Volvo300 (WIP)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by jtbo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kr1nz

kr1nz Registered

I only drived it for a while with a old version of this mod, but it already feels good.
    Keep the good work!

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

[​IMG]

;)

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm sure there will be need when model is made and template, which actually is thing I'm understanding closely as much as pig understand from pearls, but hard working wgeuze probably has probably something planned for that.

There are some pics of how cars are painted and how they actually look:
    http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=dnrt%20volvo%20360&tbs=imgo:1&biw=1724&bih=815&sei=GyfYUOjuMIOl4gSeuYHoBw

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

A photoshop paint template will be provided if you want to have one for sure ;)

Just found out a fix for the problem I was having with modelling the car, due to the sheer simplicity of the shapes that make up this car. Didn't loose sleep over it but did check it out as soon as I woke up ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  5. JWE

JWE Registered

Interesting mod. I guess some members of our league (SimRace Vereniging Nederland) will be interested since they drive DNRT themselves. Looking forward to it!

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

They should surely test this out then and provide feedback! :)

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

This is very interesting!

What I think is that if they have interest and time, perhaps we could improve mod further, would it be possible for you to ask if any of your members would be willing to swap few emails regarding cars?
    There are always things to improve and check.

Also I'm sure wgeuze could use some feedback regarding Zolder track and if there is first hand experience it always is helpful :)

8. JWE

JWE Registered

I did some asking, but they drive other cars, like the Mazda MX-5, unfortunatly. What kind of information do you need, physics or other stuff? I can always make a post on our forum to ask if anybody knows 360 Cup-drivers.

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ah ok. Yeah, physics stuff mostly as there are few differences in suspension and data I have varies quite a bit from some aspects, also I still find it difficult to believe bump travel being next to nothing so would be nice if could really verify that.

10. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

the entire community and esp ISI can be very happy and grateful to have you on board Mister Tbo.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I finally tried this car, and for some reason, I tried on 3 different tracks and it is a slide show in slow motion.
    I ran the update, instead of installing the full install (which I usually do). Maybe that is my problem, since no one else has reported bad performance. It's kinda funny to watch.

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

This has been reported by various users, with various car / track combinations. Something ISI should look into at sooner or later.

13. Driftnick13

Driftnick13 Registered

just tried this out then, 1st with the stock car then with a few tweaks to it like stiffer suspension, more castor, steering lock, toe out on the front, locked diff

tried to change a few things to be more like I have in my own drift car it feels pretty good minus the tyres that don't have much grip

good to have a street car that can slide, gives me hope that Rfactor 2 will be a really good sim for drifting

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Many cursewords later...

Ok, I wrote lengthy reply and hit wrong button, seems I have not installed Lazarus for my laptop so error was unrecovable.

Anyway, I did wrote quite a bit about the issue, I have done lot of testing of it and so far found nothing, only have found what is not effecting it at all, which I guess is good too, unless one runs out things to test...

I'm having bit of electricity issues as at this time of year we get power failures a lot, usually 2 weeks of constant blackouts, so impossible to use computer, except laptop when one lets battery to charge first, hey it is 2013, flying cars are almost here :D

I try to write up more of that bit later, but ctrl-c and you see purple and green bar, if purple bar is full length, then CPU has run out of power and sim goes into limp mode... Unknown is the reason why purple bar is so tall and why few builds ago it was not.

15. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I read many times about you writing half a book and then losing the content when trying to post. Hope that works out better in 2013:p

Greets,

Roland

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Standard car has even softer suspension that what that Cup car has, Cup car has about twice as stiff suspension than stock car, it looks funny if some drift that standard car IRL as it looks like it is about to tip over :D

If you check with Motec, you can see how much grip tires really have, as tires are not street tires at all there is ton of grip, tires that have similar grip level to normal road tires feel like being on ice, With quite bit of adjusting I have been able to get some ok street tires for ChaseUSA mod, but there is a big difference in grip and how 'grippy' things feel.

That is some of problem with sims and our limited interface to them, I can easily make tires that make car feel absolutely wonderful, but when looking data it is always so that there is too much grip. On the other hand when tires are up to specs they don't feel to have too much of grip, even they have plenty.

There is one thing I have my suspicions about, that is how tire heating affects to grip, it might be something that gives bit of issues when sliding around, so I have been thinking that perhaps it is that which causes such impressions with any car that has less grip than GT cars. Also grip dropoff is something one need to look carefully.

