Drag racing in rF2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by ethone, May 3, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Heartland Park Topeka has a drag strip that I have modelled anyway. Now I spent a bit more effort to make it somewhat functional for people to do drag races on.
    Currently Point-To-Point racing or quick back-to-back races are not implemented in rF2. So the best we can do is work around that limitation. I'll be describing how I did that and would like to know from those who would actually use this type of racing if it sounds practical or if there's anything I missed.

All that I figure is needed is one person to act as a marshal in an online session to give either feedback on times or to check parallel starts if that is what you're after.

First off, here's the relevant layout:
    [​IMG]
    The S/F line is obviously where the start happens. Sector 1 is after 0.25 miles, as I read is the usual distance for drag racing. ;)
    Sector 2 is at roughly 0.5 miles for a fictional, longer drag race.

There is a starting light at the S/F line that will cycle through a starting sequence so that you can start as many drag sessions as you wish within a session. It is roughly 12s between green lights.
    For the first lap to count you need to exit the pits area, cross the s/f line, cross sector 1, cross sector 2 and head back to the S/F line for the first "proper" start that will give you timed sectors.

Since the starting sequence is not tied to the ingame starting checks for false/early starts, parallel and simultaneous starts will only have added meaning if you have a marshall checking for early starts.

The way the timing works you will get a sector 1 time that will be your 0.25 miles time. Sector 2 can either be an additional time if you do the "long" dragstrip, or be a meaningless slow down sector before you cycle around for another go. If you move too far ahead at the starting line the timer would trigger and your time would count, kind of accidentally enforcing the starting placement.
    In comparing sector 1 times of two drivers you can check how good either was off the line. To add the reaction time from the green lights you would however have to visually check for early starts and who crosses the timing line at 0.25 miles (marked on the track) first.

Here is how a timing screen of a driver would look like:
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, here's a video of how it would look like, although with a single player for this demonstration:

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

good looking track... drag strip seems a little long, but I suppose that's for big bad ass dragsters that need a long break down spaces.

looking good. I hope rF2 implements some type of system to help with drag racing. but in the mean time nice work around.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You can do working point2point timing for drag strips in rF1 and quite probably in rF2 as well. Of course what you cannot simulate, is proper starting sequence with staging.

Trick is to use two timing gates for xsector 1 and 2, check out mianiak's post:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/timing-gate-issue-rfactor.10495/

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Using that A to B approach to drag racing strikes me as... inefficient. That would require restarting the race after each run, with a maximum of two cars. Or you get an equally bad timing sheet like mine above (where sector 1 is your 0.25 miles time), with every other lap being a "transition" lap instead of a drag racing lap.
    I was looking for a solution to allow quick back-to-back runs and for a way to check the scoring whenever you feel like it (or someone announces it).

I'm entirely open to suggestions how best to handle drag racing. I have very little interest in it myself beyond the basic curiosity of making an aspect of a track I created anyway work. Perhaps someone who would like to do drag races could chime in?
    I keep reading requests for drag racing whenever any sim asks for feedback, so there must at least be one such person out there. ;)

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'm in the same situation with Dunsfold. The TG layout it's not a drag race but needs a similar procedure and one of the 7 layouts is the long runway dragrace from A to B...so I really hope ISI will implement this new race method for non conventional circuits.

BTW I have to be honest...your first post it's not too clear for me. Language barriers sucks! :(

6. freew67

freew67 Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeKqpPKruaQ

This is how I have this track setup in RF1. Does it work... yes, is it perfect.. no but it works. As ethone said, total pain in the ass when you have a heard of drivers wanting to race. Granted, with only 2 people racing folks could host a race with a crap connection. Plus everyone can be in the server and you just set grid spot 1 and 2. Race is over, reset to warmup, set grid, go race.

The timing for Full Throttle goes as follows:
    Lap 1
    Sector 1: 60 ft
    Sector 2: 330 ft
    Sector 3: 660 ft
    Lap 2
    Sector 1: 1000 ft
    Sector 2: 1200 ft
    Sector 3: 1320 ft

Instance=xfinish
    {
    Render=False VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=xfinish.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xfinish001.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xfinish002.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xfinish003.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }
    Instance=xsector1
    {
    Render=False Change=False VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=xsector1.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xsector3.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xsector5.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }
    Instance=xsector2
    {
    Render=False Change=False VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=xsector2.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xsector4.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    MeshFile=xsector6.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False
    Response=VEHICLE,TIMING
    }

7. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

www.dragfactor.net is a dedicated drag racing mod for rFactor1, plans being to bring it to RF2, but require start lights. we are extremely interested in any development you may pursue regarding drag racing in RF2.

