Build 90 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

Didn't read all the postings but coming from LFS the update rate and developer communication here is absolutely outstanding. Thank you ISI!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Replays aren't working in any fully supported way either graphically or through features yet. There have been some changes in recent testing though (increasing the movement detail, etc), so someone is making changes gradually.

3. 88mphTim

And it will continue to be, but most of the time when someone puts a video of a mod or something on Youtube, the comments are all "what game is this?" Licensed content allows us to post videos of something people are more likely to find (who is searching youtube for "formula isi"), plainly showing what product it is.

I actually want to setup an affiliate system eventually, whereby you guys can refer people, and if they purchase, you get something for doing so (that makes it worthwhile). But as we say, rF2 isn't at that push-push-push for sales point yet. :)

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I believe he wasn't talking about replay fidelity :)

Car looks the same, only you don't look at it while driving, since you're in cockpit.

But the whole graphics issue is a matter of perspective.

I can see one shader has updated reflection code, while others are left with old / even older code (depends which one). There are two shaders supporting AO maps, while others do not and therefore we don't see AO maps on current tracks by ISI.

I can understand that - you're working on some feature and one shader is all that you need to test it. For a modder, even one updated shader may indicate upcoming changes, but for end user you would have to update more shaders with new features and then provide updated content.
    And of course new features are prone to frequent changes. ISI would probably end up updating content more than once, just to let us see some new features in action, while in fact this wouldn't be bringing us closer to gold release.

So when people ask about why graphics is not on par with, let's say pCARS - ISI's answer will be: It's WIP.
    And it's true, but people will still look at pCARS and say - hey, it's WIP too but it looks better.

But the thing is - pCARS got their graphics to certain point before showing first materials while leaving physics behind. Some graphics features are now added (time of day, clouds etc.) but you don't see any change in the way cars or tracks look. They don't have to update content because they focused on graphics first and got it to some point before first release.
    If you reverse the comparison - you could keep asking pCARS developers why physics is behind rF2. They'll answer it's WIP :)

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You forgot to say, that improvements in gfx department require updating of all content while updates in physics - mostly not.
    In other words, a way how rf2 is developed is not optimized well from this point of view.
    One can can say that physics is more important, as a base for simulation etc. But rebuilding/improving/remapping content will cost a lot of unneeded work. Good news is that ISI must not care about modders work-time. Or maybe it's bad news...

PS. Note that pCARS is in alpha stage while rF2 in beta one ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  6. 88mphTim

Ah yes, understood. Yes, if you're taking screenshots or want to check something(at the moment) you do need to do it while driving (just select another camera while paused perhaps). Unfortunately the replay functionality won't show you what the driving view will - yet. :)

I am quite pleased that we did things the way we did now. As someone who doesn't code, but is observing, the physics seem to be the harder part. Glad they were tackled (not yet completely) first.

7. THracing

THracing Registered

After some time without sim racing I decided to give rF2 a second try. Installed the Brab and spent time to get into the game again. The Brab is absolutely awesome! The car is nervous, unforgiving and absolutely wonderful. I love this car! What a joy it would be to eventually being able to pit all the old classics whichever the name they would have had. Murosama anyone?

I actually won at Mexico in a league race with the BRM eon's ago and really enjoy the "seat of the pants" feeling in this sim which is unique. So when the cars of the 60´s are done, how about the Squalos, the Connaughts, Vanwalls, Maseratis and Cooper Climax! The future´s so bright, we gotta wear shades :)

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  8. pkracing

pkracing Registered

Hi, I'm a newbie here. How and where do I find the latest download of rFactor2? Would really apprciate your help! Cheers

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

1 person likes this.
  10. pkracing

pkracing Registered

Yeah I saw that one, just thought it wouldn't be the lated version. Thanks so much! :)

11. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

Agree 120% and after thet Mr. Wheatley ban people when he dont like comments..... nice!!! ISI need to find someone capable to handle this kind if situations.....

12. 88mphTim

Goat neither understood the way the product was released (his entire platform, therefore, was incorrect), nor could discuss his needs in an adult manner at that time. From your post, it seems like you believe that people are banned regularly. I actually think it has been under five people in TEMPORARY bans since 2010, most of those bans being for just a couple of weeks and used mainly to adjust the language and attitude, not the type of comment. Goat was temporarily banned after he used vulgar language. I don't want to read that, and I don't want other members to have to read it.

This type of banning, is actually those issues being dealt with. I don't actually believe there are many people around who could read some of the things on forums, and remain as calm as I do. You, for example, just told the entire world that ISI should fire me, basically, how would you feel reading that? I'm here, reading it, because someone reported your post. It's a national holiday here, and I'm going to get back to my family now.

The rules of this forum are really quite simple. You can make any comment (preferably with information, or it'll often come across as trolling) you want, but the language, the vulgarity, the swearing, etc, is never going to be acceptable. If you do not like that, you will have to visit another forum.

Have a nice day.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.