Volvo300 (WIP)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by jtbo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Hello.
    First, finally a streetcar mod!!!! I LOVE IT!
    The handling feels so real with my G27.

But i found 1 problem with this great mod.
    When you chose the car and go to tuning, it loads endless till it crashes. It just won't load the car in the 3D View.

I also got 1 suggestion. Please please please, add more options for setups! I want to adjust the gears, anti roll bar etc... Want to finally have a nice drift car :(

Great mod! Thank you

Regards

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm glad that you like from this mod :)

I did warn you though, tuning screen might break things ;)
    Reason for that is mostly because graphical issues, pretty large part of spinner specific objects are not converted to rF2 format, so it will not work until that is done, or most of the object commented out.

At this current state it is just a cup race car, but indeed I intend to put lot more options to it in future, there is lot of engines and other options already made, different gearboxes etc. Eventually I plan to get very much of every bit that has done in reality to this car, but it might take bit time to get there.

Car has been very popular in beginner drifter car in UK for example, so naturally that is one segment that needs covering.

3. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Yes, the driving feeling is a good start!

Apart the spinner issue, i have also corrupted skins, with unreal stripes.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

This is why I did mentioned full settings only be working (I think I did, not sure anymore, did I?), it is missing mipmaps in skin I believe, but I need to hunt gimp dds plugin for this newly installed system to be able to save those with mipmaps.

Graphics are indeed very bad at current state and will be replaced completely before real release, so not much effort will be put to those, well, maybe I paint few different colors when I get dds plugin and get that skin issue fixed, so it would be nicer to have bit different looking cars.

Of course anyone can paint skins if he downloads dev version, but no templates and skin is horrible quality, so I think only worth to put different base color and nothing else. All skins are greatly appreciated :)

I try to write known issues, but it is bit long list, maybe known working this would be better?

There are also mirrors at wrong place at cockpit view and hood has odd shadows, Tuttle says because of tensions in model, sometimes headlight textures are wrong, left rear door has spot that has no UV map I think, there is kind of hole or white stripe, windows are missing completely, rubber strips have bad mapping as texture looks magnified to thousand fold, mud flap at front driver side is floating in air, body is missing bottom bits, no brake lights, rpm needle is not center of rpm gauge, speedometer is lower resolution than rpm gauge, inside mirror is not there when looked outside of car, car's surfaces shines to wrong side and with HDR on it looks really weird, also I think there were some bits at interior that have face kind of facing wrong way, but I remember swapping those and still they were wrong way, now I don't remember if it still had that issue.

There are really lot that I don't remember now, but there are a lot of graphical problems in it's current stage.

Headlights illuminate road well, but there is no headlight glow at all, rear lights also illuminate road constantly.

Also there are no steering wheel as I have forgotten how to fix rotation axis of it, also have no max installed yet, I will look into that when I get this system up and have bit extra time to spare for such, it will be redone completely anyway, so can't spend too much of time there.

Good bit is that anyone can do parts and textures for the car, I kind of like to think this like open source approach, sure there are different styles, but I'm sure interior and outside can be done with bit different style, there can be then 3rd one that can adjust styles bit closer, but at first it is taking awhile as anything with graphics need to be scratch made.

5. Eero Forsblom

Eero Forsblom Registered

Yes, finally! This is something I've wanted to test for a while! I'll give feedback once I get to test this.

somewhat OT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OKN7g8tjoI&feature=player_detailpage

Too bad I didn't get to drive that lovely 340 :D

Last winter we had an Audi 100 Avant and renault 19 as cars. Not your typical racecars either, though the audi was pretty fast..

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Nice pileup there :D

This version is bit different from standard, but might be pretty close what Endurance series car has been built to. I need to change rear camber to -1.5 though to comply with series rules, front camber should be -3.5 to -3 too by rules, but skippy tires might be not perfect without some editing, so they result bit too well steering car, imo. However it is fairly small finetuning that is needed here and there.

One big thing that I need to adjust is suspension travel, front 158mm total shock travel, so bit less real travel, 60mm lowering, so it comes close to no travel in reality, but to get that right I need to find my papers where I have suspension travels documented and then I can calculate how much to have travel bump and rebound, same for rear too.

Front spring rate is actually calculated from springs used in one of real race car of the series.

I think that for rF3 this might be quite good already :)

edit: I always felt that Croft is incredible well made track but as real track lacks of hills, it has not been very interesting for me, I tested this car at Croft and now I can see why people are saying Croft is so awesome, car really is alive there.

