Botniaring BETA

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Jka, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yep, that is a AIW problem (which was not fixed on latest build). I'm working on decent AIW's on all layouts and they will be included on next update.

Thank you HarryCS. :) Actual problem is, that track have two types of trees which reflect light differently. Backround trees are "wall type" planes. Foreground trees are stamp vertex type turning billboards. This leads to a lightning problem, as stamp vertex trees reflect light all the time different angle than "wall type" backround trees. Problem is very notable with low sun angles.

I have already tried several methods (including pointy normals) to reduce problem, but I'm not satisfied any result yet. This is a problem which needs to be addressed one way or another, but rF2 gfx engine will most likely change again on next build so I'm not waiste valuable modelling time (= my free time) to this problem yet. ;)

Cheers!

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Pointy normals is the old way and it wont fit with rf2. By all means you can do it, but you would end up with a nice dynamic everything and bright glowing trees, especially when its overcast it would look way out of place. But as for rf1, yes it works for a nice sunny static environment.

3. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thanks for the update, I'll test it right now ! :)

::EDIT::
    Unfortunately, I copy/paste my last comments, no change for me :confused:
    Offline - Practice :
    Club: AI cars turn crazy in pits ; AI run on oval layout. TrackMap plugin shows the oval layout (I've updated track files)
    Full : Crash while joining
    Oval: Crash while joining

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Hi Mydriaz.

There is several AIW problems on this track, which causes these problems. I didn't update AIW's at all on this update. I'm rebuilding all AIW files at the moment and they will be included on next update.

Cheers!

5. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

I am not sure it is an ISI problem or an Botniaring problem - the sighnboards in the background pop off but only in cockpit view.

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

It's my problem, not ISI's. :) I've set up too short drawing distance on those billboards, which cause this popup.

Update has been little bit delayed, but I have good excuse. I'm at Botniaring (on site) at the moment. Yesterday I had a change to drive around the track with civil car and I photographed very carefully few missed point of scenery. I also found out that all cambers and elevations are spot on, which I'm very pleased about. GPS data is surprisingly accurate...

I will get back home tomorrow and start working with new update right away.

Cheers!

7. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Jka its the same problem in Malaysia. I think its a ISI problem. I add this bug to my bug list thread:
    Bug thread

1 person likes this.
  8. ethone

ethone Registered

Those adboards popping up can easily be changed. I didn't notice them much at Sepang but just because ISI made the same error or choice (ISI tracks are fairly aggresive in their LODing) doesn't mean Jka can't fix it himself for Botniaring. :)

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

If I may suggest, put those billboards into one GMT object.
    Grouping few objects with the same material into one GMT object can improve performance.

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Good point, feels3. When I start optimize the track, several other objects will get same "treatment". There are many similar objects on scene like those billboards.

Cheers!

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

New version is available. I've edited first post for download link and changelog.

Cheers!

12. ethone

ethone Registered

13. daWave

daWave Registered

Just wanted to say thank you for this nice track, really great to drive (such a nice flow), appreciate your hard work !

If you could only get some sweeter trees in there and a lighter track surface (dont know about real race track, but i prefer it lighter tho ;)) it would be even more fun to drive/watch... just my 2 cents, respect and keep it goin' !

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Getting better every new version. Good going!

15. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

A great step forward for me. I can race the 3 layouts :)
    Nice light and shadow.
    Keep on going !

16. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Jka - I installed the track for the first time today and have not tried previous versions so can't comment on previous versions. I love the track and layout, lighting looks nice here also, track seems to look good with most types of lighting. I know i sound like a broken record and a hippy obsessed with trees but are these final these trees? They just don't work for me mate tbh, really spoil a graphically decent looking track.

I hope you take that as intended (constructive criticism) and not as me picking at your track as overall it feels nice graphically i think. Is it not possible to incorporate the trees that ISI use? Actually saying that trees must change throughout the world and all look different at different tracks so maybe that would not work if you are going for track realism.

Anyway that's the only thing i can pick it really, like it. Not used it enough to report any bugs etc

17. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Tree textures are still placeholders (they actually are ISI trees...). I will update track area Pines on some point before V1.0, but not yet ;-)

I photographed hundreds of photos from track area last weekend, which I havent yet sorted out. Many, many textures will be replaced on final version.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  18. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Excellent news! :)

19. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:)

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Nice to see this track getting into rF2 :)