You can find original grip values from TGM file, realtime section, I have commented out originals, I probably increase them back at sometime, but not quite decided that yet, there is more to be done with tires anyway and don't know how those change things.

I think that currently it is too easy to spin tires when launching, they are perhaps bit too forgiving when going past limit and there is quite bit of grip when braking.

Play with tire pressures, those can affect quite a bit to how tires work, could be that less pressure is needed to drifting.

Also that low bump travel might cause some grip related issues, it really should cause such issues if my understanding is correct as Cup car according to data is not really resting on springs, any cornering causes suspension to bottom out and that is not good, but that is how they are made.
    I still need to adjust those bumpstops, for example at front there is no space for much of any rubber, sudden infinity spring rate or something like that :-\

.pm file is something that might have some bugs too, I did made it with car factory and put all real data to that, but I'm just not sure about that, so probably there will be some improvements in future too.

Plan is to make this as real as I can and then bit more :)

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

jtbo, little trick I use occasionaly,
    "type a long post in notepad (or something similiar) and when finished copy-and-paste into your post".
    I forget about that procedure all the time

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have used that, but I'm now so used to Lazarus plugin which I have in my main computer that I had no understanding no more what it is without having one, simply shocking, bit same if one would be without trousers, so of course had to install it right away for this one too.

I'm actually using palemoon Portable browser, it would be relatively simple to just use exact same browser for both, but I have been too lazy to do that :p

This saves lot of trouble.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Of course before sending form I still do ctrl-a + ctrl-c, just in case. Last time however I did attempted to add quote and I did click reply with quote instead of that "+ symbol, reason why I did that is not perfectly clear to me :p

1 person likes this.
  19. Driftnick13

Driftnick13 Registered

well it does feel like a old volvo with to much power (running the most powerful engine :p ) so I wasn't really expected it to handle great

probably the biggest issue I had with drifting is how snappy the setup is, need to mess around with it a bunch to overcome it, still having heaps of fun driving it tho :)

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That probably is getting sorted with street tires when I get around to examine area a bit more, semislicks that those skippy tires are, probably are bit snappier than street tires which are probably easiest to drift, kind of grip pillow to lean to with street tires, while semislicks have already some 'cutoff' because of stiffness of tire, speaking of radials, bias tires flex more and don't quite get similar effect from my understanding.

Of course area is something I can't say knowing 100%, probably 50% would be tenfold exaggeration :p

One thing I have found out with rF1 that quite often cars seemed not to have much of suspension motion, kind of iron bars instead of shocks and springs, there is lot of stuff from this at first link of my sig, but area is such that constantly there is new stuff to be learned and very easy to make faulty conclusions, but trough mistakes we learn :)

If you take Cup car as a base and then add to that bigger motor, you probably get best drifting version, Rallycross version is quite bit different, also very WIP, however it has too soft suspension and too much suspension travel for tarmac drifting, those asphalt sections in rallycross are usually just straights, so cars are setup mostly for gravel, also it is bit lighter, has bit less inertia and heavier car is usually always easier to drift than light, to the point of course, as Cup car is bit heavier, lower and with stiffer springs, it probably is best one to start with that and just put big motor to that one, adjust dampers to stiffer setting (slow rebound especially), perhaps front camber closer to 0 and weld diff (1.0 for coast and power). With EVO motor set engine braking map higher, it probably is completely off currently as I think that I have not set it properly yet, so there is too much engine braking and it makes drifting more challenging than it should be, probably EVO engine inertia is off too, I would consider lowering it, even it is long stroke motor with large pistons so it might be tad higher than typical 4 cylinder race motors.

I have actually pics from EVO motor somewhere, pistons, valves, ports etc. covered, such engine costs more than small family car and there have been quite bit of secrecy around them, like with any higher level race motors. Also I remember that not everyone could buy one at one time at least. Nowdays of course things are probably more relaxed as all information is at some corner of internet anyway.

Here it is common to say that "you bought a tractor?" if someone bought a Volvo, Can't remember if it was PV or Amazon that created that image which certainly did stick up to early S/V70 era, not so much true today of course.

In US there was AMC and in Sweden they had Volvo, boring sensible cars that did their job just fine. Similar in there too that AMC during muscle car era did make one of the baddest muscle car while Volvo had it's turbo models and Group A goodness, also P1800 earlier which certainly was not fitting to sensible car image, but it surely is beautiful car.

Perhaps I should of warned that I'm bit of Volvo nut, those old tractors just have something that clicks ;)