Fanatec Clubsport Wheel Review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SKeijmel, Jun 29, 2012.

1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Nice review Mclaren. No strange American accent. haha. Anyways, you don't find the bmw rim too heavy?

2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

It's often said that people from my area (the Pacific Northwest) don't have any sort of American accent. :)

And I didn't find the BMW rim to be too heavy. It definitely doesn't feel as "alive" as the Formula rim, but I found it totally manageable even in games that require quick reactions like Richard Burns Rally.

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

You sound like a young person with an old mans voice , your intonation ,stress and pacing is of a 65 yr old but with the tone and vitality of a 18 yr old.

Good review !

Some questions :) ( all in regards to the F1 wheel with the base)

Did you film it with a cannon 550/600D ?

Did the wheel make RF2 feel more playable and intuitive to you ?

With NKP did it have a large impact on the feel of the game ?

Do you think the wheel after getting used to it would have a positive effect on your lap times ?

Seems to me the G25/G27 for NKP at least is more than enough for raw lap times but the g25 peddles pail in comparison to the club sports , having the ability to "stamp" on the brake rather than gradually modulate its tilt, should have a massive impact with faster cars and laptime.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

1. Yes, my video review was filmed with a 550D. Good eye. :)

2. I don't think it massively improved rF2, though it did allow me to focus solely on my driving. The horrible curb rattle in my G27 causes me to intentionally not use all of the road because I hate how it sounds/feels. With the Fanatec hardware, I was able to just drive without worrying about such things.

3. Yes. NKP felt better than I've ever experienced. Those two clips near the end of the review (7:44-8:28) are 1/2 of one lap of Crema with both the CSW and the G27. It was much easier to catch slides with the quicker CSW and the braking experience was significantly better with the Fanatec pedals. NKP was the biggest improvement of any game I played during this test. Everything just felt perfect.

4. It fluctuates game to game. I spend most of my time in rF2 and my lap times didn't improve with the CSW even given the added "carelessness" of being able to use the curbs. Same goes for RBR – no meaningful improvement. But NKP definitely felt better and I'm sure this hardware allowed me to shave 0.5 seconds from my quickest G27 laps.

5. Thomas

Thomas Registered

Hey,

very interesting discussion here...
    I have a T500RS with the F1 Rim directly next to me, so i could do these measurements you're looking for. Im not very used to that stuff, so you have to tell me how. Wich tool do i need?

Im interested in the results, too. I bought the wheel a week ago and still cant get really used to it. I allways thought that the weel felt a bit odd in this "tiny twitchy movements" you were discribing compared to my g27. Im just not able to drive as accurate, when it comes to these fast, tiny correction you have to made to be fast. So maybe the F1-Rim had the same issues like the GT-Rim with the slower acceleration after direction change... i dunno, have to test it.

But when the CSW should be really that much better in this area i think i will sell the t500, when the CSW is available... Its an important, if not the most important aspect in racing, because there are the smallest corrections that make you fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I'm not sure what its called OP should have it , Its some place on-line but my Google skills are failing me.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It's on the iRacing forums, so only accessible to iRacing members, or those that know them.

Luckily they're having a three for one month deal at the moment, so I took the plunge, mainly just for this program. =)

EDIT: I also gave a shot at it with my old G25. The reaction times, time it takes to turn etc. are all pretty much exactly like in the test figures already seen, but apparently mine has less internal resistance, because it bounced off the wall like the CSR-E. =)

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Try that program all you want but unless you can write a plugin to get rF2 working with ATLAS it's going to work with iR only. ;)

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The iRacing Clipping tool is totally separate from the FFB test program. FFB test program has no need for iRacing. I know, because I tried it before I had gotten around to actually installing iRacing (I was more interested in the test program than the game ;) ).

It's a simple program, automatically exports a CSV log which is easily opened in OpenOffice or Excel and you can very easily make a graph out of the results and compare different wheels.

EDIT: Sorry for this bit of off-topic, but I'll post it anyway: The tool is pretty nifty, and while there may be differences in individual wheels, the results should be relatively comparable no matter who runs the tests, assuming their computer isn't so low powered it'd mess something up (highly unlikely). For reference here are the results for my many many years old and heavily used G25, compared to the data gathered from a newer specimen and the T500 RS, both of which were in the database. As you can see, my wheel more or less matches the new one in every area, but seems to have less internal resistance after the forces stop, bouncing from the limiter.

[​IMG]

Pro-tip: Right click and open the picture for full-size.

Great software, they really should release this to the general public.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  11. SKeijmel

SKeijmel Registered

MAX FFB 100% 50% 25 % test
    and yes the wheel is real smooth and 25% strenth is enaf to have good feedback.

bmw rim video

12. SKeijmel

SKeijmel Registered

fanaleds on bmw and formula rim

get the plugin here http://fanaleds.idrift.nl/

13. Bose321

Bose321 Registered

Fellow racers,

To further improve the quality and feature list of Fanaleds we would like some feedback.

We've made a form for you to fill in to get an image of what's important and what's not.

Please fill in the form: http://bit.ly/NyQVHW

14. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I got my CSW with GT2 and Formula rims this week and have to say I'm blown away!! The amount of FF in comparison to my Fanatec GT2/GT3RS is incredible, feel so much more through the wheel and super smooth and quiet, very happy :) Thanks to Feel3's release of Croft I'm back on RF2 again, timed perfectly mate! (Sorry about sim in screenshot lol)

[​IMG]

15. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Argh....
    I wish i had so much money as you guys :(

16. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Try working harder. :p

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol you're not secretly Mitt Romney are ya? :p

18. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Tried that , don't help , you still get paided the same . Lifes so unfair sob , now I depressed .:(

;)

19. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Hmmm excellent information on the wheel, but of course you're not really serious unless you have a full face helmet on.
    Just saying ;)

20. tempest

tempest Registered

i m a f1 fan and i d like to wait for the real replica of a f1 rim from fanatec!!!does anybody know when it will come out???/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012