Angus94

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Very interesting stuff freew67! TY! ;)

9. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

DragFactor (mod for RF1) already uses Willowbank and Western Sydney drag stripes which operate efficiently with 1/4 mile timing. thereal issue, is start lights for drag racing, a working christmas tree for RF2 is critical to run drag racing properly. staging lights, red lights etc

10. Johannes Rojola

While I would love to see this, I am quite sure that we will ever see that implemented correctly in rF2. But community could do vintage drag mod from 50-60's which would be a lot simpler.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've said it before, I'l say it again-

If point-to-point timing works and ISI figures out a way to do scoring for multiple runs, figuring out how 2 drivers can race while others watch etc.... think for a minute about much racing is opened up for rFactor 2. Drag racing, rally and autocross. NHRA mods, hours of an autocross weekend (not just one race), street racing. This could be the most exciting part of rFactor 2 and could be the thing that sets it apart from all the other next gen sims.

HELL YEAH

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Point to point has been done with the rf1 engine by other devs. :) We are supposed to have proper point to point in rf2, but I don't know current status.

13. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

point to point racing isnt so much the problems. we have tracks in rF1 that can give us accurate timings down to a thousandth of a second, in fact, we have just completed out first series at DragFactor and Series2 starts on June 16th.

The REAL issue is to have a starting "christmas tree" that works. that means PreStage lights, Stage light, 3 sets of Amber lights, Greens light and Red lights, at the moment we use Teamspeak and call out '3, 2, 1, GO' to start a race

at the moment, with an "animated" start tree, both drivers see the lights change at different times, which you will understand just wont do the job (animated tree cycles through the lights on a continuous loop).

the cars need to pre-stage and stage at their own pace, vital for a proper race scenario.

cheers

Angus94

14. ethone

ethone Registered

...and a quick reset/ability to have multiple runs within a session would be needed as well, correct?

While no committed drag racer myself, I don't feel particularly inclined to go into a session to race just one other driver, then having to restart the weekend to be able to run the next start against the next just one other driver.
    Also, if you want to "prestage" (?) and have the cars approach the lights themselves the rF standing start procedure doesn't allow for that.

Point-to-point in the sense of a rallying stage or a country road drive can be made to work fine though, yes.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Also, to make a round-robin type event, everyone in the room needs to be able to watch the active race then switch off and the next 2 go.

This is what I mean by getting point-to-point right- it's more than just the timing itself. I didn't realize that the lights were such an issue- but saying Go! over TS isn't the most elegant of solutions, even if it does give more of an illegal drag sort of feel.

16. Golly

Golly Registered

Could the xmas tree be emulated using the current 3,2,1 style counting with start lights now, would be as simple as changing a texture to give you the amber and green lights. But yeah the speed would be the factor wouldnt it as they drop down quite quickly dont they... dunno... would be good to get it right but.

17. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

when we hold our racing nights, there are as many as 16 drivers, we race off in pairs while the rest watch the action, only 2 cars on track at any 1 time, and as each pair races, times are recorded, usually 1st qualifyer then reset the server, then 2nd/3rd qualifyers then reset the server. then we start eliminations and race down until we have a winner.

Recently we had a new member join who is a whiz with Excell spread sheets. he has created a spreadsheet for us to use at our race night, it will seed the drivers, sort lane choice, allow for data to be input of course and many other things to help us run a smooth event. any rules infractions (red lights) are usually agreed to by majority vote. it really is a fun nights racing, June 16th sees the start of series 2 of our league and we have 15 nominations to race so far.

The class we race are what is known as Top Doorslammer (in Australia) or Pro Mods (jn USA), standing start 'heads up' racing, NO Handicaps, whats known in Australia as 'Pro Tree'. i believe the 3 sets of amber lights are timed at 5/10ths of a second apart

http://www.r1concepts.com/blog/race-nhra-drag-racing-christmas-tree-explained/

http://media.ihra.com/drag-racing-basics

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtree.html

cheers.
    Angus94

18. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

although the light timing is important, BOTH drivers have to see it at the same time otherwise 1 driver will leave before the other.

19. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

saying GO! over TS is our only option, and we DONT want the illegal race feel, we'd rather have a working xmas tree. i'm told there is a 20 second rule in drag racing at the tree, some drivers deliberately stage late to cause their opponent to 'burn down' whilst waiting, its frowned upon but not illegal. with a working xmas tree we could experience the very same thing in our racing

20. Johannes Rojola

You should have Stock class, 5-6 seconds with ProMods is over too quickly :rolleyes: