Renault Clio v1.0 Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jul 12, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats what I remember, yes.

2. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I believe my father was there at the race that day.
    TV-commentators thought is was Purleys car, so did other drivers. That's why they didn't stop.

BTW: the last F1-race at Zandvoort was in 1985, 12 years later.

3. Chrester

Chrester Registered

I think the communications system brake down as well among the marshals and the rescue team that day. So the important information didnt get through :( Everything that could went bad that day did so :(

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Sorry for keeping this OT but I have to ask... why would`nt they have stopped for Purley?

Ahh... they thought it was his car burning but could see he was out of the car so therefor no need to stop?

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I have`nt got much time for Bernie if I`m being honest, not now anyway but if he helped the safety be what it is today then that`s got to be commended.

I certainly know Jackie Stewart played a massive role in bringing the safety we have today into F1 and as you say, was ridiculed for it which is sad but I suppose it was a sign of the times back then.

6. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Yes, even Race Control believed the driver (Purley) was out of the car.
    From wikipedia:
    There was only a local yellow flag, the race continued. It was only lap 7 of 72.
    The firetruck was on his way around the track, but this took 8 minutes. It was driving very slow because of the ongoing race and they wound't risk driving in the opposite direction.
    A blanket was thrown over the burnt-out wreck with Williamson still inside, and the race carried on...

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right...

Very sad as I`ve said... almost seems like Williamson was destined to not survive this race.

Thanks for clearing that up Lenniepen.

8. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

The marshals were told not to help by the organisers; they were volunteers who were there to clear wreckage, wave flags, etc. They were told not to endanger their lives. With a fire that intense, there was nothing they could have done, anyways. People always seem to condemn the marshals in events like this; there is nothing they could have done. They were not provided with the proper equipment, no one was back then. That was the sport, and it was a long bloody road to changing the mindset.

Actually, this was the first race at the track after a massive safety upgrade. It was hailed as one of the safest circuits in the world at the time, IIRC. Of course, there was still a long way to go before you could call any racing 'safe,' (many argue you still can't) but in contrast to most of the other circuits of the period it was miles ahead.

I know you could say this about everyone killed as a result of motorsports, but Ronnie's death, in my mind, sticks out as one of the most needless, senseless of all. If I'm not mistaking him for someone else, he died because too much bone marrow seeped into his bloodstream, poisoning him. In the accident he severely broke both legs, and was lifted from the car by another driver, and laid on the road while the crews tended to someone else who was trapped in their car. Ronnie was left without treatment, in agony, on the road for some half hour or so before he was even put in an ambulance. Left without treatment for far too long. He died of broken bones. How insane is that?

I know Jackie was the first, and biggest proponent for safety increase in Motorsport, but Purley and him had bad blood after this accident. While Purley was trying desperately to save his friend, everyone else just raced past; including Jackie. I don't think Purley ever forgave him for that.

Of course, Jackie, like most others, probably thought that it was Purley's car on fire and figured he had got out.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

My countrys commentator, realised from the start that it was Williamson under that car, so it was a torturous wait, waiting for someone help Purley to overturn the burning car. Seconds were ticking slowly, marshalls were unwilling, so Purley tried in vain to stop other drivers to help.

Probably the others thought it was Purleys car, as Williamson drove a March too.

That explains a lot, I didnt thought of it like that till now.

10. MJP

MJP Registered

Been playing about a bit (as you do lol) and come across a couple of tidbits of info I've not seen mentioned before. The Clio leaked beta contained the Malaysia South Loop and the v1.3 of Mills in the official v1.0 Clio release is entirely standalone.

11. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

How on earth did this thread go in such a direction? :confused:

I did not follow the whole thread, but why did you pick this guys accident? There are so many horrible racing accidents. Too many if you ask me. So why this guy?

Someone earlier in this thread said he burned screaming. I don't think this is true. In order to scream you need to inhale first and you can imagine what that does to your vocal cords and lungs when surrounded by flames.

This topic really turned into something sad and I feel bad to have dug it up again.

12. coops

coops Banned

ISI keep up the great work there is not 1 mod yet that i have not liked i do enjoy the 60s, isi formula masters, and the CLIO kicks butt cant wait for your next release and update

13. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I'd like to know how these cars are supposed to be driven.. I see there's a sequential shifter. Is the clutch only to get moving when you are standing still, or do the drivers need to use the clutch in every shift? Or is it only for downshifting?

14. Jux

Jux Registered

I would like to know that for every car. The gear shifting should operate in rF2 accordingly, so that if clutch is not fully pressed, the gear shifting fails and car explodes or something.

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

As I understand, seq shifters are semi-auto, so you shouldnt need clutch to change. I really dont know what happens at getting off, automatics can idle without clutch, I remember tuttle said his F3 Dallara has only two pedals.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4905-TOP-GEAR-DUNSFOLD-AERODROME-(Multi-Layout)/page11

Id really like someone who knows to elaborate on this.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_transmission

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Confussion for me continues.
    You CAN change clutchless in bikes, but you dont usually do and that is a Sequential Manual Transmition, sure.
    Can someone confirm that seq at Clio is the same type?
    I am at the impression that seq in Clio, modern F3 and Rally cars are automatic transmitions that dont require clutch AT ALL, like paddles in F1. I remember that, while Focus had hand lever, Peugeot had paddles, but I thought it was the same kind of gearbox, semi-auto.

18. TechAde

TechAde Registered

The Clio Cup has a "Sadev 6 speed sequential , Flat Shift ( Full Throttle ) Dog Engagement" gearbox, so no need to even lift on shifts in the real car.

19. Jos

Jos Registered

what about blips?

20. BYF

BYF Registered

After driving the Clio around Malaysia North Loop the car is rather easy to roll over if you clip kerbs, the AI have bigger problems they often roll at turn 2 and the last corner even without touching a kerb.