Senna 88 and Formula V6 BETA mod

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Marco Bijl, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh this is something that the community needs to get behind.

Forget legallity, forget what people "think" is legal/illegal.

It comes down to a couple of simple items.

- Respect
    - Ethics

Respect for the people who created the content. Regardless if you believe that "its yours to do what you want with". Fact is someone else created it. At least give them the respect to ask for permission to use their content. If denied, give them the respect to keep "in house" and not release to the public.

Ethics to understand the above and to do the right thing.

BUT on the other side of that content creators also have to be prepared to give permission if asked and accept that credit on loading screens/readmes is sufficient. There is no point people getting all offended if noone asks if there is no chance of it being accepted either.

Its a two way street. People need to ask, and people need to be prepared to give permission.

Removing all thoughts of legallity aside it will take a push from the community as a whole to change their perceptions on this topic.

And before people start pointing fingers....yes I have used content after being denied permission but it was used STRICTLY in house for our league and circulated face to face with strict instructions to not share. I am not saying that is 100% correct but it was never released and even in the readme still credited the original creator just in case it got leaked. Thought I would post that there if I am going to post the stuff above it.

Personal opinions only in this post.

1 person likes this.
  2. ROON

ROON Registered

I'm in agreement with the ever wise Slothman. To my knowledge, the only way to acquire this mod is to download it via the server browser 'get mod' feature, correct? Earlier today I was pondering whether who ever created this mod really intended for it to go public. After all, even ISI got caught out and had their Clio test downloaded before it was supposed to be.

I too have been in leagues where we've made use of other peoples content to compile our own series, most of the time without asking permission. But they were absolutely private, and made available to our league members only and no one else. Of course in the rF1 days it was easier to control who would and who wouldn't receive the files.

It's a shame that the chaps who made the Senna 88 mod aren't interested in doing the morally correct thing of giving credit to F1SR for their sounds, or apologising for using them. But I'd also like to think that perhaps they never intended for this to go public, and for any redistribution of another teams intellectual property.

3. chappielike2009

chappielike2009 Registered

From what i see kenz247 made this mod there is credits in game to f1sr sounds but some of you dont no because you never payed for rfactor2.

Michael1 has nothing to do with this car apart from running it on his server he only has the F1 BMW and some Drift car what are both old ISI cars from the sim scrap yard the rest are mods by others.

as for the sfx its hard to tell if they are direct from f1sr but they are now in rf2 format so they might be technically different rerecorded or something like that mabe they can show there licence for the sounds not sure only an idea because i think no licence your chasing a dead fish.

And i would like to point out this mod was posted by racedepartment and not by Michael1 or any of his Friends because they will give credits.

You buy rf2 for modding you use anything you can find thats public to make a mod but credits are something at the end of a film we are not famous.

EDIT: ROON correct its not public as such they forgot to tern autodownload of then it was to late.

EDIT2: also says here http://www.f1racing-uk.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  4. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Chappielike2009 those credits were not there yesterday.. and when i asked the people at F1racing they told me they would not do anything.. so you can well understand our frustration in the whole matter.. Private use is one thing public use is another..

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

How is this any better? If 50 guys have the mod is that better than making it public? Where's the cut off? 100? 200? What if it's made public but only 114 people d/l it? Is that worse than 150 in a private league?

My thought it, content is content and nothing should be hidden from the public. Most of it is illegal anyway (ripping any part of a commercially available game without expressed written permission of the company that made the game is illegal- period.) People get so wound up over this ****. Live and let live- use the mods, get it all out there and JUST ****ING PLAY THE GAME.

My server is up right now with the Senna mod final with Snetterton and Croft. Go race- it's a GAME.

6. ROON

ROON Registered

For a league of our size we felt it acceptable. A dozen real-life friends, all in agreement that the mod will be privately used among ourselves, and no one else. In groups like ours there is a high level of trust, and that means we're all confident that no one will leak the mod to the general public. Why does it matter, you ask? As Slothman stated, it's about respect. Unless the groups we 'borrowed' content from were happy for people to remix and redistribute it - which most mod crews aren't - we wouldn't want to have our private mod out in the public domain. Individuals, whether a part of a modding crew or working alone pour a lot of hours into creating these cars and circuits for us to all have fun on. The least we as a community can do is respect their wishes regarding the terms of use.

2 people like this.
  7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1
    wonder how many times it has to be repeated, but it seems some people just don't accept common sense imo.

1 person likes this.
  8. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Well good news guys.. we have the full explaination as to what happened with the sounds and ect for the 88 mod.. as chappielike2009 said it was really a mistake that it got released... it was intended as a learning tool for them to practice making mods with.. as he stated they had it on the servers and was picked up by many people.. therefore no point in trying to hide it or delete it.. They have made the credits known on there site and we have accepted the appology..

*** Please guys to all who want to convert or take bits and pieces from rF1 cars... try and make an attempt to contact the original authors.. ask them nicely and they may grant your wish..**** all we ask is try ...

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats good news for once...

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Good to see this work out since this is an entertaining mod.

Can someone explain how I can modify the exaggerated movement that is displayed when transitioning from gas to brakes within this mod?

I don't want to make any plr changes since (my understanding) that will affect other cars but I assume this type of change needs to be done within a file that corresponds to this mod? Looked around a bit but didn't see anything obvious.

EDIT: Changed Head Movement from 100 to 50 and that took care of it. Before felt like I didn't any belts on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This is the best thing to do...but sometimes is not so easy..:(

I'm searching for the Japan F3 sound authors but I can't find any contact....They ask just for a credit in the readme file but I would like to have a proper authorization to use their sounds before I can make my own sound pack...:/

PS; if someone know a way to contact those guys...I really appreciate..:)

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As long as you give them credit as their readme suggests, then you already have their permission to use the sound files.

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It is corrupted for me also. Viewing it from within winrar, you can see it does not pass crc check.
    Winzip gave crc error, but it did unpack it. This download (once extracted) is about 2 megabytes smaller than the Senna rfmod I got off of server. (that would explain the crc error)

15. JvM

JvM Registered

Yeah I get the corrupt error too.

16. Alesi

Alesi Registered

ok, where we can download a workable one?

17. RRobert

RRobert Registered

I have send email admin .... Reupload files correct

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Just in case the error remains, one of my fellow Racedepartment Administrators was so kind to post a download link @ RD, so hereby for those with issues with the above post.
    Click here for the post, and download via Gamefront.

19. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Well, i downloaded and is the same version i already have installed. 2.0 same size. There is something diferent?

20. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

It''s the final version as posted before. Just a different upload.

If you have issues, then you probably haven't followed install instructions (if any are present). Did you have the previous version installed? I think that needs to be uninstalled first. Not sure though, as I have not tested the mod myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.