FR3.5 Flipping

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by PLAYLIFE, May 28, 2012.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Had lost both front and rear wings and bent steering. Driving down the straight at Sepang, accelerating in 5th gear I lost control of the car due to the damage (this was fine). The car spun and upon rotating through 90 degrees it then flipped over (like a barrel roll) despite still being on the tarmac of the circuit. I will provide some screenshots which will better describe than words.

Anyway, I would not expect a single seater to flip over when driving (or spinning) on tarmac even if it did have front and rear wing damage (or missing).

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

4. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I experience the same problem with the 370Z and partially with the Maserati and 3.5, although with the last one it was an instance that I didnt try to reproduce yet and at the time didnt take screens of.

For the 370Z and Maserati issues check here:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5531-370Z-Flipping-over-physics-issue

These posts didnt not receive any reaction of the devs yet, but I am really curious about the causes.

Greets,

R

5. TJones

TJones Registered

I had also such an issue, at Mills at turn 3 in a FR3.5.
    I lost the rear at turn-in, than slided at around 90 deg. driftangle over the grass left of the apex, did a small jump over curb and landed with a banking of around 10 deg., resulting in an instantly flip over.
    I dont think this should happen in a Formula car. One reason could be the quite remarkable increase of tire grip in build 85.
    But not the only.
    One thing I noticed since the first build with every car is a relative low drop of grip at high friction speeds (difficult to explain:confused:), which occur at drift angles over 30 deg or heavy spinning or blocking of tires.
    Which resulting in a very high rate of "half spins" or drifts around 90 deg. And therefore unrealistic low rate of spins around 180 deg. and more.

6. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

It shouldn't happen indeed, especially as you landed on the grass, which should have a much lower friction coefficient. The moments I wrote about in my post were all with b69. Havent yet tested b85 for this behaviour with a rubbed in track and will do this later, but already saw some AI's flipping over when touching the curbs at Malaysia, which doesnt give much hope for an improvement with this build.

7. TJones

TJones Registered

No, I possibly press me unclear Rony, I slided over grass, jumped a bit, and at last landed with both right wheels back on the tarmac where I instantly flip over.
    In real live I saw some slightly modified series (stock) cars with soft suspension, high center of gravity, and soft slick tires on hillclimb races who flip over, and that without hitting a curb very much, but never a Formula car. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  8. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I didnt quite get that indeed:) But it should not happen happen in either situations, landing on grass or tarmac. I hope its a problem in the TGM that will still be amanded

9. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Same here on a Megane @ Sepang, you can see it on a vid i did, here.