Is there no interest in the 60's F1 cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, May 26, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... I never really thought about the online thing osella but you do have a point...

It`s just like we both have said though, rf2 really does need a working clutch.

You watch any old footage of F1 in the 60`s (Grand Prix - the movie, is a good source of this) and you can see/hear them changing gear manually and there`s actually quite a bit of time taken to change gear, no where near as fast as we can do it in rf2 even when depressing the clutch pedal and using the H-shifter...

We need this in rf2 for the 60`s content especially imo as then, and only then, can you really say your doing it as it was done. :)

2. argo0

argo0 Registered

Tim? What's the score with the clutch issue please mate? When you get a minute.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I remember doing a Historix race one time back when i did not have a clutch and not sure how or how was enforced but there was a penalty if you did not use clutch (it shifted slower or something like that). Someone that knows more will have to clarify...

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I believe they had to double clutch.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I believe they possibly did... therefor if they had to do it so should we. In an ideal world that would be the case for authentic realism imo.

Maybe this would be impossible, I know nothing of how much work that would be but it would be great to have.

:)

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

doubleclutching isnt something mystic, its just matching revs with gear, an experienced biker does this instictivelly.

You can do all this in rf2 too. Only thing is, if you dont, you can still do clean changes without even using clutch and that is not realistic at all.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes it is bro. I'm walking my 2nd 5K "Race for the Cure" later this month. Very personal cause for me.

@Everyone: Have women in your life you care about? Wife, girlfriend, daughter, sister, mother, aunt, cousin, etc...? Get involved. Get them to do regular self-exams, get mammograms, see their doctor.

Early detection is everything.

Sorry for OT :)

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hear, hear!!

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I think I have a host setup but need someone to test that they can get to it. Game name is 60s F1. Please let me know whether you can get to it. Thanks!

10. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

I get "server connection failed".

11. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Same here, connection failed

Sorry Deak, I did a reformat and my server hasnt been on for a few days. But its up and running again and hopefully better :)

12. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

If I can help Knnorpp, let me know :)

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thanks all. I'm going to double check my port forwarding. Stand by...

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Sorry I am going to have to look at this later as something else has come up. I will send an update for retest later. Thanks again.

15. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Ok bud :)

16. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

"You never had me...you never had your car! Granny shifting...not double clutching like you should."

Sorry, just had to quote a great film :p

Anyway, here's the point: Unless you're piloting a classic car, YOU NEVER WANT TO DOUBLE CLUTCH. Why? There's no need, ever since we invented synchronized gearboxes. This type of gearbox, invented in the 50's and fully ubiquitous by the 80's, uses a system of "dog collars" and synchro rings to match the speeds of the gear you are in to the gear you want to be in, preventing grinding.

Before that, you had to match gear speeds manually. This is what's called double clutching. To simplify the process, you put the clutch in, shift in to neutral, let the clutch out, press the clutch again, and then shift into your gear (and let the clutch out). You can do this on a modern, synchronized transmission if you want, but it's not necessary at all.

I'm not sure when F1 cars got synchros, but I did spend a few minutes researching the Cosworth-Hewland combination that's in our Matra MS6 (as well as pretty much everything else from the time period), and due to not finding any info on whether it's synchronized or not, I will say that I would be shocked to find that DFV's ever had non-synchronized transmissions.

Cliff's Notes: Just single clutch, folks. Clutch in, move the lever, clutch out.

1 person likes this.
  17. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

No, sorry..

18. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

Hewland gearboxes had no synchromesh. The DFV used in the Lotus 49 was originally mated to a ZF gearbox which did have synchromesh, but it was replaced by a Hewland box from 1968.

Edit: I should say that there was no need to double declutch with a Hewland box. Indeed, drivers could change gear without using the clutch if circumstances required it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I may be mistaken, but I think the early syncro transmissions were not used widely for a while due to weight issues. The syncro transmissions were a lot heavier than the non-syncro ones.

20. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

The problem with the synchromesh ZF gearboxes used by Lotus in the 60s wasn't weight but the fact that internal ratios could not be changed at the track. I don't think synchromesh was ever widely adopted on F1 gearboxes.