permission - author unavailable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaXyM, May 7, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It happened a few times that we get no any answer from author while asking for permission. no "yes" nor "no". Just author is not responding. Another case if why contact information is not valid any more and contacting author of content is impossible.

What should we do in that case? interpret it as "not permission given" or community may feel it in another way?

with regards

2. toebee

toebee Registered

I'd say no, you don't have permission. No answer doesn't mean yes, or even maybe.

2 people like this.
  3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

But it may means he doesn't care about this any more (for example lost interest into rf modding etc).
    But I agree that from formal point of view he is only one who own rights.

4. mxstud

mxstud Registered

it does not clearly mean no either though, i agree, if you can not contact him it could be lack of interest, or also busy with everyday life, i think if you tried contacting him over 10 times in a month and no response, he likely just lost interest, and will have no issues, just make sure that you give credit to author and not yourself...

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Oh yeah, I also know this problem!
    I first thought this was a general problem with the communication-behavior
    of the people nowadays.
    I also don´t know how many chances we have to give,- 10 times in a month? mmhh....
    When the people have problems with saying a symply "no", then I would interpret it as a loss of interest.
    When this should not be the case, the people are self-responsible if I/ you have another interpretation of
    theire silence.

Just my opinion...

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

change a couple of signs and then it's not theirs anymore. No response = Do IT!

7. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Offcourse it's a no...

It's simple. The readme file (or whatever credit file you have) says no. So, without asking, the answer is no, as written in the readme.

What you want to do, is make an exception to the readme or copyright. When you get no answer, you get no permission, so the conversion is not legal. I am pretty sure ISI will close the topic without explicit permission, and so would I do at Racedepartment.

Offcourse, it's your own choice, but beware that in principle, you are acting against the copyright laws.

Lack of interest is in no way a legit reason to break the copyright laws.

1 person likes this.
  8. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

+1

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I really do not understand this kind of questions;

If you want to convert and RELEASE something protected by copyright, without a write permission, the answer is no without other steps. The author doesn't have to care too much about request and he's not forced to reply. I do not see any problem here.

You can't release materials protected by copyright...

BTW, if you like those materials use it as a reference and made it from scratch. Is much more fun and you won't have to worry about legal stuffs...:)

1 person likes this.
  10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah make your own rules to suit you, sites have made their own rules about copyright..........PLEBS !

............and I have a god complex because I help train up Rookies were I can.

lmao

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

as some in an industry that deals with copyright; it's most certainly a no. however it really depends on what country you're in and what countries you ever want to visit without being sued or arrested.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I've known guys who've ripped tracks from a certain well known racing sim. Nothing has ever happened to them. Really what could?

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

oh you can steal all day long and not get caught... but if you do get caught copyright law in the united states allows up to $150,000.00 fine. jail time... seizure of computers and storage media, legal fees... etc etc.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

if the person who steals is not profiting from the copyright infringement it will go easier on him and be less expensive and perhaps even ignored... most of the stolen tracks from EA are still floating around and being used. even thought they have been re-worked many times. and to my knowledge EA has done nothing about it.

I might also add that there is copyright or trademark law that says you must actively defend your copyright... so if it's stolen by one person and you do nothing and then stolen by another and you try to sue... then you'll probably lose it.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I´ve decided for me right now that:
    If the people are not able to conversate a clearly "no", then this means to me
    they lost interest and I can do what I want!
    I don´t support this culture of non-conversation!
    Is this the communication of the 21st century? Not for me!

And: This has nothing to do with law-protected copyrights!

15. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

@Peterchen,

Do what you want, we can't stop you. But don't try to release it here or on any other self respecting community. And don't start complaining when communities dont want to use it, as it's illegal.

That last remark is just plain dumb. It has ALL to do with law protected copyrights. This is EXACTLY why those laws exist. To prevent uncertainty in cases like this :)

What you do or do not support is totally irrelevant. Law is law, rules are rules. I do not support the fact that I have to pay for the gas in my car. But if I drive off without paying, I surely will get caught, and punished for it. Like said, rules are rules.
    There is an explicit line in the release file that you can't copy it without authorisation. No response is still nop authorisation. So what you want to do is illegal. There is absolutely no question about it.

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@peterchen
    Every piece of software made by someone belongs to its creator. The creator has original rights to decide, what can and cannot be done. If there is no clear "yes" from the author, then you are not allowed to modify his/her work.

And it doesn't matter in what century we live and do you or do you not support "the culture of non-conversation" or whatever... it simply does not matter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Are you saying me I can steal your home just because you're not inside to say NO?

Nice to know man...:rolleyes:

18. Nils

Nils Registered

another one of those useless permission discussions.
    NO modder holds ANY copyright for his mod. No one has a license from the car manufacturer, no one is really allowed to paint some conpany´s logo on his car. So basically any mod or skin is illegal. And then modders want to forbid people to "steal" their "stolen" stuff?
    The community should respect really licensed stuff (i.e. material from commercial products which is licensed and legal) and go for "open source" on the rest, which it is when you look at it in the light.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Very interesting point, Nils. I never though this way, but sounds meaningful.

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Textures and models are still protected by copyright. So you can't use them without permission if they are not yours.

BTW. If you want to steal stolen mod, it's also a steal :p