[Virtua_LM] Official tracks' topic (last update: 06-14-2014)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Nugit [Virtua_LM], Jul 29, 2012.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks for this track guys :)

There's one suggestion I have, though.
    When you look at tracks by ISI you can see they consist of 600-900 GMT files. The only exception is Spa, which has just below 2000 GMT files, but this track is large, so you may say that "concentration" of GMT files is similar.

In case of Mid Ohio we have over 2000 GMT files and Sebring has over 4000 GMT files.

This is the main reason why these two tracks perform much worse on my system. Cutting track geometry into bunch of small objects will not optimize the track too much for GPU, but will greatly increase CPU demands.

I've made a test once with rF1. I've placed 1000 identical cubes in one GMT file. Rendering time was 0.2ms. Now I've put each cube in separate GMT file - rendering time was 4.2ms.

The reason for it is that GPU is typically capable of rendering a few thousand triangles by the time CPU can prepare next mesh for rendering.

As far as I remember, you had all energy posts in separate GMT files, even though they were concentrated in given areas. Another exampe would be tents in pitlane - despite being identical and standing nearby, they were placed in separate GMT files.

Rendering a mesh requires selecting shader, textures, setting material parameters, binding vertex arrays - all this takes time. While CPU is trying to do all that, GPU is starved.

Collision models are a different story. Game engine should optimize them while loading, but if it doesn't it's better to have collision models chopped into smaller pieces.
    But for rendering it's always better to merge objects and limit unnecessary CPU-GPU communication.

Just for a comparison - CryEngine 3 can render entire scene with like 400 "draw calls" - including all lighting, shadows and reflections.
    Now imagine that rFactor must render 1000 meshes separately, then again for shadows, then again for reflections.... There's no chance it's performance will be on par with other games in market this way.

I hope this makes sense to you guys :) And good timing - I was just looking for a track for some funrace in Nissans :)

2 people like this.
  2. Maug

Maug Registered

Thanks VLM people!

3. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Good track, but there is (as in Mid Ohio) something of strange in the light..
    In Croft for example, all the world is more vivid, more contrast of the sun.. here all the ambience is "flat".
    This effect is common in fact in Ohio too.

there is a system for "vitalizing" all the track world ?

Ciao Nik (also good work!)

4. ACSmall

ACSmall Registered

This is a Great Addon for the Whole World to enjoy!

Thank you All for the Fabulous work you do! :)

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

A lot of understeer with the 370Z in this track(i need some nice set-up)!

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

I think I know what you mean. Its hard to describe.

7. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Excelent trax in VLM´s high standard as usual, THANKS!
    Sebring is fantastic! Driving in the sunset makes me feel in Florida!

Here´s my basic 370Z setup for Sebring...wip, lol...

8. call-911

call-911 Registered

Thank you, VLM!

9. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Thanks for another great track, Sebring is very nice !!

[​IMG]

10. Nugit [Virtua_LM]

Nugit [Virtua_LM] Registered

@K Szczech
    Thank you for your detailed and clear explanation. You are definitely somebody who knows how graphics work ;)
    We'll discuss about that internally and do some new tests on our side too.
    I write "new tests" because we split all those objects on purpose to improve performance and our testing systems, our 2 tracks perform better than default ISI tracks (without comparing polygons count so the comparison is unfair). We did this choice on rFactor 1 because we clearly saw an improvement by doing that way but computer architecture has evolved (CPU are slower but multi-cores now). What was true in 2006 may be different in 2012.

Thank you very much for bringing that information to us.

11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you VLM for this great job on the best tracks for rF and rF2, going to test now !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  12. Vevex

Vevex Registered

Thank you very much for your fantastic job, as usual. :cool:

Big thanks to Monsum :)

13. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Sebring is amazing, looking so good! Interesting speaking about files handling in track development, looking forward to understand how it influence performances in rf2.

Keep pushin'! ;)

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It's a testament to how well you guys do your work that the same track converted for rF1, GTR2, GTL ad rF2 all look awesome. If you look at most ttracks that are converted they look progressively worse with each generation of sims. But VLM tracks don't and this is one reason why, when it comes to track modding, VLM is the best.

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I haven't driven these tracks yet, but I suspect he means the bumps, not elevation changes. In real life, Sebring is an insanely bumpy circuit. Drivers commonly get out of the car after long stints with blisters on the palms of their hands; in some cases they've even ruptured them and are bleeding. The newer paved areas aren't as bad, but the older concrete areas are still very bumpy. It's all part of the character of the place. :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Is the AIW at Sebring planned for improvements? Already noticed on the shortest layout (forget the name sorry) the AI dont overtake that much from the slipstream on the long back straight, it seems they sit in the slitpstream ala rF1 and dont make a proper attempt...or at least very occasionally.
    Looks great so far top work!

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

After having raced a number on times on different versions of Sebring, I have heard a lot of gripes about some versions being too rough. I understand that the track should have some character and there should be a bit of rough where they have patched the track, but I would imagine there would be a lot of gripeing if they made the track very rough as it is in real life.

BTW, I have driven the coarse, not raced, but driven and you are correct, even with a street car you can feel quite a bit of rough track.

18. VLM Sebring Rocks!!!;)

19. Magus

Magus Registered

Really enjoying Sebring

20. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

thanks guys - appreciate the tracks and your time you all put in