Is there a simple step by step guide for hosting a server?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Adrianstealth, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all

I've tried everything and still cannot host a server

I am on virgin media boardband thus do not have a static ip -does this mean it's impossible?
    (virgin media do not give out static ip address's)

I have disabled my windows firewall, opened the relevant ports ( for rf1 / rf2 ) etc

My server shows on the multiplayer list but no one else can join

Any help apprecated

2. Slothman

Slothman Registered

What are the mismatch errors?

Are they mismatch errors?

Can they see the join button??

Are you using the supplied ISI content mods to eliminate the fact it is a vMOD issue? ie Just try hosting with say, the stock Megane MOD by ISI.

Just some questions to help identify the issue.

3. Neuro

Neuro Registered

Are you behind a router? If you are, you not only need to open those ports on firewall but forward them on the router. Until then, everyone can see your server but no one can join.

4. rer8

rer8 Registered

This may have been addressed before, but may I recommend that you go to this site. Take a few minutes to read the explanation of what port forwarding is and how to set up your own "static ip." I just went to the web site and this is a current address for this excellent site: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

I first learned of this method a few years ago while using rF1, and continue to set up my computers with a "static ip." Good luck in your efforts.

RR

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Big thanks for the responses

Yes I opened all the ports, turned off windows firewall, just using ISI formula masters on sepang

My server shows up on list but no one can join,

I am using a dynamic ip ( my Internet provider dosnt give out static ip's ) I'm starting to suspect this is the problem?

I feel ive tried everything but I could be wrong

Rer8 I'll take a look at your link

Gosh you'd think it would be easy but it's such a pain

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Rer8

I just read it, this is to setup assuming your on a dynamic ip right?

It works for you whilst your on a dynamic address does it ?

Sorry if I sound kind of thick

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Adrian....port forwarding is dependant on the LAN IP situation more so than the external WAN. Dynamic WAN IP's dont usually get reset mid session and if the server shows on the list...that is enough to know the data should be reaching you.

The internal IP is more important so that data can be sent to the correct PC.

Think of it this way...

The data comes from the net, hits your router and goes...right what do you want me to do.

If the router says...right send this information to xxx.xxx.xxx.123 thats what it will try

However if your internal LAN gets a dynamic assigned IP (DHCP) and the "server" changes numbers....how does the router know to send it there???

If they are seeing the server but cannot join a couple of things.

- Make sure the internal LAN network is configured properly.
    - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS NEXT BIT. You could set your router up to be in the DMZ zone (some routers do it) this pretty much lets anything through.....DO IT AS A TEST...than disable it :)

If by putting in DMZ it all works fine...double check your port forwarding rules and make sure the right ports are open and pointing to the right PC.

Sorry to "simplify" this...not sure on your level of knowledge...so start from the bottom and work up.

Note: Just had a quick look at the link. That is how to setup static IP for a PC on your network and is what you may need. Dynamic/Static from your ISP will not be effected by doing what is in the link :)

If you need some help...PM me :)

8. Pits

Pits Registered

All else fails pm and I'll set it up for you using my teamviewer, it took a little while to set ours up but not very hard, around 20 minutes.

9. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

a definitive list of ports to open would help

10. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

is this something others use ?

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

The idea here is to eliminate the dynamic address. It has absolutely nothing to do with your isp providing anything to you other than your standard service. If you are behind a router you will need to open the appropriate ports for the game in your firewall and then to allow the router to "talk" I have found it necessary to use a "static ip" and to port forward. Give it a shot. I think you will find it very useful. One more thing, you can find the ports that need to be opened / forwarded in the multiplayer.ini file. Good luck.

RR

12. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

i use these, DMZ disabled, exception in my Windows Firewall / Norton Firewall for rf2 / dedicated server & people connected to me
    click twice for full size

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Brill,

I'm going to have another go at this, the sadness had sapped my will after fiddling for hours trying to get it to work,
    But lots of help thankyou, I'll reset everything and start from a fresh

I'm also using home plugs for my network (plug into house mains to get to my router ) I'll bypass these to test next time

Will give a go this weekend eeekk !

14. Dan AccretionRacing

Dan AccretionRacing Registered

look in the Multiplayer.ini all ports are listed there