Nvidia GTX680 Review - Sim Racing Perspective

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seahawks1Fan, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

This is my review of the Nvidia GTX680 video card focusing on sim racing (rFactor, rFactor 2, Iracing, and pCARS). I have tested this card out on triple screens running 5760x1080 at max settings to see how it performs.

I'm in the running to be a community tester for the upcoming Fanatec Clubsport Wheel. If I'm selected, I will be doing an extensive video review of the wheel and test it on multiple sims (rFactor, Iracing, pCars, rFactor 2, etc). I need your votes to have a shot at this. Voting ends on April 26th. Here is the link.
    http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=6863

2. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

I would like to know, how iR would run on highly detailed Monaco with all 3D Animations, realtime lighting and a full AI Grid in Front of the Car :)

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

:cool: nice review...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

the iRacing was typical... alone on a track. lol

5. Kosmo

Kosmo Registered

Well iRacing doesn't have Monaco, but if we can draw a conclusion from a quick comparison on my system:

rFactor 2: 30-50 FPS on any track, one car
    iRacing: 83 FPS (locked) on any track, full grid

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Very esaustive review!can you tell us something about your monitors?
    Righ tnow i have a cockpit with a 42" fullhd/led tv and I'm planning to switch to a triple 24" screen setup!
    thanks

View attachment 2090

7. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

I really appreciate the feedback. I figured guys might be interested in how this card performs as you always see single screen reviews, but never triple screen.

Did a test on pCARS at night with a grid of 20 cars at Watkins Glen (using DX11). At the start, I was getting around 30 fps. Once traffic lightened up, it went up to 40 and in some places 50.

I also tested at Spa on iRacing (no other cars on track) and I was averaging around 85 fps. The low was 78 (near the pit area) and went over a 100 a few times on track where there was less scenery.

8. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

I have Acer 23 inch monitors. I believe the model number is H233H and they are 60Hz. They are each set at 1920x1080.

9. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

GTClub_wajdi awesome setup man... that's some serious racing ...

10. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

I have with single car in iR 70-90 FPS and in rF2 50-60 FPS (exception Monaco, this is a special case in rF2), both on max settings, rF2 without HDR and FXAA

but rF2 has much more dynamicly features to render for each frame and the framerate in rF2 is very stable under all conditions though not very high

11. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

I'm confident rF2 will be solid on FPS by the time it's officially released.
    I know Tim has stated several times that it has not yet been optimized.

12. 64r

64r Registered

Hi Seahawks1Fan, thanks for a good and comprehensive review. Can you tell us which version of RF2 you were testing in the video, and how do the frame rates look with the latest 107 build? I'm looking to get this card but wondering if I should get the 690 instead?

13. coops

coops Banned

running 2x 560ti sli and get solid 55/65 fps and every1 is obsessed with the graphics don't know why. when its been said were still working on it and we are spending more time on physics maybe when its the other way round then i will start worrying. every post ends up being graphics.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed, of course I like decent graphics but I don't concern with them (especially in rf2 as its not released or finished yet)

Just turn details down in options & watch your fps fly! In the meantime steer your mind to the ffb/physics etc of rf2

:D

15. martymoose

martymoose Registered

3 monitors are pushing alot of pixels, maybe get a 680 for each screen lol.

16. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

Just did a quick test with Version 107. Running the same 60's F1 cars at Monaco with settings maxed out.

FXAA: 35-50 fps - average around 42 fps
    Anti Aliasing Level 8: 38-60 fps - average around 47 fps.

If I turn the Shadows down from Max to Medium, I get 48-71 fps and average around 55 fps.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  17. martymoose

martymoose Registered

What would be a good idea is if somebody were to post a replay file, then we could use that as a benchmark and get an idea of performance by running say the hotlap file with a fraps benchmark.

Unfortunately though old replay files have failed to work in new RF builds so this cant be used to compare performance between builds but only peoples setups.