will fail and fall >:-}

Haven't really visited there for a long time, probably I won't put anything there as things are how they are as I support free and open methods nobody should ever have to pay from racing with my creations.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah the place is dead, such a shame as it was an epic community site.

Still, lots of rf1 stuff available though so if you are looking for something you might still find it there.
    For RF2, we are back to square one again?

13. Radar

Radar Registered

I'm hoping something comes up for rF2 that was similar to the old rF Central.. It was simple, easy to find what you wanted, now it's just all over the place..

14. Johannes Rojola

I wouldn't say it is "dead", there is dozens of new stuff uploaded every week. Sure, I search for new stuff from various sites but rFC seems to be one that is most active.

15. THracing

THracing Registered

drivingitalia.net?

16. chappielike2009

chappielike2009 Registered

rFc is great, i have to say Simraceway only used rfc cars in closed beta but only the MMG Mclaren from 2007 i no this because i was there from 2009 then i am not sure on the other modders everything now is scrach or mabe converted you do not no who is working for them but they pay about $150,000 a year for 3d design but do not recognise foreign qualifications.Also SRW have a licence for every car so it realy does not matter were the 3d cars come from closed beta or not they have a licenced 2011 Mclaren F1 car looks alot like a Codemasters car but its not but it is, as its the same because both have a licence and both are identical copys of the real car both are ment to simulate the real driving as best they can.

And why would a good modder who can make something new and amazing that we can all go wow thats amazing spit there dummy out over some old work that they give out to the public ages ago are they realy stuck for making something new?

rFc will have lots of mods for rf2 when it is out of beta the admin has alot to do but you can still put your WIPs on there untill rf2 is final or out of beta.

17. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Only me going to rFC sees, since mid euro late night, a GoDaddy page, as rFC domain was expired?

lol.JPG

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It still works to me. But maybe due to cached DNS. Will see in 24h

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I have just looked, had to sign in as on a different computer and got in no problem...

20. Maug

Maug Registered

I accessed it earlier today but now i got the godaddy page.