Also another to buglist, AI is horribly slow at corners.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  7. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Come on, anyone please create a server with that car ;)

AI in Singleplayer is boring

BTW:

8. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Great work jtbo! It's coming really good, I enjoyed driving it!

Keep it up mate.

Cheers

9. addyduss

addyduss Registered

i made some shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I can't download the devmod version, can you re-upload that one?

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/v360Cup_dev_0.2.zip

Multiple errors in link, now fixed :)

While you are getting your hands dirty at dev mode, here are couple of motors to have fun with:
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/motors.zip

Most are from rF1 times, jtbo engine is actual dyno data from engine I built for my car, aq motor is marine version, 2.5l, Evo motor is bit of monster, used in Rally Cross, motors are bit various quality I'm afraid, engine braking and engine inertia, engine heating as well as fuel consumption are things that might be off, but should get you started, at some point I will make those to be more proper and turbos to be real turbos though.

13. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Where do i put the motors in? Sorry im no Pro haha

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It works only in dev mode, same folder where hdv file is, then you need to edit engine line in hdv file to point engine file you wish to use.

Of course you will need to copy some tracks to dev mode too from your rf2data installed locations to mod dev locations, just copy whole folder and you get new tracks to dev mode.

dev mode volvo should work so that you extract everything directly into moddev folder, that should place everything into correct places.

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Those are incredibly good looking :-o

Thx ;)

16. FONismo

FONismo Registered

No they are not LOL, the car is very funny right now graphically, you know that yourself though.

I like the physics so far mate, really promising. I like the suspension travel and the bodyroll already even early on. It's the first car in rF2 for me when you view it in a replay and slow it down, shows good fidelity of the physics. Car really moves around on the suspension etc. Physics seem quite nice, seems predictable on the limit and quite easy to hold drifts. Really good work so far, reminds me a bit of the cars in HistorX. Really like the feel of the weight shifting around in the FFB, can really feel the suspension at work aswell. Tyres i'm struggling to feel right now in the FFB, maybe just me.

One thing....you said to use 900 degrees, By default for me it's at 1440 or something?

Please keep this mod up, it could be very fun with some more power and a better model.

17. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Ok i extract the zip to the ModDev folder, but i cant find it when i start moddev. Also changed the engine line.
    Thanks for help

NVM. I got it to work :eek:

€dit: Engines are really good for that car. I used the Evo engine. It will be the best engine for driftin, IF: Diff lock and different suspension.

Thanks for this great mod! :)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Thx from comments :)

Compared to my screen, screenshots are stunning, on my screen it is like someone had watercolored the car, because material settings are quite badly off, compared to other cars, certainly not so good looking :D

Yeah, 900 degrees should be correct for current steering lock setting, 1440 would be then if you would use full lock, but afaik no wheel is able to do that, or maybe some very expensive one can?

Not sure if I should just make turns lock to lock in hdv for wheel turns or real car wheel turns, haven't found much info from that.

Slower tracks and Auto-X type of courses are perhaps where this relatively slow Cup car is best, long straights are pretty much waiting game.

Race serie rules state that engine can't be modified any way and exhaust noise level must be below 65dB, running gear must be original, it is very restrictive class. They have raced cars even at Spa and I think it must of been bit boring on those long straights :p

Good points of that is that even relative new and slow guys can race rather good close racing, braking and corner entry are then places to overtake and make or loose time.

Real cars are of course not very pretty either, that makes them kind of interesting, here one can see steering how slow it is but also how well it returns straight (also can hear how nice it is to have wheel rubbing body):

Front suspension I made with car factory, took quite lot of measurements and unless I made errors measuring or car factory errors computing, then it should be quite accurate. It gives bit too little feedback from road surface but other than that it is very close to real car, lacks strength of course, but it is limitation of hardware I guess.

I did calculations of suspension travel here, it seems I need to reduce bit of travel as for front I got this for standard car:
    Bump 75mm
    Rebound 83mm

This Cup car is lowered 60mm just with shorter and stiffer springs, so it is 15mm bump travel and in theory 166mm rebound travel, but stiffer spring limits rebound to about half from that I believe, spring rate is more than double of original.

Original bumpstop will not fit to that 15mm gap, so it is bit crazy setup, imo. There is always bit of variance and such so I have been testing with 30mm bump travel, which is really little amount, but kind of works and might be which I go with.

Also I did already soften clutch a bit as it was bit too harsh.

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This is a very good mod for me:)I just hope that you can improve the graphics that seems a bit old!

20. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

this mod looks most promising to me, in every single aspect.
    how much have you invested? $10.000 , $50.000, $100.000?!?