Colors. Please add a saturation adjust if these colors are going to be this silly

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by ZeosPantera, May 29, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is most notable in the curbs and red signs at the beginning of this video.

I practically adjust televisions and computer monitors for a living and I know when the saturation is too high on something. Maybe it is just the HDR doing this but something must be done.

THIS does not look good.

2. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Adjust, or calibrate displays?

I'm not on my calibrated monitir right now, so I won't comment. In that video it seems a bit overdone, but can't say I've noticed anything playing on my proper display. at 1:50 you can see the red being oversaturated.

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

On one of my GDM-FW900's so things stand out more than on a flat panel. I don't call it calibration unless an actual calibrator is used. When I have to judge by eye with patterns I just call it adjustment.

4. Rantam

Rantam Registered

I also think colors are too saturated. But it's still a beta, so hopefully they're already aware of that and it's something that will be corrected in the future.

BTW, probably there's no need to be that 'aggressive' when posting ;)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Good pair of eyes you have. I found that the reds are somewhat saturated recently. They were even more saturated before the last changes made to the lighting before build 85. And right now it's a bit better again in the current build. So I'm not worried in the slightest about it though. Until the graphics are final, I know I have to be prepared to go back and tweak ALL textures to balance them. It's always much easier to desaturate than trying to add extra colour, so right now I'm happy to leave things as they are :) .
    HDR does make things slightly worse, as it tends to make the scene a tad warmer.
    That said, some people do wear sunglasses all day long and don't appreciate the vibrant colours of nature. I wonder how many kids think the world looks BROWN and cinematically greyscaled :) .

Anyway, I agree that most displays out there are just plain bad :) . It's always a pleasure to move back to my trusty old monitor after working on the laptop for a day when I'm on the road. In many cases, adjusting cheap modern consumer displays only hides the symptoms, partly at best.

1 person likes this.
  6. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

"I wonder how many kids think the world looks BROWN and cinematically greyscaled ."

So true, hehe :rolleyes:

7. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Its colour, and yes its over-saturated.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not oversaturated. It is to warm as stated above. I'm looking through a window right now (very sunny day) and colour saturation is comparable. But when all objects start to reflect cubemape (mostly sky) it will get more cold in some angles of view.

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I wonder if texture artists doing their trade on high end calibrated monitors experience the same kind of problems with the general public that sound engineers do with their high end flat response monitoring equipment... =)

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The only color that bothered me was that red on the signs and curbs. I liked everything else. The sun is the most important part of making it look real.

11. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Yep, as I said, the reds seem to be reacting rather strongly at the moment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted that :) .

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The only color that REALLY bothers me is the red dot in the rpm lights of the FISI. =)

13. Flaux

Flaux Registered

And that blue dot in the trackloading screens... :cool:

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

YEEESSSSS!!!! Thank you! :D

15. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Ok, tried it with my calibrated displays (both the LCD and projector), and both exhibit significant red clipping in the latest build. It's almost as bad as iRacing in this respect, actually. So, thank god devs are aware of this.

And to the guy that said saturation was comparable to outside, there is no chance in somewhere very hot that today's displays can reproduce the full gamut of real colours. Trying would result in what we see in the latest build, clipping. The example in the OP with the red suit is a good example of clippig. When a colour goes from textured to uniform, that means the signal wants to have even more colour, but there is no more to be had. The red channel is maxed out. It works the same as an amplifier or speaker clipping, it's a similar signal after all.

16. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

:D yup loloollo

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Y'know...I noticed that from Day 1 of the beta. When the loading screen .psd was released, I rushed in and tried to figure out what was causing it (the bk_overlay layers). Unfortunately, I was too lazy to say anything about it 'till now. :D

18. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

THAAAAAAANKYOUUU.... I'm not crazy!! Wooeehh!!:D

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

For your information the saturation adjustment setting you are asking for is there, its not in rfactor 2 though, there are buttons and settings on your monitor you can do it right there (might even be able to save the settings so you can quickly go back and forth, depending on the monitor), if you don't want to deal with physically adjusting monitor settings, then there are thousands (literally) of tiny programs out there for free download where you can adjust this from and make it perfect, if that is still too much work then in your video cards control panel/options you have all these same image settings adjustment options aswell. 3 great options for you if you would like to adjust colours, rgb values, contrasts, etc etc

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Spinelli does have a valid point.
    At my last workplace I took care of 5 computers, out of those 5, there were 4 different brands and models of computer screens.
    None of them were adjusted the same.
    I doubt that OP's video looked the same to a majority of those who viewed it.