Heat haze on asphalt?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, May 23, 2012.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Since there is heat haze coming from engine/exhaust, I was wondering if this was also possible for the asphalt when the track is hot enough.
    I don't know if you get my meaning, because english isn't my native language, therefore I'm going to post a picture if I can find a good one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  2. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I think rF2 already does this. But you have to have the graphics turned up. I look ahead and I see what looks like a heat haze on the pavement. It' a neat effect, but it's not like the haze off the car exhaust.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No. it doesn't for whole track.

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

No it doesn't, but I think it would be a super cool effect to have, infact it may actually make the tracks look ultra real. Together with road reflections and what gripes we have with the quality of the rubbered in racing line textures and some aliasing on the tracks white edge line its possible with this effect those problems will be solved. I run max AA and supersampling but still see tiny jaggies briefly on the white edge line but only when in motion only.

Please add this effect.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If I am understanding you correctly, I think it already does this if the angle and surface temp is at the correct level for you to see it from the cockpit.

7. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

Yes, there is heathaze from asphalt. You see it well at long straights.

8. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

And what power PC?
    For more applications are becoming more PC will be a war machine and there much any more will be able to afford it.

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Tim, I know what you mean but that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the actual distortion (?) of the air above the asphalt. Which makes everything in the distance look blurry. I hope you see now where I'm coming from? Looks like Bart knows what I'm talking about. Maybe he can explain it better than me.

By the way, Bart, are you the guy you pushed me off track yesterday on IsR? I was in 3rd! This rarely happens! No hard feelings though. Been a fun race nevertheless.

10. 88mphTim

Well that's an extension of the existing code. I'm not sure how far they want to take it. It does tend to look bad in screenshots at the moment (the heat haze) because there is no change in focus yet foreground to background.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Isn't it mirrage effect? It's kind of another thing.

12. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

Yes, it's mirage effect.

13. 88mphTim

Same cause, similar coding. :)

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

So the mirage effect actually uses refraction (i.e. depth-based) instead of reflection? I've always thought that it uses a technique more along the lines of a reflection. It seems to me that what the OP referred to is a depth-based refractive effect. I'm sure it's possible to do, but I'd imagine it's quite expensive (even with some cheats).

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Similar coding? hehe.. you mean by using the same programming language? ;)
    Mirage effect may be done just by shader on object surface.
    Haze is rather volumetric effect, it expands upwards along the direction of hot air.

16. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

@MaXym, maybe Tim means both effects are triggered by the same parameters (viewing angle and surface temp)?

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I don't know what Tim meant, cause I am no allowed to speculate about it ;)
    But these are completely different optical phenomenons, even if both are (loosely) related to temperature ;)

18. 88mphTim

But you did do, so obviously you are mistaken about not being 'allowed'.

Thanks for the reminder for myself not to give small replies without fine detail, better with none. :)

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

+1

Thank you!:D

Something like the depth of field effect you see in modern fps games would be a good starting point and then maybe add the heat effect from the engines on top of it somehow.

20. Bart S

Bart S Member

Change in focus? Is this a new effect to be added?
    I like this effect it looks good but not sure how it would work or if it would be correct if implemented in my circumstances.
    For eg. I uses TrackIR with triple screen setup and it is absolutely awesome and I wouldnt want anything to ruin my first class cockpit experience that I have now. Now with me constantly moving my head around my focal point will constantly change depending what I looked at if it was the dashboard or the horizon.
    If you take the need 4 speed shift focal effect it looks good but its purely driven by the speed the car is traveling at which is wrong in reality and I think in sence works pretty arcadie. Now imagine with a trackir and the focal effect was always there but to a lesser extreme and changed depending where you pointed your head and where you look with your eyes. Another thing that would need to be considered is the FOV could also cause issues.
    After thinking about what I just written I'm not sure it would be all that easy to implement or better just left with the arcade sim genre.