Next Update.....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Thank you Tim. Such reports would be so satisfying.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Late? Late how? rF2 still doesn't have an official release date, you do understand that, right? I mentioned that I hoped you would be racing rF2 by Christmas, 2011. You were racing it in the first half of January. I obviously was slight out with the estimation (which is what it was), but to carry this frame of mind into everything you do seems very unfair.

Where were those features announced? I believe the only time driver swap has been mentioned is when we said we would work on it. Please send me a link if you can find it being said in any other way, but don't say we said things if we didn't, that's just not fair, is it? There are features (and content) we've mentioned that will not be in rF2 for over a year from now, probably some feature that someone wants might not even be added for two years. rF2 isn't a boxed product with a 'FINISHED' stamp on it, it never was, it never will be. You're kinda going to have to get used to that.

The graphics engine is still being worked on, and has been for years. I'm not getting your point there (why mentioned?)... But it isn't yet finished, so if we keep copying and pasting "We're working on the graphics engine today" every day (which someone is doing) that would make everything OK for you?

But yes, I agree that wanting to know about progress is natural. The rest of your post doesn't seem to be. It seems that you took discussion from non-ISI people as facts, but that is OK too, it's happened before and it will again.

3. 88mphTim

Yeah, I agree with that a lot.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well...repetition is good for education:D

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

.... What a turn up for the books, that was Tims response when I last enquired about a Dev thread...

Have to wonder if the sheer amount of grumpy posts on these forums has finally got a result! Let's face it, any potential customers thinking of joining the Beta would probably be having second thoughts reading through the negativity on these forums at the moment, a Dev update thread would be a fantastic way of "chilling" us impatient buggers! :)

6. 88mphTim

I'm allowed to change my mind. ;)

We're perfectly happy with a trickle of sales (it's the community that seems to have an issue with that and wants the community to be larger during testing). When it's being marketed, it'll be when we feel the product should be. If someone comes here at the moment and gets scared off, that's OK, they might go to another product, they might not, but we'll still be here. :)

This is a beta, it's going to slowly ramp up, features are going to added. Like I said above, it's very possibly that in 3-4 years time we could get a license and build some content that blows you away. It's not a short-term thing. Of course the major things will usually come first, but really it is only loosely planned. We wanted to do the infrastructure and physics first, we're not done with them, but now the focus is shifting a bit to how it looks and performs. At this point, it really isn't a concern most of the comments for that reason, and that's why replying to them isn't worthwhile either. People want those things now, and in the real world that's not possible.

I've dealt with this same need to change perception when I've worked with another dev. This isn't quite the same, but it is the same need to accept this not being boxed and done.

7. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I'm glad you have Tim :)

... I promise I won't start a thread titled "Update regarding the Dev update thread regarding updates" ;)

8. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

You really should read the Terms and Conditions thread, http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?77-Terms-amp-Conditions

"THIS IS NOT AN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY.

PLEASE DO NOT GET INVOLVED IF THAT IS WHAT YOU THINK IT IS – IT ISN’T."

"You will therefore be part of the Team that makes the game. You won’t be employees but should consider yourself freelancers, consultants or contractors - engaged on the terms set out below..."

9. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Than good!!!!!

But what about the update??? We have almost two months since the last .......

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

pCARS members have no more a say than people buying rF2. It's naive to think otherwise. Ive seen people on other forums touting their '€25 investment' and just sigh.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

...and they usually get kicked out of the forum if they just utter a different opinion...

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

exactly.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

...so its really a nice place to be here isnt it MaXyM;)
    and really thank you ISI for the hospitality:D

All the best, nikos

14. RafBR

RafBR Registered

@D1Racer
    Maybe you could say: "I definitely don't recall ISI saying anything about there being monthly updates." instead of "I don't recall ISI saying anything about there definitely being monthly updates." :D

Yes I think so... I think that was not said it would be a rule, but something for we to expect.
    Please let's not fight!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  15. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey Maxym I bet your knocking one out right now following the above quote, sounds like the graphics/visuals may be getting a little makeover, sooner rather than later. If the focus has been shifted sounds like they didnt plan on doing this but seen as a large majority of beta testers have mivered so much, they trying to keep us happy and confident that graphically it is going to get better.

