Rearview mirror, side real

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adri84dj, Jul 22, 2012.

1. adri84dj

adri84dj Registered

To make the simulation more realistic, I think it has something serious to improve the display by the side mirrors and interior parts of the vehicle as reflected, that is, when you look out the side mirrors look of your car. This has never been properly represented in rFactor. Hopefully in rFactor 2 make this improvement.

2. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, they're rubbish aren't they? IIRC the updated Grand Prix Legends had fantastic clear detailed mirrors. Dont think you could adjust them though. I've just discovered how to alter the interior mirrors physical position in RF2. Very useful for low FOV drivers. But the image displayed in the mirrors leaves a lot to be desired.

3. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Why not post that trick in the low FOV thread?? :)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

im pretty sure mirrors are adjustable, as well as graphics settings to edit what you want to be seen in the mirror (your car parts, no car parts, all car parts, fov of the mirror, angle of the mirror, etc etc). I know this was allllll adjustable in rF1 I havent looked into rF2 files, just been pretty much racing :)

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Mirrors can be adjusted in rF2 by using the shift, alt or ctrl key in conjunction with your mapped seat adjustment keys. In order to adjust side mirrors separately though, you have to change a setting in the plr file. Find this line: Rearview Independent="1" Make sure that the value is set to 1 to adjust side mirrors individually.

6. Fritzisbro

Fritzisbro Registered

The trouble is when you leave the game and return the mirrors need resetting again. What we could do with is a setting that remains on that particular vehicle once it's been adjusted.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That would be nice, something that modifies the setup of the car so that it stays with the car. Maybe a garage setting that would be permanent when you save your setup.

8. Alesi

Alesi Registered

good idea (in wish list!!)

9. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

In rFactor 1 I put a special MIRROR.bmp file into the vehicles directory to heavily increase the mirror resolution. I also increased the view distance of the mirror in the .plr file and its fine now with this awesome quality. BUT in rF2 I actually dont want to look into mirrors because of its uglyness :D Do not know any workaround for that.

10. adri84dj

adri84dj Registered

Hello again. For example, in other simulators, the mirrors are parts of the vehicle, as in this case.
    View attachment 3243

11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

They are too in rF2. You can additionally activate virtual mirrors ;)
    Here an example from the Clio Cup

EDIT: Ahh stop now I see what you mean :D Mirrors in rFactor are only like "cameras" outside the car.

12. adri84dj

adri84dj Registered

But in that mirror I not see the backs of the vehicle

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya u could have that aswell in rF1 through adjusting some lines in the plr

14. Zizza

Zizza Registered

same wish for me... ok for central mirror of c6r (in real behind the seat is closed), but for the other cars is very usefull!!

please ISI give us a real mirror who is possible to see a part of body

15. martymoose

martymoose Registered

There are some options you can change in RF2 PLR file regarding rearviews, first option is this one below. Take note mirror rendering seems to be a pretty big killer if your GPU is low on vram. Using my gtx480 sli setup disabling mirrors completly made a huge effect on frame rates but with my GTX titan I can do whatever I like with mirrors with no big performance hit.

Quite simple this one setting it as 1 has it default to whatever is allowed or culled within the car mod settings, set this to 0 and it will show everything the same as your front view.

This is the clipping distance in meters I assume for both front and rear planes on the mirrors. Adjust the rear to a higher number and it will draw further objects further away from the car. Not sure if this is independent of the first option or if you also need to set cull to "0" in order to have control over draw distance.

This will allow you to see the car in the rearview however it will not do anything in most mods as most cockpits dont actually draw the entire car only the front half. In order for the car to be visible the car mod cockpit view must have the entire car rendered when in cockpit.

Regarding resolution of mirrors this can only be changed with the mirror texture within the mods, creating your own mirror.bmp and putting it in the car folder no longer works as it did in RF1 so its up to modders to provide a higher res texture selectable in the car mods screen or you changing and repackaging the car. However it could be possible that a custom car skin may work in some way with a custom mirror image in the same way as some people are changing the windscreen textures in this thread. Though I havent tried this yet but someone can do and see if it works.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...dscreen-does-anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-it

16. Rinussie

Rinussie Registered

I tried this and it works just as you said.

17. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Old thread but I'm wondering if I can revive this. I'm trying to get an alternate virtual mirror resolution file to work in the GP79 mod as a skin. Unfortunately the tips suggested here have not worked, and I think it may do with the fact that the MIRROR.BMP file for this mod is not located in the specific vehicle MAS but rather in a "common" mas file for all of the cars [common_79.mas]. Any suggestions?

18. Arnao

Arnao Registered

Hi,

Maybe you should remove the one from common mas but you will have to open each cars mas to add the new mirror files in each...
    It's should be quicker than rezize all mirrors textures from 3D max...it worth the try but maybe you need all car in DEV files to test it.
    Please Ricklandia PM if you have some other questions or answers...

19. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Arnao, thank you for the suggestion. And also thank you for all the hard work you've put into getting the GP79 mod ported over to RF2. Our league is considering running GP79 as a season series, but some members are a bit dismayed at the virtual mirrors. Personally, I don't run a high res monitor [by todays standards] and my PC could use an injection of power so increasing the mirror res is not something I need. This is why I was hoping that this could be done as a "skin" option, allowing members to choose their own resolution. I did figure out how to remove the virtual mirror distortion but unfortunately it distorts the regular car mirrors in return. I suppose that can only be fixed in 3DMAX which I'm afraid is out of my league. If development of GP79 is stalled then I may take you up on your suggestion and create a version for our league's season.