Wow what a difference

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jun 1, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I just upgraded from a G27 to a 911 GT3RS v2 wheel from Fanatec. I've had Logitech wheels ever since I started sim racing and I always thought the FFB was great.

Now I see that my G27 was just a toy :D

The multiple belt motors is soooo much better than the gear motors of my G27. All the rattles and shakes are gone, the curbs feel like curbs, off track feels like grass and dirt, I don't have to mess with controller.ini settings. I can run over rumble strips and curbs and go off track without fear and with full FFB.....And the FFB is just fantastic!!! I thought it was pretty good before (on track), but now it's like a whole new game!

I can't even describe the difference. All you Logitech owners, do yourself a favor and get a belt motor wheel.

2. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

the GT3RS should not be that much better than G25 or G27 , though I know some people prefer how it feels and depends on the type of driver you are , one thing with the g25 is that its very raw and direct. I know other people that mostly do F1 racing and sent the GT3RS back as it was not as precise as the G25.

http://f-wheel.com/images/csre-benchmark/wheel-comparison-big.gif

From this graph it would seem the CSR elite and the T500RS are the only wheels worth upgrading to from g25/g27 if you are after raw performance.

In the end if you are happy with the wheel that's all that matters :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Being able to drive over curbs and rumblestrips and go off track at full FFB and no "filters" without my wheel feeling like it's going to explode is worth every penny :)

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its not that the GT3RS is a better device (It might be in general) but its that the belt and the way its set-up act as physical dampening , where as the G25 and 27 shake to bits because they don't have any built in dampening and the nature of magnets in moters / how the cogs are set-up.

I think its better to dampen on the software side where you can chose how much you want as aposed to on the hardware side where there is a inbuilt limitation. That is unless the wheel like the Elete and the T500 are as base units more responsive than the cheep g25 and g27 and GT3RS.

Obviously you might just like the feel of the GT3RS more anyway ! I would realy like to have the spare cash to move from g25 to t500 with F1 wheel or CSR elete.

It would also be nice to try your wheel , at the moment I can only go by that graph and what people have told me.

5. coops

coops Banned

have the gt2.. next upgrade from that for me is the new csp wheel

6. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Humm they look good. But sooo expensive! :eek:
    ...maybe the CSR wheel only and with the adapter my G27 peldals, what do you think?

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I love that the Fanatec wheels have belts, I love the smoothness of their behavior, I love the overall feel of them... But I can't love the wheels as a package, and would choose a G25 anytime, every time (I frigging hate that they took sequential mode out of the G27). And it all boils down to just one thing: Speed. Just driving them and comparing them subjectively, the Fanatec wheels, especially the Porsche wheels, are slower than the Logitechs. And it's not only subjective feeling, tests have clearly shown it too.
    View attachment 2659

They're slower in every aspect, the top speed, how fast they change direction, and how quickly they react to the input signal. And the site that did that test was a Fanatec fansite, so if anything they'd be biased against the Logis. No matter how smooth they feel, that is unfortunately just unacceptable for me, especially given my penchant for drifting.

With all of that said, the CSR Elite is pretty clearly the ultimate wheel, beating the T500 RS quite handily wrt. FFB response and speed, and I'm currently saving up money for one. CSW would be enticing, but since the mechanics are the same as in the CSR Elite, and you have to buy the wheel rims separately, and you lose the console support, AND you can get additional wheel rims for the CSR Elite eventually anyway, so unless the limited amount of buttons really bothers you that much, I can't really see much reason for getting the CSW. =)

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I don't understand why a belt would act as a damper. Unless it stretches or slips it's response should be instantaneous. Most are notched to prevent slipping. And while I have no hard data to offer, I'm sure the belts are strong enough not to stretch. It's not like their stressed that much. I personally don't set my FFB high enough to require signifiacant arm strength to counter it's pull. My lowly CSR non-elite doesn't feel dampened to me and just losing the aggravating rattle I had with my G27 makes my sim driving way more enjoyable and realistic in my eyes. Those rattles represent what should be subtle forces that G27 just can't convey properly.

That's the way I went. The fact that it's "only" a $250 investment (non-elite) if you keep the Logitech pedals kind of did it for me. Maybe someday I'll step up to an Elite. But for right now I'm satisfied and enjoying the lack of rattle. Does anyone think $550 for the Elite wheel alone is gouging a bit? I voted with my wallet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  9. coops

coops Banned

unless u using perfect pedal with the Logitech,would get the csp's as well

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Exactly the reason I switched. I want to feel the curbs as curbs.... not huge jolts and rattles. And now they feel like curbs. Everything just feels better.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The belts feel more fluid, I think that's what is being described. Holding a steering wheel you do get jolts, but the steering does continue working, too. The belts seem to allow that.

12. gotBurner

gotBurner Registered

Software settings work wonders, I've got my G25 feeling quite comfortable. But, I was lucky enough to tweak it just right. Rumbles, etc, feel fine to me. Glad you're enjoying your wheel.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Care to share?

14. dibbdroid

dibbdroid Registered

I disagree. Having moved from a G25 to a CSR Elite + Club Sport pedals there is no comparison. The G25 served me well for several years but the Elite is a whole new ball game. If I didn't have a community thing going on in Forza 4 with some mates I would have held out for the ClubSport wheel. One of the guys had a Fanatec Porsche GT2 which I felt was not as good as the G25 but the Elite is a whole other matter. The quality of the item is second to none and worth the money.

15. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

How is the Noise compared to G27? not the FFB but the wheel rotation?

16. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think the belt allows for the overall smoothness of the wheel but it will have some inherent dampaning to it simply because its another piece in the system and rubber has some flex to it ( even if its not slipping) Granted the G25 also has some dampening in the fact you can feel there is some give in the bite of the magnets/moters.

With the CSR elete and the top of the line belt wheels you get the advantage of the smoothness of the belt + a rubber feel + silent operation + speed and force from higher quality moters/drive system than the g25.

So belt drive is only a detriment when used with weaker or slower moters , the G25 can work with cheaper moters or a more simplistic and cheaper to manufacture configuration and provide faster response than the cheep belt wheels but as a result it feels notchy and raw.

So depending on budget its probably better to go for g25/27 if you have 130-200 after that you have to look at spending 500+ The other side of it is getting wheels for console but if you are spending 200+ on a wheel I don't know how its possible to put up with all the issues of console games ( physics, graphics , multiplayer , DLC ) I own a 360 and play allot of console games as well :p

I am speculating to some extent , but from my understanding and that graph posted that's the way I see it, I would love more data on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  17. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Sorry I dont got it? You meant that you did what I am planning to do? And it's worth?

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Yes i did what you are planning. I'm happy i did it. I am satisfied with the CSR non-elite wheel. I'm not saying you will be satisfied. Just that i am! :)

19. Kenneth Sehested Pedersen

Kenneth Sehested Pedersen Registered

+1

20. RafBR

RafBR Registered

If the FFB system is the same (Elite/Non-elite) I guess I will be happy ;)