[REL] [Track] Heartland Park Topeka

Discussion in 'Locations' started by ethone, May 12, 2012.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Updated AI parameters and some improved textures for the distant trees would make this mod much more appealing.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Ha, I'm kind of glad it took until now for someone to notice the trees. ;) They were an early version I created with a tree generation program and they fell kind of flat anyway through looking a bit artificial and plastic-ish. The rF2 lighting I slapped on it didn't help them any but in my opinion most people won't really notice it while driving. I'll rather move on to other tracks like Road America and another track I probably am not allowed to mention. ;)
    For Road America a new approach to trees is planned, perhaps I can copy that over to Topeka as a small-scale deployment area when it's sufficiently advanced. As far as I can see just new textures aren't necessarily enough to make the most (or even an acceptable level) out of the trees.

I'll check out the AI parameters Tony mentioned but I don't think that's it. Fuji is waaaay worse than Topeka, and I'd say noticable worse than Mid-Ohio as well. I'm not at home and can't check, but since I re-did the AIW for Fuji through the rF2 dev mode, shouldn't those parameters be the rF2 ones?

3. Mauro

Mauro Registered

thanks a lot ethone,
    very fun track!

i love the club layout with F1 historic cars :)

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

As you are talking about AIW stuff, i noticed one other problem with the AIWs (tested with Meganes at 110% difficulty): the AIs nearly spin out every time i saw them enter the pits. Maybe the pit-path splits away too late!? or maybe it splits away not smooth enough!?
    just wanted to let you know about that observation...
    otherwise i really love this track!

5. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd rather see you "perfect" this track before moving on to something else. I don't want the mod scene for rF2 to end up looking like it did for rF1 (tons of half-finished, low-quality tracks). I'm not suggesting that Topeka fits that description, but as one of the initial modders, I think you have an obligation to keep things trending in a positive direction.

Please don't toss this track in the "good enough" pile and move on.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

Likewise please don't take this the wrong way, but perfection is an impossible goal in itself even when you disregard ability, resources and motivation of the modder. I could have spent another six months on Fuji and I could spend a year on Topeka but that's neither efficient nor would my motivation and free time likely be able to support that approach.

Do you remember the Le Mans 91-96 track for rF1? That's what happens when you keep asking for perfection. A track that never sees the light of day.

As I said, the AI will be reviewed when the rF2 beta is about to end or the AI is not going to be changed anymore, that goes for Topeka as much as for Fuji and Mid-Ohio.
    The trees will likely be replaced when we have found a goood (in quality and performance) way to make use of the new technology rF2 offers.

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

@ethone

Are you planning to convert on rf2 Sebring and Lemans?

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I'd say that modders can do what they want, and players can play what they want.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And players may request from modders what they want, even if id the end modders will do what they want.

10. ethone

ethone Registered

If you wish to drive all modders out of rF2 leaving you with only the original content please continue to request like you have. You're on the right way towards your goal.

1 person likes this.
  11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Some mods are great some are not that's the way modding is. Right now we have a handful of beta tracks and Ethone is doing more for the rf2 community than anyone else so everyone should be respectful and thankful. Anything a modder outs out is better than the nothing I put out.

I'm also curious about other VLM tracks- for Race 07 they are the finest tracks out there. Will any others be converted?

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I suffered from the exact same thing when creating levels for Unreal/Quake II, Unreal Tournament etc. You can spend as long as you like on a level but there needs to be a point where you just have to release it. One of my main regrets was never releasing a CTF level that EPIC MegaGames (as they were called then) had tested for me and thought it was one of the best....I just kept tweaking it and eventually made it worse and never got it out.

As for RF2 this is still beta so I'm downloading all mods & tracks as though they are beta themselves in the hope that guys like you will "tweak" them once the game goes Gold. If not then at least we have these mods/tracks for now and hopefully things like the AIW will be able to be edited by others in the future not just the author of the track.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm not sure it was reaction on my post but I didn't ask modders for anything. I only commented a post.
    BTW I'm sure modders will not let anybody with original content (even if in some cases it would be better option). Personally I think asking for better quality, and reporting flaws is just best way to reach better quality, once in future.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  14. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thanks a lot for this new tracks with multi layouts.
    Nice job.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

++ rep, QFT

16. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I'll answer for him. Yes, we plan to convert Sebring and Le Mans to RF2.

I have no idea when so do not bother to ask.

17. Jux

Jux Registered

The idea of mod development should be improving the looks of rF2. This track have quite poor textures.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What about Rouen les Essarts? That's another fantastic track. I've had some great races there in rF1 & Race 07. In race leagues, normally VLM tracks are standard to include in the race calendar.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lots of thanks in advance. Many people waiting I believe:D

20. Edu

Edu Registered

+1 :)