Audi R18 [in progress]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by tommy86, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well, it's the same..no matter what platform you're using. A subdivision is a subdivision...:) You can get subdivision with or without smoothing (nurbs/quads/HN etc..), is pretty the same for every 3D platform.

BTW, as already said, before proceeding with other cuts, I think you can work to delete a lot of useless cuts/edges. More useless cuts you've, more inefficient the mesh and more difficult will be a final correction, when the model is full of detail, bodycuts, extrusions etc...

Look at the sharkfin; This surface should be vertically flat...and horizontally linear, so you could solve it with few polys... At the contrary with all those polys you've a non-linear surface, with useless curves on the top side..and a lot of useless polygons. There is no need to subdivide a linear and flat surface...:)

I'm just trying to help btw...I don't want to bother you too much, but these are things already said a lot of times...:)

Perfect example...:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  2. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

It's not bothering, don't worry, it's helpful :)

I fixed it a bit :

View attachment 2998

so, for example, I'll make an extra edges loop around the front/rear wheel to make a small radius chamfer corner, right?

3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Here you go, I did this quickly to show you, you see the edges and how the poly's are used to sharpen the corners?

Attached Files:

4. Tuttle

Check the shark fin top side. In the real deal is flat and 100% linear. No changes in the line from the start to the end. Talking about this;

[​IMG]

Yep. For the game engine we've to use as much as possible smoothing groups instead real cut subdivisions. You can create a smooth angle/corner with just few cuts, letting the smoothing group angle the rest of the job..:)

5. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Ye, i see it. I thought those extra edges can be avoid using smoothing groups. So it's better to add them and then using 2 non consecutive SM to have an hard corner?

6. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Oh you're referring to this part :D i thought you were talking about the small sharkfin near the front wheel. That one is flat now and I think it's ok. i'm gonna flat the up one too ;)

Thanks for screen eheh

7. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Just one thing Tommy, before you export Your modell the car bottom need to be on the "ground" not the wheels.

8. Tuttle

Look at the mianiak example. Explain perfectly how to achieve the correct result with a handful of polys...:)

9. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Export is far from here, but thanks for this tip :)

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Excatly what I suggest in my tutorial aswell :) (for those who missed it, it's here).

By the way - It's a shame programs like 3D Studio and Blender don't have any proper algorithms to generate normal vectors.
    When we design geometry, we do it with some shape in mind and normal vectors should describe that shape aswell. We usually have only two words of describing what we had in mind to our modelling software: "flat" and "smooth".

For my own purposes, I have written my own algorightms:
    "flat"
    "equal" = unweighted average (so that's ordinary "smooth")
    "size" = weighted average based on polygon size
    "field" = weighted average based on polygon field
    "greater" = normal vectors always follow bigger polygon
    And of course there's a maximum smoothing angle.

Unfortunately these can't be used for rFactor modding in current state. Perhaps some day when I get to create some tools for rF2, but it would be even better to see such options in GMT exporter, woudn't it? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

K Szczech ISI should hired you, and rf2 became a great one game

12. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Do you think the mesh is clean enough for now?

View attachment 3016

Thanks for all tips above, really helpful :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  13. DeM

DeM Registered

Good work on the models so far, how many polys do you forsee the finished Model being

DeM

14. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I'm so out of my depth here :) schematics and blueprints and hightech models make me feel stupid but it's cool that you guys are enjoying it, rather than you being a bunch of unhappy drones at EA or activision slaving away at ****ty games for a ****ty company for ****ty pay, you guys have my respect.

it does look like a really cool car, I youtubed the car and holy cow I want it now.

15. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

I think something like 60/70k tris maximum ;)

16. Tuttle

I'm pushing for 120/140K tris for the entire max lod car (everything for exterior/interiors)...When I turn down the high detailed cockpit stuff and brakes/calipers/differential I get a 70k car with max lods. Actually I do not have any problem even putting 10/15 cars without low res lodding on the track...so I think we can push a little bit working more on the lodding side. :)

Tested on both HD6870 and 6970...(considering actual ATIs drivers sucks for rF2 I'm pretty satisfied..)

PS: of course we've to think at liveries and other car textures...but I'm confident there is a good range for optimization.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  17. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

I've made a global triangulate to check total tris, and now I'm at 30k (only exterior + wheels). The mesh look like these now.

View attachment 3024

18. Tuttle

Yeah. 30k just for the bodycar and tires sounds good...but you've to model a lot of stuff for interiors, suspensions, rollbars, diffuser, bottom of the car, wipers, pitot tubes, bolts, etc etc...so for now you're on the right way and I think you'll get more than 60K for a complex car like that Audi...

19. Tuttle

Just a little doubt; are you sure 30K for the entire simmetry? Seems you've very high detailed rims and in 3ds max you have to fight a little bit with modifiers to get the correct viewport simmetry polycount... BTW I don't know how lightwave works with simmetry polycount..:)

20. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

mmh i think it's right because there isn't modifiers and it's simple geometry mirror so it's pretty accurate ;)