Personnaly after maxing everything on my 680, HDR on at 10am at Spa with a slightly cloudy sky I think it looks really really good and beautiful, I think shaders and lighting need slight improvement on the track and reflections on cars and other objects, I also wanna see stones and the marbles effect on the track with some depth and better potholes, but the real difference will be in post effects.
    Maxym with your 275 you will never see the graphics that you think are not there, and if you do your framerate will kill your visual experience anyway, upgrade yourself to a 680 get your credit card out you already have an i5 2500. I'm not attacking your critic I just believe your missing something compared to what I see at 8x SS and so must a lot of people.
    I still struggle with framerate I'd like over 60 fps bottomline.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I cant' say I'm completely pleased with that but it is what it is.

@Maxym I agree with BartS. With your system good luck on getting the graphics/performance you are looking for. You might just be disappointed once again.

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

This kind of hyperbole irks me. I disagree with at least some of the devs almost on a daily basis, and so do a heck of a lot of other people. There has never been any problems with critique so long as you can use to make the game better. I've never seen anyone kicked out simply because they had a different opinion.

What I have seen is that people endlessly complaining about things without ever giving any real explanation of what they actually think is wrong (so the devs could maybe, you know, fix it), start insulting the devs, badmouthing them on other boards, attacking the other users, and outright lying. That will get you out, because clearly you're not interested in trying to make things better.

I understand that the internet with all of its anonymity is the best breeding ground for such behavior, but really, if you tried that sort stuff in real life you'd be shown the door even faster, maybe even get your ass handed to you on the way out. Why are you surprised the same happens in a private forum?

If anything I've seen the users be much more hostile towards people with differing opinions and unfounded/unexplained/undefined complaints here than over there. Thankfully it's not as bad now as it was back in Jan-Feb...

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The people that were refunded went into forums to say "their side of the story" so you can't blame some who listened to them. I don't know what happened on the sms side so I can't comment.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Ultimately it doesn't matter what approach ISI take because there will always be people for and against it. You could deliver the most sophisticated simulation ever created and there will still be detractors. Now, there's nothing wrong with that since everyone has different wants and opinions, but it's the way you come across and voice your opinions that is the real issue.

You can say "that's effing sh#t, don't you know what the hell you are doing, this is pathetic!?''
    ...or you can be civil about it and say "hey guys, I don't think what you've done here is good, I see problems with x, y and z."

Now tell me, which posts at whom the above would be aimed are going to be read and dismissed or read and taken on-board? If you've got some criticism, do it constructively. It takes more effort to be a pratt than it does to be nice about it.

Being negative all the time really grinds others down. You just see the poster and think ''here we go again, another barrage of criticism.'' To have the most impact and effect on a team, you need to both praise and give constructive criticism. All of only one or the other serves only to detract.

20. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

OP

Hey gang. OP here. I have been quietly watching the thread with interest. And I have a few points.

Firstly, thanks Tim for the mention of posting a stickied progress thread, updated every now and then with some yummy tid-bits regarding what has been happening. Will be very interesting and much appreciated.

Secondly, one if the problems with this forum - and pretty much any forum - is the fact that some of the people posting here could be 14 years old. Certainly, some of them post like it. And hence they can provoke a debate about something when they actually have very little real insight, and only came here to complain and provoke anyway. On top of that, not all daft morons are 14, either. So make sure you dont get your knickers in too much of a knot because of some post or the other. There are certain people regularly posting here, who have not offered a positive or helpful thought in their entire lives. I find them quite easy to identify, and thereby dismiss.

Interestingly, this thread started out as a joke - simultaneously mimicking the whiners, while also jabbing Tim in the ribs (I do that). It was certainly meant in good faith (notice the icon heading the thread? round and round and round...)

Anyhow - interesting how it has developed.

EDIT: Oh BTW - Tim W.? When is the next update?.....

.......TIM!...........Tim?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.