GTR2 is better

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Gary Corby, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

I played my old copy of Simbin's GTR2 the other day. It's a five year old game.

GTR2 has far better force feedback than rF2. So much so that I honestly think ISI should abandon its attempt to make this FFB work and revert to something like the Simbin code.

GTR2 has better graphics performance. By a factor of approximately five.

rF2 has better graphics images. Barely.

GTR2 feels like a car. I can feel the back end when it moves. It feels alive. rF2 feels like software. I have little idea what the car's doing.

ISI is struggling, and failing, to achieve the same levels as a five year old game. I very strongly recommend that ISI not even think about doing another release until they have something that at least matches the level of a five year old game.

No doubt people will jump on and say, "It's still a beta." Well, yes, that washed for the first couple of releases. It doesn't explain why, since build 60, every release has been progressively worse.

Other people will say, if I like GTR2 that much better, why don't I just go away and play that? Well, yes. That's exactly what I'm doing. It's very disappointing.

2. Maug

Maug Registered

Lol... Are you high on crack?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

@Gary Corby

You made my day :D

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Well first off yeh, I would say that your comparing a 5 year old game with a sim that`s in beta stage, whether you think it`s going too slowly or not, it`s still in beta afaik so not a comparison that can be made imo.

To be fair it`s a while since I`ve driven Gtr2 but from what I remember I don`t think it has better ffb at all... rf2`s ffb and physics are pretty damn good imo and because it`s beta (yip, that word again) then I only expect it all to improve anyway...

How can you say ISI are struggling? I don`t really see them struggling in any way at all...

If you come back when rf2 is finished and released then maybe you could compare it to a fully finished, well established game like Gtr2 but not until then imo.

Not a comparison that can be made just now imo.

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Funny guy

6. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I think no-one will even reply on your post like that at all.
    Luckily, everyone may post their opinion, and that's something that I accept, but I do not take you seriously though. Have fun playing GTR2

7. CraigT

CraigT Registered

Enjoy your time with GTR2 Richard...

8. Pits

Pits Registered

Gary, I completely respect your comments and views on this, to a degree.

The feel in GTR2 of the vehicles was very good as you say and up to 2 weeks ago I'd just say "yes" and move on but there's a but here now.

I challenge you to do the F3 and up at Spa and then honestly still keep the same thoughts. There's a lot of dynamics happening now that are very good, infact there's a consistency in the lap per lap driving that even the great GTR2 just didn't have.

Just look at the road and tell me it isn't far better than GTR2, feel the car slip from a rear wheel drift to a full controlled drift and tell me it doesn't make the heart rise a few notches, I could go on but I'd be up to fan-boy status and loose my points. When I race it I don't think "beta" at all, beta to me just makes me think it's not good enough to drive, we drive it.

Moving forward is good.

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

"No doubt people will jump on and say, "It's still a beta." Well, yes, that washed for the first couple of releases."

Sooo... if it's an orange, then it would really be more truthful if you called it an apple?????

1 person likes this.
  10. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

It is very disappointing to read nonsense as you have written. Do you really mean it?

11. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Maybe it's still a beta but FFB in RF2 is already better than GTR2. I know that because have GTR2 too (I've since it came out).
    Try to see your FFB setting in RF2 because it's anormal that you couldn't see the difference.

What's your steering whell ?

12. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

bye bye:cool:

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Perhaps someone should note that GTR2 uses the same physics and graphics engine rfactor 1 uses :)

I had a great time with GTR2 driving Murcielago with keyboard and mouse. Switched to Saleen when I got myself a wheel and had even more great time - mostly with guys from Germany ( greetings to all ASD drivers :) ) and Italy.

I didn't find GTR2 to be much different from rFactor except for FFB. And of course rFactor 2 is superior in terms of physics and graphics to rF1. It's just unfinished yet.

As for performance - why not compare GTR2 performance with GLQuake performance? :) It's a 15 year old game and it performs even better than GTR2 ;) Just kidding of course.

When compared to 1 year old game, called Skyrim, rFactor 2 performs 2-3 times better on my machine.

Of course everyone has the right for his own opinion, but I can hardly agree wiyh you, Gary. Do some research on tyre model in rFactor 2, real road, dynamic weather and you will start so see just how much gap there is between GTR2 and rFactor 2.

And as for graphics.... well, don't get me started ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I think 99.9999% would disagree. :)

15. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I'm usually not into saying something like this, but I can't take the OP seriously.
    But, I was smiling while reading. Had a good laugh. :)

16. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

The same expression you have in your avatar picture is what I have when I read the post ;)

17. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

Hmmm..

I guess it all depends on one's equipment.

To me GTR2(and to some extent GTR) feels completely like I'm driving an understeering cow, I never feel the backend, much like rF1. Which is based on the same code if I'm not mistaken. Currently I have a Logitech Momo Racing-wheel(the black one), and with rF2 I feel all four corners seperatly, giving me total control and understanding of the vehicle I'm driving.

Graphics-wise I can agree, but only to a certain point, mod's and extras to GTR2 is nowhere near the basic content of the game, thus GTR2 is a great game but only if you use the original content. rF2 is better in that it may not be better purely graphical but the way it represents the dynamic way of racing makes it better.

The way you express yourself it's good luck that ISI doesn't force you with a gun to play rF2. Keep racing GTR2 and the sun will shine in your life.

"C'est la vie"

18. MJP

MJP Registered

19. racechicken

racechicken Registered

Where the hell is the "like" button if needed. :D

1 person likes this.
  20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

lololol